VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TrendSetters....I am trying to convert an Mpeg2 file, through Virtual Dub, and out as an AVI.
    The source definately does have an Audio content, but Virtual Dub cannot see it. I have tried different versions of Virtual Dub, including Virtual Dub Mod and Virtual Dub Mpeg2 but none of
    them will produce the Audio track. My Audio settings in Virtual Dub are "source audio" and "Direct Stream Copy"
    If I put the Mpeg2 file through VideoReDo Plus, and save it out as a Vob, for example, the Audio plays OK. I've run out of ideas !!! All help greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In virtualdubmod, go streams -> Stream List and see what is listed. It may be that you do not have the correct codec installed to allow Vdub to process it.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Gunslinger

Under Available Streams it says
    1 Source: Input MPEG file
    Desc: MPEG audio stream (AC3)
    Length: 00 04 10

So does this mean a missing codec ?

Today I copied the whole Virtual Dub directory onto a CD
    and loaded it onto a mate's laptop. It ran perfectly, with audio,
    .....so something is definately missing on my computer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes , you`re missing the AC3 codec -

https://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=AC3_ACM_Decompressor
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Guys

Gunslinger put me on the right track when he said check the Streams.
    AC3 !! So I demuxed the mpg file, and converted the audio from AC3 to WAV to MP2
    and then Virtual Dub played the audio OK.

But I will also download the AC3 codec as advised by Sartori, It will probably mean
    less mucking around with the source.

Thanks for the quick replies. It's great to know we have a forum where we can give help
    when it's needed, and take advice when we need it
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep....works fine now. I haven't used Virtual Dub for a long time as most of my vid capture is done straight to a Panasonic DVD recorder, then loaded onto the computer as an Mpeg2 file, where I use VideoReDo Plus to take out the station breaks, etc.
    But I've gone back to Virtual Dub to try out the NeatVideo filter, and am very impressed with the results. So if anyone wants feedback on NeatVideo, I'll be glad to help.
    Quote Quote