VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have recently tried to back up some of my DVDs that extract and burn without incedent. However, when I try to play any of the backed up dual layered DVDs on any of my DVD players, the menus do odd things like;

highlighting options doesn't return after selecting an option through the menu. so, after selecting say, to view the extras, and choosing to return the main menu, the main menu MIGHT appear - but there is no highlighting to know what you would be selecting next to navigate the DVD.

gray appears with incomplete screens become displayed when trying to navigate through the menu.

the menu does not functio at all.

This is a new development. I have been able to back up DL media before. And DVD5s work fine with full functionality. (Both shrunk from DVD9 and movies from a DVD5 format). The extracted DVDs play fine on my HD with VLC Media player - full functionality.

My DVD Burner is a Plextor 716A with the latest firmware (V 1.09)
    I use DVD Decrypter to rip and Nero 7.xxx to burn. (AND have tried different burning speeds.)
    I'm using Verbatim DVD+R DL discs
    I have Toshiba, Phillips and Lite-On stand-alone DVD players.

I can play the DVDs with VLC media player on my computer, but I tried the discs on 4 different DVD players with the same problem. Tests thus far on the discs do not show defective discs.

I hope this is enough information for a response and it is clear. If not, please ask! Thanks in advance to anyone who can help - this is VERY frustrating!

FDQ
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are just using Decrypter to rip the individual files, that might be the problem.

Instead, use Decrypter to rip to an ISO (while running AnyDVD as Decrypter is outdated), and then burn with Decrypter in ISO mode. Personally, I burn all ISOs with Alcohol 120%, but I've heard enough success with Decrypter to at least try. That should solve your problem.

FYI - If you try to remove things like foreign language, and reauthor the DVD, this can screw up menu navigation as well. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have to enable "Create MDS file" in Settings -->ISO Read Mode in order to record the layer-break information.

Then when burning you have to load the MDS file rather than the ISO.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK - good ideas all of which I'll try. It's interesting that DVD Decrypter is no good on its own anymore. It did extract everything without errors - so I never would have known: but I suppose using it with AnyDVD covers most of the bases.

I already had the "MDS" option checked in DVD Decrypter, but haven't created a DL ISO file yet. I'll be very interested to see if these ideas work. Thanks a lot funnel71 and ntscuser for taking the time and providing the ideas. I will post back with the results as soon as I test them.

Any other ideas are also welcome.

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You don not need to buy AnyDVD or alcohol. DVD Decrypter is not obsolete even though it is no longer updated. The only issues are with Sony Arcos encryption. I find it works 95% of the time without problems. Use it in ISO mode with MDS as previously mentioned. Then burn with ImgBurn (FREE) as this is still updated by the original author of Decrypter.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ya, after reading the forums more and doing some other reading on DVD Decrypter, I see what happened with the author of DVD Decrypter. So it isn't as "interesting" as I mentioned before. I will continue to use it since I havent had any problems with it yet. I am now creating the .mds files as resommended, but even without doing that, I am changing the booktype in DVD Decrypter to DVD Rom instead of burning as DVD+R DL (ISO files). I never thought this might have been the problem since 3 of the 4 players I played the discs on were newer and I thought it was mostly older players that had the problem with these formats. SO far this had worked 100% of the time. So, for me, with the files I already had on my computer via DVD decrypter when I had the problem, I:

converted to .iso with DVD Shrink for a DVD9
    burned with DVD Decrypter changing the book type from DVD+R DL to DVD-ROM

The next dvds I back up I will create the .mds file and go from there.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my help request. I learned some stuff and really appreciate it. I'm going to try ImgBurn and if I need it in the future, AnyDVD for the Sony discs.

Thanks again people!
    Quote Quote