VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i already have a conexant based tv tuner card that i had purchased some time earlier and using it with microsoft win xp, i plan to upgrade to media centre edition some time next month and would like to know whether i can continue using the same harware i have or do i need to install new hardware, and do i need a new remote with this software.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You will probably not be able to use your present hardware. You will need a MCE certified video card, remote control and a decoder. All of these appear specific to MCE. Take at look at the MS site for some information. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/using/default.mspx

If you are building a MCE computer, then Hauppauge is one supplier of capture cards: http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/faq/support_faq_mce.html

Another is ATI:
    http://www.ati.com/products/faqs/windowsxpmcefaq.html

MS would like you to buy the MCE setup preconfigured with a new computer, so you have to look around a little to assemble the needed parts if you want to build your own. If you really want a MCE setup, there should be enough info above to get you started. If you don't, then either the Hauppauge 250 or the ATI cards (Non-MCE) are another way to go.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You use one from the certified list. Ask your system builder.

If the system builder is you, you are responsible to answer your questions. (per Microsoft Policy).

Upgrading to MCE is still not an approved Microsoft supported path. You are expected to buy a new system and get support from the system builder. Understand that you will get no support from Microsoft.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My brother ordered a Hauppauge PVR-150 MCE card by mistake and I struggled to get it working with XP home.
    After a little reading, I decided that was about impossible, and I didn't want anything to do with MCE, at least a home built version. Apparently you also need to purchase a MPEG-2 decoder and none of the software, or the card, or the remote, seemed to work with XP Home. Two options, put in XP MCE or exchange the card. He exchanged the card and is happy with the regular PVR-150.

I've got enough MS in my computer as is. No MCE for me.
    Quote Quote  
  5. usefull links
    Chances are your existing capture card won't work with MCE. You may get it to work with other software residing on the xp mce OS, but not within the MCE interface. MCE is basically xp-sp2. If your going to buy a new card and your not concerned with HD, the happauge 500mce is your best bet. The 'remote controll' is a seperate issue and should be addressed seperately. If RF is not necessary, than the easiest thing to do is get the certified mce remote (approx. 35$)
    Quote Quote