VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi im using fairuse to convert DVDs into avi so i can then edit them, the propblem i seem to have is that when i convert tthem back and put them on the dvd edit dvd the picture is a bit pixulated,is there anyway around this or do i need to set the file size to a diffrent rate when i convert?

thank u for any help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't use fairuse. I haven't used it, but I am guessing it is reducing the resolution and compressing the crap out of the video.

If you must edit the footage, rip the disc to your HDD, using VOB2MPG to extract the mpeg video, edit with a good mpeg editor (womble or video redo), then re-author. This way there is little to no re-encoding, and therefore no quality drop.

Your method is like washing a car by pulling it apart, putting each piece in the dishwasher and letting all the smaller parts go down the drain, then re-assembling it and wondering why it rattles and nothing fits together.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. fairuse is a good tool, but not for the purpose your using it for...as a matter of fact, it's one of the better "1 click wonders" (even though, it's a few more than 1 click and it's a bit more configureable than most) yes, it does definately chop the resolution a bit, even if it's just to rid the video of the black bars..........ideally though, it's better to go straight from mpeg....
    Quote Quote  
  4. The avi's that other ppl are editing are generally uncompressed files eg they are pre-compression to mpeg2, and are huge files. They are used because they are inherently easier to edit... on a good system of course. Filesizes are tens of gigabytes, maybe 40 or 50!
    Your avi is subject to double compression first comprresed to mpeg2 for DVD then again to xvid/divx. It is simply a quirk that the less compressed original and the highly compressed end result use the same file container ( .avi).
    It all goes back to 1874 treaty with the chipawa indians.......
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FairUse Wizard can encode using ffdshow which offers several lossless encoders, including raw video. I agree though, better to edit the MPEG-2 directly if possible. That's if you are planning on putting it back on DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the help ill give that a go
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok just given the vob2mpeg thing a go and great quality but i have no sound any idea what i can do about that
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ryno_boi
    ok just given the vob2mpeg thing a go and great quality but i have no sound any idea what i can do about that
    Caveat: I'm guessing, given your description, see https://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=AC3_ACM_Decompressor
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    cheers is there any program thqat does it all in one sorry if im being uber cheeky
    Quote Quote