VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If they are not there, something must have gone wrong in the DVD Lab process. I looked at the .srt-file that you are using, and it looked a bit fishy to me when I open it in Notepad, no clean line breaks etc. Open it in Subtitle Workshop and choose save as..., and scroll down until you can double-click "SubRip". This should fix it. Try authoring in DVDLab again.
    I've tried but it doesn't work.
    Best food is not cooked with love or feelings, but cooked with Monosodium glutamate.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you have followed all steps mentioned and still cannot see any subtitles I think we can safely assume that they are not there. Since you followed Gunslingers method and it still did not work I would try something else for this movie:

Convert the .srt-file to .sup using SubtitleCreator
    Author using MuxMan or IFOEdit
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by träskmannen
    If you have followed all steps mentioned and still cannot see any subtitles I think we can safely assume that they are not there. Since you followed Gunslingers method and it still did not work I would try something else for this movie:
    How is it that the subtitles are not there? This is so strange.
    Best food is not cooked with love or feelings, but cooked with Monosodium glutamate.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can you sum up the different steps you have tried to verify that no subs are present and the results from the different programs you tried?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used PowerDVD to open the IFO file and verified that there is a check next to "Display Subtitles" and I used VLC Media Player to play it. I used Media Player Classic to play but still no subtitles so far.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    OK, you're that kind of person... just taking half the advice and then wondering why it doesn't work...

If you still cannot see any subtitles, try opening the VOB-files in SubRip and choose "Only Show SubPictures". This will tell you if the subtitles really are there and that the text is correct. If that is the case, try using DVDSubEdit to change colour and position of the subs until you are satisfied.
    Try DVDSubEdit directly. Use it to open one of the VOB-files. Pay good attention to the message box appearing when loading the file, it counts the amount of subpics read. If it keeps saying "-- 0 subpics --" until the file is done and the message box disappears, then there really are no subpics.

The program will now show the first subtitle (if there are any) and a still from the film at the time this sub should appear. If you cannot see it, nudge the slider for "Subpic vertical position" a little. If the subpic was outside the visible area, this will move it to the bottom of the screen.

The four squares marked b,p,e1 and e2 at the right side tell the colours. If they all are black and you have a black stripe below the film, change the colours by clicking the squares.

Apply the changes to all subpics and save.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is really strange. I can see the subtitles clearly in DVDSubEdit but I can't see any subtitles in Power DVD or VLC.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And you did try to turn them ON within the player?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did turn them on within Power DVD and VLC but they won't show up. I can see them fine in DVDSubEdit though.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm glad you haven't given up yet! This must be possible to solve.

My guess is that the subs are located outside the visible area. Open the VOBs in DVDSubEdit again and adjust the height, either by drag/dropping the text to the right place or by using the slider for vertical adjustment. Go to Edit - Apply last modifications to all - make sure that the checkbox for "Apply changes to subpic vertical pos." is checked and click DO IT!. Then choose File - Save all modifications. This will update the VOB-files.

I would exaggerate a bit and put the text in the middle of the picture just to make sure that it is visible. It will of course look a bit ridiculous but if this was the problem they will definitely be visible in PowerDVD now. In that case it is easy to correct the height, just use this method again. It is quite fast as well so you will get almost instant feedback on your tests.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Offtopic: I was busy due to exams. Now back on subtitling. Thanks for your support.

Weird as it may seem, I finally see some texts.
    In DVDSubEdit, I saw the subtitles above the bottom part of the show. As suggested, I moved the subtitles towards the middle.

In Power DVD I did see the subtitles after being editted by DVDSubEdit. However, I can only see part of the subtitles. The subtitles I saw are only the upper corner left part and the font size is extremely big. The subtitles appear bottom right.
    Quote Quote  
  12. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What font size did you use? I personally prefer 20, I see that they advice to go for 24 in the manual that NormaJ provided the link to.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used the default settings.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Can you post the resolution of the video? I suspect it is 352x240/288
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is 352x240.
    Quote Quote  
  16. That is. Unfortunately I have the same experience - no software player would show the subtitles correctly. Somehow they resize the 352x240 and overlay the subs in 720x480 window - so they are hidden. But my standalone player resize them correctly and they are visible. So write to a RW disc and try in the standalone.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So after it is burned, it is visible? Can DVDSubEdit resize?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by SirKetashy
    So after it is burned, it is visible?
    On your TV, yes.
    Originally Posted by SirKetashy
    Can DVDSubEdit resize?
    What you mean?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I meant can DVDSubEdit resize the subtitles?
    Quote Quote  
  20. When it displays the subs, yes - you can see them, right? If you try to fit the subs in the 352x240 image, then they would be wrong on your TV.
    Quote Quote  
  21. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No, DVDSubEdit can not resize as far as I know. I don't know any quick and easy way to fix this, but it is of course possible to solve.

I can think of a couple of different possibilities:

You can do it again and make sure the output from DVDLab is 720 x 480 this time.

You can accept it the way it is, not being able to use the subs with a software player but possibly with your standalone (I haven't tried this so I don't know if it works but I assume it does or Abond wouldn't have said so).

You can add a second subtitle from the same .srt, but this time using a very small font (10 should do it). That way you will have one subtitle that works on the standalone (the one you have now) and one that works with your software player (the one with small font). This requires a bit of trial-and-error with DVDSubEdit to position the new sub where you want it.

You can go for hardsubs.

After that I'm out of ideas...
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it true that the bigger the resolution, the less we can store in a DVD?

Anyway Traskmannen, I'll try the second method.
    Quote Quote