VideoHelp Forum

Poll: PS3, Wii, or 360?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yoda,

Confirmed. The 360 controller has the rumble feature. Its useless as far as I'm concerned, on any platform, but it is there. Well, OK, maybe its a fun novelty feature.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, PS3 does have patent issues with the rumble/dual shock controller. The company that won the patent lawsuit against Sony on it (the name slips my mind right now) has offered Sony the use of Dual Shock, but at a price. Sony has declined, so far.

But beyond the patent issues, Sony has also said that a controller featuring dual shock would be too heavy to comfortably use the Wii-inspired motion sensing. It'd wear your arms out after awhile.

The real blunder, however, has been how Sony didn't bother to tell a lot of game developers that the PS3 wouldn't have dual shock and would have motion sensing until just recently, far into the development of the early PS3 games. Add that onto the fact that many developers are saying that the XBox 360 is easier to code/develop for and you have to wonder if Sony will be able to keep up its reputation for titles that it has had in the past.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jayl
    you have to wonder if Sony will be able to keep up its reputation for titles that it has had in the past.
    Blah. Crappy games on a crappy system. I'll go back to playing Uniracers on my SNES.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BUMP!

Ok so all three are now available. What is your thoughts on them now?

I bought myself a WII on the day after Thanksgiving and I have been truly impressed by it. The remote and nunchuck are truly innovative. And I like the classic game download options.

What about 360 users? You've had the longest time with your console and what are your opinions? Any gripes about not being able to play EVERY single Xbox 1 game on it? Or have they finally worked out compatiblility for all of the old titles??

What about PS3 users? How many out there managed to get one? How is BLURAY for HDTV users?

Opinions???
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    im going with xbox360 for now the ps3 is too expensive 600$ damn i buy one later in '07
    Quote Quote  
  6. I haven't bought one cause they are first gen consoles. If I did, I would buy from Costco so I can return & get a working one. Might be impossible with a ps3, if they don't have them in stock.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hell man I just bought a PS2 earlier this year.

I am interested in both the Xbox 360 and a PS3 but the price has to come down big time for me. Also I wouldn't be surprised if in a year or so Microsoft releases a redisigned Xbox 360 that has the HD-DVD dirve all in one unit.

As for Nintendo they can shove the Wii up their ass. What the hell were they thinking with that controller. I'm a fat ass couch potato and that controller just seems like way too much work for me. I don't play video games to get a physical work-out.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I kinda think Wii is sexy! At last some kind of revolution in the console arena (since Atari 2600) instead of evolution. Brave move, that unfortunately will fail horribly.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why isn't "PC" an option?
    Someone must have mentioned that.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Why isn't "PC" an option?
    Someone must have mentioned that.
    This poll was strictly about the next gen consoles.

Originally Posted by fulcilives
    As for Nintendo they can shove the Wii up their ass. What the hell were they thinking with that controller. I'm a fat ass couch potato and that controller just seems like way too much work for me.
    Don't knock it till you tried it.

You can sit down while you play it. You just have to have space to move your arms around. Chairs with armrests would get in the way.

But the innovation is really impressive. Take RED STEEL for instance. Sure the graphics may not be up to the 360 or PS3 but the controls are excellent. Just point the remote at the screen and fire away. You shoot right were you point at. Plus there are sound effects that come out of the wii remote. Its kinda like your actually holding the gun or sword. You even here it click when its out of ammo.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    bump.

Though it might be interesting to revist this.

I know have a hdtv and I bought a used xbox 360 for it. I still have my Nintendo Wii. Wow what a difference between the two! Now if I was still using a standard def tv the difference might not be so dramatic. But on high def tv the difference is amazing.

The clarity on the 360 is amazing. Plus the native 16:9 support is fantastic. I have both my 360 and Wii plugged into a component video switcher so they are on even ground that way. Its a 32" 720p. The Wii just looks a bit washed out compared to the 360.

I don't have a ps3 so i can't comment on that personally. Right now the only way I'd probably buy one is to get access to a bluray player. However that is off in the distance right now.

So now that all three have been out for awhile now what are your thoughts on realworld comparisons?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since this poll was started and I posted in it, I have bought an X-BOX (original), a Wii, and a PS3.
    The X-BOX and PS3 (and GameCube!) are connected to my HDTV (1080i CRT) via component.
    Totally underwhelmed by the X-BOX.....
    The PS3 is amazing! Resistance: Fall of Man looks freaky good. I also have Need For Speed whatever that came out for PS3 -- it doesn't look any better than the NFS I have for the X-BOX...
    My Wii is connected to a SDTV via S-Video. Looks good to me!

My sister has a 360 connnected to her HDTV (1080p CRT) via component and I am not at all impressed with what I have seen. Guitar Hero, Gears of War, and some Sonic mess...
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by motors4fun
    I intend to buy the PS3. I have to say it is a bit expensive but for the money i get a new high def player, a powerfull gaming console and its multimedia capabilities. If you look at the prices for any of the new high def players, they are all over 600 dollars. So i think i am getting a great deal. On a side note, like the guy said above, people are spending that for just one video card for the pc. Any game made for PS3 will always play on the PS3 and never need to upgrade to make it compatible or run at the best settings.
    Sony is releasing a new PS3 version with 40Gb hard-drive this Holiday season for $399. This is still not cheap but may attract some customers who need a Bluray player (plus a game console). Sony still has to compete with Toshiba on HD-DVD player (the new HD-A2 for $197)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ollie6431
    a new PS3 version with 40Gb hard-drive this Holiday season for $399.
    ...that lacks the ability to play PS2 games...
    Bad move, IMO.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm afraid to buy a PS3 until the Blu-Ray spec is set in stone.

The XboX 360 seems kewl but I've noticed that most of the exclusive titles are either now out on the PS3 or are due to come out on the PS3 and since the PS3 seems to have a bit more "ummph" to it I have a feeling that the PS3 version of <insert game title here> will always be better.

I have no desire to play HALO 3 (I've been there since ID did Wolfenstein and I'm all 3D person shooted out by now) so the only XboX 360 exclusive that will remain that way (as I understand it) that I want to play is BLUE DRAGON and even then only because the FF VII guy is behind it.

Strange because at one time I thought the XboX 360 had so many more games but Sony is definitely catching up and it seems all the new "big" games ... like SILENT HILL 5, FALLOUT 3, ASSASIN'S CREED, RESIDENT EVIL 5 and more ... will be coming out on both systems. This leaves all the good exclusives with Sony like the next FINAL FANTASY or UNCHARTED: DRAKE'S FORTUNE or that interesting looking GOD OF WAR like game HEAVENLY SWORD etc.

I know BIOSHOCK is supposedly all kewl and whatnot but I've heard it will come out on the PS3 so other than HALO 3 and that other 3D shooter everyone seems to talk about (GEARS OF WAR I think it is) I see no reason to get an XboX 360 now over a PS3.

Other than I want full Blu-Ray compatibility for future movie playback etc.

I can't believe Blu-Ray is out and still not "finalized".

Truth be told though I'm still happily playing PS2 games ... I just finished GRANDIA II which I think originally came out in 2001 or 2002 and I've yet to get that last PS2 FINAL FANTASY game (although now it's only $19.99 so I guess my waiting "paid off").

Maybe I'll just wait for the slim-line redesigned fully Blu-Ray spec PS3 that will be out in ... what? ... 2009 or 2010? If I wait that long all the games I wanna play will be $19.99 by then LOL

P.S.
    Still waiting to play GOD OF WAR 2 ... me wants the PS2 "red label" $19.99 version 8)
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Blue Dragon had intrigued me as well, until I read a review of it yesterday....
    All 3 reviewers had been eagerly waiting for this game to come out, and all 3 were very disappointed with it.
    Apparently it's incredibly repetetive and boring.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Xylob the Destroyer
    Blue Dragon had intrigued me as well, until I read a review of it yesterday....
    All 3 reviewers had been eagerly waiting for this game to come out, and all 3 were very disappointed with it.
    Apparently it's incredibly repetetive and boring.
    That's a shame to hear.

I read a bit about it and saw some screen shots but that was before it was released ... haven't read any reviews yet. Although as one of my all time favorite movie director's once said, "Ignore the critics ... they are a joke and a masturbation". That was of course uttered by the great Lucio Fulci 8)

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I got a Wii back in February and have loved it! It has reestablished my love for video games.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I got a modded Wii this week because I couldn't find a regular Wii. But even those that I could, like on Ebay cost almost as much as the modded ones.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    bump.

... Its a 32" 720p. The Wii just looks a bit washed out compared to the 360. ...
    Yoda,

We've got a Sharp Aquos 46" 1080p. With the 360 elite hooked up via HDMI. Nice subtle differences between the component and HDMI. Noticed a nice smoothness on the bright whites where there was some smearing with the component. Maybe it was the cable, don't know, made a difference.

Our Wii is connected via component but it doesn't look washed out at all. Do you have Wii set to widescreen an progressive scan? If not, that's probably where the washed out colors are. I played Metroid 3: Corruption when you said this and I notice the washed out look in non-progressive right away. Even things like Wii Sports bowling looks much better.

When you have a Gamecube game in, make sure you hold down B (maybe A, I forget) to enable progressive scan on compliant games as well. More games than you'd think...

Remember, you have a natively progressive scan TV now. Though scalars on TVs are usually pretty good its generally better to let the console do it.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Wii is also native 16:9. Just that its only 480p while the 360 is 1080i (or maybe p don't know if that's been updated).

Funny how this poll is almost the exact opposite of what is really happening. PS3 is the worst selling and is behind the Wii, 360, PS2, Nintendo DS and PSP in weekly sales.

Got me a Wii. Right now am hooked on playing Guitar Hero III online.
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by neomaine
    bump.

... Its a 32" 720p. The Wii just looks a bit washed out compared to the 360. ...
    Yoda,

We've got a Sharp Aquos 46" 1080p. With the 360 elite hooked up via HDMI. Nice subtle differences between the component and HDMI. Noticed a nice smoothness on the bright whites where there was some smearing with the component. Maybe it was the cable, don't know, made a difference.

Our Wii is connected via component but it doesn't look washed out at all. Do you have Wii set to widescreen an progressive scan? If not, that's probably where the washed out colors are. I played Metroid 3: Corruption when you said this and I notice the washed out look in non-progressive right away. Even things like Wii Sports bowling looks much better.

When you have a Gamecube game in, make sure you hold down B (maybe A, I forget) to enable progressive scan on compliant games as well. More games than you'd think...

Remember, you have a natively progressive scan TV now. Though scalars on TVs are usually pretty good its generally better to let the console do it.
    I am connected through component. Where is progressive option in the wii system menu??? I have it set to widescreen. Is it automatically progressive?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's a separate setting for either 480i or 480p in the video settings.
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
  24. I have the 360 with HDMI. Previously used Component to connect to a 32" HD CRT, now using a HDMI to DVI connector. TV has no HDMI.

Dramatically clearer picture using HDMI to DVI, compared to Component. Sharper, richer colors, additional details visible which were not before. Additional items such as sniperscope viewscreen showing a live picture.

Also had Playstation 2 connected to same TV using Component. Looked better than when using an older 27", but no comparison to the Xbox.

My 10-year old was impressed, BTW he loves Sonic. Also Halo 2.

I also got the extra exhaust fan, I am impressed by the heat produced by this thing. A bit noisy, but not noticeable when playing games. Dust filters next project.

The Xbox is also fairly easily modified to play backups.

For hi-def disk play, the add-on HD-DVD player has the advantage of being connectable to the PC, plus it's a second piece. Yes, more money but you don't have to spend it all at once. With the free movies added, this will probably be my next purchase.

Blu-Ray versus HD-DVD is to me a crapshoot at this point. One thing that I find interesting is that I am seeing Blu-Ray movies being advertised as specifically able or created to play on the PS3. Indicating these are somehow different from other Blu-Ray disks, which will Not play on the PS3? Blu-Ray may have more titles available, but what good is that if they don't work?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="yoda313"]
    Originally Posted by neomaine
    bump.

I am connected through component. Where is progressive option in the wii system menu??? I have it set to widescreen. Is it automatically progressive?
    So, how's it look in progressive??
    Have a good one,

neomaine

Quote Quote