VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm in the market for a multiuse VCR to capture PAL Tapes to my computer via a Canopus 100. I have read that to use a PAL signal on a NTSC TV you need a convertor, does the Canopus 100 need a convertor as well?. Or can I just feed the signal to the Canopus as is - capture as is, and then use Virtualdub to convert the captured PAL avi to NTSC.

Where would I find a convertor for my tv(I'm going to use one to monitor the signal)

Thanks in advance for the help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    No need for PAL-NTSC converter, if you decide to author captured material as PAL DVD there are quite a few NTSC/PAL DVD players to allow playback of PAL material on a NTSC TV (JVC, Philips and others). To capture just run it through Canopus ADVC 100, it is PAL compatible, encode as PAL and make a PAL DVD. PAL playback quality on NTSC TV is very good.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm still going to need a converter for the VHS to TV hookup, as I'm going to use my NTSC TV as a monitor - does anyone know where I can buy one at?

My thanks in advance for all your help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First you need a special VHS VCR to play back the PAL VHS video. A standard USA model VHS VCR will not play back a PAL VHS ... external converter or not.

So you have two options ...

You can buy a multisystem VHS VCR that can play NTSC and PAL but it will only output the same. Play a NTSC VHS and you only get NTSC output. Play a PAL VHS and you only get PAL output.

This would be "good enough" for your set-tup as the Canopus ADVC-100 can capture a PAL video signal. Once it is on the computer you can convert to NTSC MPEG-2 DVD spec video.

The other option is to get the Samsung SV-5000 which is a multisystem VHS VCR with a video converter built-in so you can play a PAL VHS and have it output NTSC ... you can also play a NTSC VHS and have it output PAL if you want. I have never used the Samsung SV-5000 but I've been told by some people that I trust that the PAL to NTSC conversion is good ... although one person said it was shit ... I should point out he bought his years ago compared to the people that said it was good so maybe it is better now than it was.

Last but not least there are external boxes usually called "digital video converters" that have a videi in and a video out and they do PAL to NTSC or NTSC to PAL or sometimes both ... they will also often convert SECAM to either PAL or NTSC. Unfortunately these boxes are crap ass ... I've tried two that were both supposedly "the shit" ... one cost me $700 years ago and the other cost me about $350 ... both were utter shit. For the record I'm talking about the TenLabs TR-10SP and the CMD 850. Actually the Tenlabs unit was "OK" but not that great but it was "servicable" image quality wise ... the CMD 850 is an utter POS.

From what I understand the Samsung SV-5000 does better than either of those external boxes but personally I would just go with a basic multisystem VHS VCR ... capture as PAL with the Canopus ADVC-100 ... then convert to NTSC MPEG-2 DVD spec. I've done that myself and it works very well

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    Here are a couple of links to websites that sell multisystem video equipment:

http://www.world-import.com/

http://www.220-electronics.com/

GOOD LUCK !!!
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, and thanks for the reply - I think that I'm going to go with a multi system VCR, but I'm still going to need a "Box" to convert the PAL output to my NTSC TV so I can see the corrections that i'm making with my proc amp.

I've seen boxes that go between the VCR and TV on ebay for about $30.00 and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with those

Again, it's only between the vcr and tv that I'll need the pal>ntsc convertor so I can use my tv as a monitor

Thanks for all the help

Steve
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen boxes that go between the VCR and TV on ebay for about $30.00 and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with those
    I've never even heard of an NTSC <-> PAL standards converter that cost that little... If such a device exists, I can't imagine the quality could possibly be all that good. Are you sure you're not thinking of the "video stabilizers" you sometimes see for sale there? If so, those won't work -- video-standards conversion is a lot more complex than what those devices are capable of. They might be able to work with NTSC or PAL signals, but they can't convert from one to another.
    Quote Quote