VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I have at least 3 or 4 concerts recorded off broadcast tv years ago. They were broadcast in stereo, and recorded to B1s (Beta) HifFi. They would be quite difficult to find today, and if available at all would probably be among your more expensive DVDs. They run up to as much as an hour each, with no commercials. My intention was to transfer them to DVD at some point. While I do not have any sort of home theater setup at this time, or separate speakers in lieu of the tv, I have heard this material over a good pair of headphones, and I think the audio quality of the music is quite good. So, I'd like to maximize the quality obtained in the transfer to DVD. What is the best you can hope for in this situation, and are there any things that can be done to get the best results ? Like maybe using better than standard audio cables ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The easiest option (you don't mention the recording method) - would be a standalone DVD recorder. With my standalone DVD recorder, the 1 hour setting is the highest quality level you can set. With that setting, you'll get 8Kbps video and also 48Khz PCM (uncompressed) sound. I'd use the highest setting you can get, and only fit up to 1 hour on each disc. I use a Pioneer DVR-320, but I think all of the standalone DVD recorders will have similar settings. You might want to use decent cables, just don't fall for the Monster scam.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by akrako1
    The easiest option (you don't mention the recording method) - would be a standalone DVD recorder. With my standalone DVD recorder, the 1 hour setting is the highest quality level you can set. With that setting, you'll get 8Kbps video and also 48Khz PCM (uncompressed) sound. I'd use the highest setting you can get, and only fit up to 1 hour on each disc. I use a Pioneer DVR-320, but I think all of the standalone DVD recorders will have similar settings. You might want to use decent cables, just don't fall for the Monster scam.
    Thanks. I would be using my Pioneer 520H. The Fine (or "MN32") speed is what I assumed I'd be using, but I was unaware of what Audio recording options might be available. So I will check in the menus and the manual.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I believe PCM sound is only available in the Fine mode (MN32) but you can check your manual. The following chart has been posted here before (for a dvr-531 - for nearly all Pioneer dvdr's)

It shows PCM there at the bottom of the list (equivalent to the MN32 setting), but nowhere else. I've used MN32 and it does give PCM sound.
    Quote Quote