VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    The Official Specs on the Phillips DVP642 says, "Plays... MPEG-4 and DivX 3.11/4.x/5.x." I've read elsewhere that files encoded with Divx 6x look like Divx 5x to anything that tries to decode it -- to the point that both GSpot and Avicodec both say (mistakenly?) that a Divx 6x file is really a Divx 5x file. I've also read that others have successfully played Divx 6x files on the Phillips DVP642.

So why is it then, that I can't get Divx 6x files to play on my 642?

I copied un-encypted VOBs from a commercial dvd to my hard drive, then cut and re-encoded using Womble Multimedia MPEG Video Wizard using the Divx 6.1 codec ("home theater profile") for video and MP3 for audio. I did not change the Divx defaults in any way, so I believe that there is nothing "non-standard" about this file. FWIW, Gspot and Avicodec both like the file and both report it as being Divx 5 encoded. So why doesn't it play in my player? The firmware on my three 642s is not the latest, but I tend to think that firmware is irrelevant since it was supposed to have Divx 5x support from day one.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Divx 6 files are marked with DX50 as the codec and decoding them is fully compatible with Divx 5.

There are many Divx features that are not supported by the DVP642. Make sure you aren't using QPEL, GMC, too high a bitrate (>~2500) or too large a frame size (720x480/576 is the max).

When you burn DVDs make sure they are single session and finalized.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Make sure you aren't using QPEL, GMC, too high a bitrate (>~2500) or too large a frame size (720x480/576 is the max).
    Gspot 2.52 (beta01) reports that file is not qpel or gmc, but has BVOP and NVOP. File is 640 x 480, bitrate is 2367.

Is BVOP and NVOP the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use a different converter try CloneDVDMobile i have a dvp642 myself and clone works plus i can copy a whole movie in under 30 minutes
    To my friend, my mate, my love, my queen - the honour is to serve
    Quote Quote  
  5. When you say it doesn't play, what exactly do you mean? Do you get a menu when you insert the DVD? When you select the file and press play does it give an error? Does it play but the video is all messed up? Could the audio codec be the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    When you say it doesn't play, what exactly do you mean? Do you get a menu when you insert the DVD? When you select the file and press play does it give an error? Does it play but the video is all messed up? Could the audio codec be the problem?
    I insert the disc in the player and a menu appears, just like the menu for the dozens of AVI files that I have successfully played in the past. However, for this Divx 6 file, when I try to play the file, the screen goes black except for the "reading index..." message that appears for a second or two, then the previous menu re-appears. There is no error message, per se. The file never plays, even garbled. The audio of the original disc (from which I copied the VOBs) was AC3. The audio of the new file is MP3, but I don't know whether it is constant or variable bitrate audio.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Trident5
    Use a different converter try CloneDVDMobile i have a dvp642 myself and clone works plus i can copy a whole movie in under 30 minutes
    I have used AnyDVD and CloneDVD, but not CloneDVDMobile. I didn't realize that the latter was an appropriate tool to rip a DVD to a format appropriate for display on a TV (as oppposed to an iPod, Sony PlayStation Portable or other handheld). I find that AnyDVD + DVDClone can tackle a 2 hour film in about 30 minutes. Are you saying that DVDCloneMobile can convert a 2 hour film to an AVI format that you can burn to a disc that a Phillips DVP642 can play in just 30 minutes too? I would have expected that DVDCloneMobile would require a lot of transcoding, which would slow it down considerably compared to merely copying and burning. That's not the case?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure about the bit rate, so not going to say it's ok, or not ok. Highest bitrate I've ever used with my Philips is 1500 with 5.1AC3.

Something that tipped me off is that it just states indexing then returns to the menu. AVI files have an index file that includes things like time stamps and other usefull information that a player needs. Try to re-index the file. DivFix is one that I've used.

About CloneDVD and CloneDVDMobile. CloneDVD is a requantitizer, while CloneDVDMobile is an encoder. Do a forum seach, or look in the glossary for these terms if you need to. CloneDVDMobile can be expected to be a fast or slow as any other app that encodes to a different format. AutoGK is a great program to convert your DVDs to Xvid for playback on the Philips, plus it's free.
    Quote Quote  
  9. autogk is good, also staxrip and fairuse wizard (use celtic druid's build if you dont wanna live with the 700mb limitation)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was at a WALMART last weekend and I noticed that they had the new Philips DVP 5140/37 which claims to support DivX 6.x

I guess the unit is so new that it is not yet listed on the WALMART website. The price was very low as I recall (it was approximately $56).

The Official Philips DVP 5140/37 website link ---> CLICK HERE

It sounds as though it supports ALL of the DivX 6.x features? ... I'm not sure but it sounds that way.

BTW I looked on-line and Circuit City has the "big brother" to the DVP 5140/37 ... the DVP 5960/37 which appears to have all the features of the 5140 (including DivX 6.x support) but includes an HDMI output with "up conversion" to 720p/1080i all for $79.99

Would be nice if the DVP 5960 supports MPEG-4 "up conversion" but somehow I doubt that.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  11. Having owned two different model Phillips DVD players now, can't say I'm too optmistic that they can get it right, finally, but then...you never know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/faqlist?ctn=DVP5140/37&dct=FAQ&slg=AEN&scy=US#

Question
    Certain DivX files do not play or are skipped.

NOTE: The player does not support GMC and Q-pel. It only supports DivX 4.x and DivX 5.x files recorded in 'Home theater' mode.
    Says the same thing for the 5960

Then there's this

Question
    Does the player support DivX 6?

Originally Posted by Answer

All Philips DivX players are DivX Home Theater Profile certified and will play the contents generated by all versions of DivX (including DivX 6).

Most new features offered by DivX 6, like the DivX Media Format with

* XSUB™ subtitles

* Chapter points

* Alternate audio tracks

* The .divx file extension

are already supported by our current players. There is no need to upgrade the software of your player in order to enjoy these features.
    Canned, non updated FAQ page? Or is true, no Divx play back improvement?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by disturbed1
    Canned, non updated FAQ page?
    Ding.

The box of the DVP-5140 (and the player itself) have the official 'DivX Ultra' certification logo splashed all over it. The box and manual also specificially mention DivX 6.x.

I'm pretty sure it's the first DivX Ultra player to actually physically appear on store shelves in the US; I started seeing the 5140 (and the 5960) in local stores about two weeks ago.

(Yeah, I picked a 5140 up over the weekend)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried giving the divx files an avi extension?

Also, try this with your vob files. Convert them over to an mp4 file with Nero Recode, then convert the mp4 file to an avi file with Mp4Cam2Avi.

The Nero Recode takes an hour max (using 2 passes!), and the Mp4Cam2Avi takes about 7 minutes. Best damn looking avi files I've ever seen, bar none

Viewed on a Phillips DVP642, and a Lite-On LVW1107.
    "I'm sick of paying for dinner and being served cowshit, while they give the bums eating out of the garbage my meal."
    --- D. P. Smith
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ntngod
    Originally Posted by disturbed1
    Ding.

The box of the DVP-5140 (and the player itself) have the official 'DivX Ultra' certification logo splashed all over it. The box and manual also specificially mention DivX 6.x.

I'm pretty sure it's the first DivX Ultra player to actually physically appear on store shelves in the US; I started seeing the 5140 (and the 5960) in local stores about two weeks ago.

Interesting ... I read your link and read the comparrison between the DVP 642 and the DVP 5140

I must say I have some interest in the 5960 and at the price it seems to be a "steal" so I might just have to "cough" up the dough for it ... once I get caught up on some bills. With any luck I'll have the extra money to spend by July ... maybe make it my "big" July 4th day purchase LOL

Anyways keep us updated about the 5140 ... maybe even make a thread dedicated to it with a link to your comparrison along with additional comments (once you have tested it some more).

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ntngod
    Originally Posted by disturbed1
    Ding.

http://www.divx.com/company/partner/ultra.php

That should help you out with what "Divx Ultra" is.

And this

Why are Quarter pel and Global Motion Compensation (GMC) not supported?

Support for Quarter Pel and GMC at the chip level is extremely processor-intensive, and DivX, Inc. does not believe that the relatively small number of DivX users who take advantage of these features justifies inclusion of the feature in the certification program requirements. This decision is based on our desire to bring the highest-quality DivX® Certified consumer electronics products to market as quickly as possible at the lowest possible price point.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Anyways keep us updated about the 5140 ... maybe even make a thread dedicated to it with a link to your comparrison along with additional comments (once you have tested it some more).

Yeah, I probably should start a new thread for the DVP-5140/5960 since we're sort of hijacking this person's DVP-642 thread
    Quote Quote  
  18. Support for Quarter Pel and GMC at the chip level is extremely processor-intensive, and DivX, Inc. does not believe that the relatively small number of DivX users who take advantage of these features justifies inclusion of the feature in the certification program requirements.
    Translation: the manufacturers didn't want to spend a few extra dollars for the new generation divx decoder chips. And with the typical 15x multiplier $5 more in manufacturing cost would be $75 more at retail.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by disturbed1
    That should help you out with what "Divx Ultra" is.
    Oh, I know what 'DivX Ultra' is - the DMF stuff with menus and subs, etc. with a .DIVX file extension - I just never bothered to use it, since I didn't have a hardware player to use it on.

In regards to QPEL, the Mediatek chips have been able to play files using it for quite some time; the DVP-5140 is no different. I've played some QPEL-encoded files already on the DVP-5140, while the DVP-642 (using the ESS chip) refused to touch those same files with a ten-foot pole...

In any event, as I mentioned above, I'll start a new 5140 thread so we're not cluttering up this DVP-642 thread.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've had AVIs that do what you speak of in my 642 and I've found that if I just direct stream copy the video and audio into a new AVI file that it plays just fine. Not sure what causes the problem but putting it into a new container seems to solve it for me.
    Since your just using direct stream copy and not re-encoding the file, it only takes a minute to remake the AVI.
    You can burn the file to a rewritable disc to make sure it plays before wasting a good disc on it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My final word in this thread ...

I realize this thead is about making the DVP 642 do "something" but that unit can be so problematic with DivX and especially XviD files that I thought it was worth mentioning that Philips has a new and fairly inexpensive DVD player out there with a much needed updated chipset for handling DivX and XviD playback. On top of that it still has the features that people looked for it the DVP 642 such as the ability to be easily made REGION FREE and the ability to do PAL to NTSC conversion from a PAL DVD.

Considering the low price of approximately $56 US Dollars (for the DVP 5140) it seems like a decent low price to pay for an "upgrade" which results in better DivX and XviD playback.

P.S.
    As for the DVP 642 ... I found that using autoGK is the best way of making an XviD that will play on the DVP 642. One trick that I found is that you want to use the "hidden options" to force the ESS stand alone option ... also you want to make sure that B-frames DO NOT get turned off which is something that autoGK does automatically based on the compressibility test and the results of the first pass. It seems that if the compressibility is at somewhere around 95% or higher (or if the compressibility is lower than that but returns at 95% or higher after the first pass) then autoGK turns off B-frames. Turning off B-frames causes N-VOP frames which cause loss of sync. The short answer is to re-do it but lower the size (of the file) and try to reach a point where you still get a high compressibility number but one that is under 95% so that B-frames do NOT get turned off. Most movies require more than 1 CD size (or 700MB) but many movies at 2 CD size (1400MB) result in B-frames being turned off so you have to find that point between 700MB and 1400MB where you get close to but less than 95% so that B-frames do NOT get turned off. Anyways if B-frames do get turned off it says so in the LOG which runs in the autoGK window (as it is working) or can be read from a TXT file after the fact.

I think the newest version of autoGK works with DivX 6.x but in my experinece XviD always looks better and autoGK is the tool you need to get XviD to work and work well on the DVP-642
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There must be some bad frames right at the beginning of this file that the player doesn't like. I too have had a couple of files that looked ok but the player just won't play. I have one on my pc right now that I cut in two using vdubmod to stay under the 2 gig single file limit. Part one plays fine but part 2 does exactly what you describe. I've done this many times before with oversized tv captures and the exact same specs and have had no problems but this one is a puzzle. I tried to just rewrite the file using directstreamcopy but it didn't help so I plan to rencode part2 with the same specs.

FulciLives wrote
    I must say I have some interest in the 5960 and at the price it seems to be a "steal" so I might just have to "cough" up the dough for it ...
    I checked the specs on the 5960 and (5900 advertised at BEst Buy). The 5900 is not listed as DIVX6 Ultra certified. The 5960 manual says it is and can handle Qpel and GMC.

However under the FAQ for the model under the question does it support divx6 the answer is that all their divx players support simple profile blah blah blah... they don't answer the question.

A few questions down it asks... Why won't some divx play and the answer is ...

Here in the faq it says it does not support Qpel etc... strange???

Sure needs an answer before purchase or it's not the big brother of the 5140
    Quote Quote