VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I shot video of a stage show yeaterday and the theatre offered me a clean audio feed. I have a Sony MD Net Walkman model MZ-N710 which the sound engineer reckoned was perfect for the job. He connected it and recorded straight from the sound desk. All good so far.

I shall explain now that this Minidisc recorder was supplied to me by my employers for a completely different purpose and this is the first time I've tried to use it in this way. I've checked and the audio is recorded and can be heard on headphines using the headphones jack. I connected the USB port to my pc and Windows detected it and asked for a driver. I gave it the CD and it loaded the driver and all appeared OK. I expected the thing to appear as an external drive just like an MP3 player but it didn't. So I installed the Sony SonicStage software.

Following the help file, it tells me to perform a Check In. Drag the picture of the MD player onto the picture of a hard drive and all appears to be OK. Select all files on the MD player and it looks as though it is doing the job. At the end it pops up a box that says Details, Detected Errors while transferring, Check In failed.

How the hell do I get the audio (currently in ATRAC format) off this Minidsic and onto my hard drive? Preferably with something that doesn't insist I create a bloody Playlist! All I want is audio files in a format I can use in my video editting software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    He's a liar and a murderer, and I say that with all due respect.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I had another read of the manual for the minidisc player and eventually found a little paragraph tucked away at the bottom of a page telling me that it can't be done. It appears to be Sony's attempt at preventing copyright breaches. It seems that if I copy a CD from pc to minidisc I can copy it back the other way but only to the same pc. If I record, either by analogue or optical digital onto minidisc, I can't digitally transfer it to pc only by playing it with the headphones output plugged into my line in. Obviously Sony don't give a toss about levels ond output impedences.....

I'm glad I never paid money for the thing, it had the makings of being a useful tool, but not with this limitation. I suppose if I could find one without this limitation or with a proper line out socket, it might be worth getting one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you think you might be doing more stereo location recording, you might consider investing in a portable recorder that uses flash media. They have more i/o and file format options. There are no moving parts. The available recording time is only limited by the size of flash card you use. Since the price of flash media is dropping, it isn't a limitation anymore.

M Audio, Marantz, Edirol and others make a wide range of units. My friend has a Marantz PMD670, and we use it often to record band practice. Once the file format and inputs are selected, we just hit record. It's just a simple matter of drag and drop to get the wave files into the computer.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've thought the same thing. I usually shoot productions at one particular theatre and have taken the clean feed from the desk and put it into a VCR along with video from one of the cams. This job was at a different theatre with a different layout. I've now transferred the audio from the MD recorder using the headphones out socket and, as the article suggests, the level was very low (peaking at -18dB). A bit or boosting and noise reduction in CoolEdit has got it into a usable state.

I'll keep my eyes open to see if I can find something suitable, but the Marantz does sound ideal. As my Fuji S2Pro digital still camera uses Compact Flash, I've already got a couple of 1Gig cards and a microdrive anyway.
    Quote Quote