VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I have a plasma display that is not a TV (no tuner) and I was wandering if there are any DVD recorders that would record the closed-captions as well.
    My display doesn't know how to render the closed-captions.
    I ask this because I've noticed that my old CRT knows to render the CC and actually does that over the colored closed captions that are selectable from the DVD menus (english, french, etc.).
    So my assumption is that the CC are sent out of the player as a stream as well as images (when selected).
    What I'm interested in is those CC images (containing text).
    Would any DVD Recorders capture the CC stream as those kind of (selectable) images?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. All recorders will record the captions as far as I know, they are normally decoded and displayed on the TV though. The Toshiba D-R4 has an option for captions on the recorder or TV, so I'd guess the recorder is capable of displaying them. I haven't tried on the recorder since all my TVs have CC capability.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You might want to be aware that some stabilizing devices like TBCs may filter them out, if you have one and CC seems to be missing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Are you sure the TV doesn't do CC? I don't know about Canada, but all TVs sold in the U.S. since 1993 are supposed to have CC capability.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Thanks for your responses.
    I have no ideea what TBC is. Maybe if I knew I would be able to find something in the menus to disable this "feature".

samijubal, this is not a TV. It's a monitor. If you plug your computer monitor in a satellite receiver would you get CC in US?!? 8)

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    TBC= Time Base Corrector. It cures 'jitter' from VHS tapes and cleans up the signal. Usually blocks Macrovision signals and often CC signals. Built into some VHS decks, but most commonly a separate unit. I don't think a TBC applies in your case, I mentioned it as can wipe out CC signals.

I don't know if CC signals are recorded to DVDs from off-the-air signals, or if a DVD recorder can read them and pass them through to a monitor. A good question, though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    JVC DR-M10S and JVC DR-M100S both record CC.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by samijubal
    Are you sure the TV doesn't do CC? I don't know about Canada, but all TVs sold in the U.S. since 1993 are supposed to have CC capability.
    Actually, it's "all COLOR TV's (with Monitor + Broadcast receiver) over 13" manufactured after 1993".

So, that excludes B/W tvs, small screen TV's (like portables, ipods ), Monitors (computer or video), TV's manufactured before '93 but still sitting on the shelves (hopefully not too many of those!).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Closed captions are recorded on anything I've ever seen, VCRs and DVD recorders. If the monitor doesn't have the ability to display them, then get a recorder that will. Like I stated earlier, the D-R4 has an option to do CC on the TV or recorder. What you are taliking about on retail discs is subtitles, not CC, DVD recorders won't record subtitles, they are only on retail discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quite a few DVD recorders do NOT capture closed captions.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Subtitles and CC are 2 different things. We need to be clear on which we're talking about here. No recorders do subtitles.
    Quote Quote