VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by heavythinker
    Great tutorial! Worked like a charm. I have a question though. If I have an original PAL DVD that has a menu and chapters and I want to burn the NTSC DVD with the menu and chapters also, is it just a matter of following the same process for the .vob files for the menu video file using all the same software programs and converting to NTSC format, then import into Adobe Encore and relink the chapters and import both video files (menu and chapter mp2 files) to tie it all together? Am I making sense? In a nutshell, trying to figure out how to also convert the menu and chapter interface to the finished burned NTSC DVD in the easiest way possible. Thanks! nicole
    I've never fooled around with trying to keep the menu ... it always seemed too difficult to me so I dropped even trying to do it a long time ago.

Sorry but I can't offer any help here ... i fact I don't even know how to go about "extracting" the menu little alone converting it.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a quick question before i go an make a coaster. ok i followed all the instructions to the letter. and i was reading the etire thread and notcied this thing about delay. When i look at the ac3 files dgindex made. The icon it self says delay 160 ms. Should i leave the ac3 files alone? or should i make the delay zero? i havent changed them in any way yet. The audio and video should sync shouldnt it with the delay? I mean thats why dgindex put the delay there right?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dranas
    I have a quick question before i go an make a coaster. ok i followed all the instructions to the letter. and i was reading the etire thread and notcied this thing about delay. When i look at the ac3 files dgindex made. The icon it self says delay 160 ms. Should i leave the ac3 files alone? or should i make the delay zero? i havent changed them in any way yet. The audio and video should sync shouldnt it with the delay? I mean thats why dgindex put the delay there right?
    I would keep the original AC-3 but also create a new AC-3 with a 0ms delay using AC3 Delay Corrector ... then do a quick author and burn of both versions to a DVD-RW or DVD+RW and see which sounds more in-sync to you.

Lately I've been finding that most of the PAL DVD discs I have converted have a 0ms delay to begin with but in the past when there has been a delay I have used AC3 Delay Corrector to "fix" it to a 0ms delay.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok now im gonna sound stupid. On delay cut. to cut i would go to where it says cutting and checkin cut file set start ms at zero then set end ms to 160, if i wanna remove the 160 ms delay right? i looked around but didnt see anyting about delay cut on how to use it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well, he said AC3 Delay Corrector, and not Delay Cut. I understand Delay Cut's good, but I haven't used it yet myself, and can't comment. However, you don't want to CUT anything, because you have a positive delay. You want to ADD silence equal to the amount of the delay, in order to bring the delay back to 0.

Using AC3 Delay Corrector, fill in the Start Delay with 160, and check the Add Silence box.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    Well, he said AC3 Delay Corrector, and not Delay Cut. I understand Delay Cut's good, but I haven't used it yet myself, and can't comment. However, you don't want to CUT anything, because you have a positive delay. You want to ADD silence equal to the amount of the delay, in order to bring the delay back to 0.

Using AC3 Delay Corrector, fill in the Start Delay with 160, and check the Add Silence box.
    AC3 Delay Corrector is now called Delay Cut but out of habit I still call it AC3 Delay Corrector so forgive me for confusing anyone ... I know that either way you type it that the AUTO LINK function of VIDEOHELP.COM will link to the correct file in the TOOLS section.

I think this is how you do it with Delay Cut:

Please note that you can still get AC3 Delay Corrector. Here is the link ---> CLICK HERE

I have to admit that although I have Delay Cut downloaded I still use AC3 Delay Corrector ... again out of habit

Quote Quote  
  7. Delay Cut grew out of AC3 Delay Corrector? And Daniel Ache (developer of AC3 Delay Corrector) is the same person as jsoto (developer of Delay Cut, as well as VobBlanker, PGCDemux, and others)?

Wonder why he changed the name. Maybe because it does more than just fix delays now, and works on more than just AC3. Learn something new every day. Thanks for the information, FulciLives.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok ill try that and ill let you know how it goes. Hopefully itll sync and i can sleep at night. if not.....ill cry my self to sleep
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright i used the un touched ac3 and it worked. only one more problem i notcied. the picture is kinda jerky. i think i should be albe to use the expert setting on the TMPEGenc to tell it its not interlaced. I hope this works. if it does ill let you know
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hello,

Your instructions to convert PAL DVD to NTSC DVD is excellent. I was able to convert the video file to PAL from NTSC as you instructed. Now I have video file and audio file. Can you please give me instructions as how to created DVD using this video and audio file.

Appreciate your help.
    Quote Quote  
  11. You have to author with some program in order to mux together the video, audio, chapters (if any) and subs (if any). I use Muxman. Free, simple, and good. IFOEdit can do it, as can DVDAuthorGUI (both free). DVDAuthorGUI can create menus for you, if you wish. Or use payware, if you have any, such as TDA or DVDLab (Pro).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use TMPGEnc DVD Author or DVD-Lab Pro although I only use DVD-Lab pro when I need something I can't have in TMPGEnc DVD Auohter such as using multiple audio tracks or DTS audio.

Quote Quote  
  13. Hey,

Firstly, thanks for a brilliant guide, not once was I sat there thinking "??what??" like usual guides which tend to skim over a particularly difficult or hard to explain part.

Anyway - I have a slight problem - I've followed the guide [i think I followed it pretty exactly], made myself a pretty menu in dvd lab pro, with two audio tracks [main and commentary], created myself a dvd folder and then in the end it turns out [playing the files in windvd and mplayerc] the audio and video are out of sync...which sucks a bit as it's taken me 2 days solid to do this, to show a dvd to some friends in the states, and I'm going home to the UK in a couple of days. Could you suggest anything I could do to fix this, or maybe suggest one part in the guide where I may have gone wrong which would cause this? the options menu in windvd shows that it is the right resolution and framerate.

Cheers
    Adam

EDIT: I also tried tmpgenc sacrificing my nice menu to be replaced with a crappy wizard made menu, and sacrificing two audio tracks for just the main one, and it did the same thing
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have a DVD-RW or DVD+RW or don't mind wasting a regular DVD-R / DVD+R blank then I would burn it and see how it plays from that using both the computer AND a stand alone DVD player.

It may not really be out-of-sync.

If it really is out-of-sync then ...

Look at the audio files ... do you see a delay value at all or is the delay value 0 as in ZERO. Remember when DGIndex demuxes the audio it puts the delay value into the name of the audio file(s).

You might want to try the old AC3Delay Corrector or the newer DELAY programs as these can adjust for delay values be it positive or negative.

Try to note for instance if the audio is too fast (ahead of the video) or too slow (behind what is happening in the video).

Usually if the sync is bad (and you did everything correctly as per my guide) then all you need to do is adjust for the delay value. This could be "hit or miss" sometimes in that the delay you need to use may not be exactly the same given in the audio file name as per DGIndex ... but keep trying different values until it seems in sync. Hopefully the sync is off from start to end by the same amount (meaning if the audio lags by 1 second at the start of the film it still lags by only 1 second near the end). If true (using my example) you adjust the delay value by 1 second then that shifts the audio in whole by 1 second and it will be in sync throughout the movie.

If however you note that the audio sync is off progressivly ... meaning it's a 1 second lag at the start of the movie but by the end of the movie it's more like 20 seconds of lag ... then you did something wrong video wise while doing the conversion.

Quote Quote  
  15. Wow, thanks for the in depth reply - the delay in the file name is zero, and the out-of-sync-ness gets progressively worse :-\ the audio happens before the actions in the video. Could there be somewhere in the guide where this is likely to happen? Just trying to see if there's a way I wouldn't need to do this again from the very start...

cheers again!
    Adam
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by adzy31
    Wow, thanks for the in depth reply - the delay in the file name is zero, and the out-of-sync-ness gets progressively worse :-\ the audio happens before the actions in the video. Could there be somewhere in the guide where this is likely to happen? Just trying to see if there's a way I wouldn't need to do this again from the very start...

cheers again!
    Adam
    Since the delay was 0 (ZERO) and since you said the sync gets worse and worse as the movie plays on then you did something wrong with the video conversion.

Sounds like you encoded the video incorrectly thus changing the length.

In fact load the video you created into VirtualDubMod and check the running time. Is this the same as the original PAL DVD or is the running time longer (by approximately 4%)?

For instance if the original is 100 minutes and you made a mistake then the new video will be 104 minutes and 16 seconds, give or take. Thus the audio will not sync and get worse and worse as time goes on.

Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great Tutorial!!!
    In my first try I had sync problems. Then, I started again with DVD decrypter in IFO mode (as FulciLives recommended) and the problem disappeared. Good Job!
    Now I am trying to add subtitles, but in dvd lab pro I cannot import the subt file with extension .sup .....
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  18. Hi-

Now I am trying to add subtitles, but in dvd lab pro I cannot import the subt file with extension .sup .....

At the risk of stating the obvious, you either import subtitles in a format it does accept (which may mean OCRing the subs to SRT or some other text based sub format), or you use an authoring app which accepts subs in SUP format (such as Muxman or IFOEdit).
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks manono.
    Do you know any program in order to convert diferent subtitles formats?.
    Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  20. Yes, I know lots of them. But I don't use DVDLab Pro, so I'm just guessing that it takes SRT subs. If so, then one way to perform the OCR is with SubRip :

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=267416

Or, if you're lucky, maybe you can find them online already in SRT format.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks manono for your help.!!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey I have a Problem here with TMPGEnc. When I go to the second screen of it where you are suppose to schose the Video File, I load the d2v file and I get a message that says "Can't open, or unsupported" I have tried to do this 4 times already and I get stuck there. any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Platinum911911
    ..I get a message that says "Can't open, or unsupported" ...
    Raise the directshow priority, read here.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did what was on there but still didn't fix anything. The only thing that I didn't do was the Codecs thing because I have no idea what codecs I need. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Fulci, I was able to succesfully convert the Aussie film Razorback to NTSC using your technique.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Using DVD Maestro for authoring, the video file at the end of this process was detected as PAL, even though it was 720X480 and 29.97 fps. I started over and changed the video format in the 2nd to last step to NTSC and it worked. Maestro was satisfied that this was NTSC video.

Thanks for posting this. I've never been able to do this successfully before, despite trying several guides a few years ago.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by flumpf
    Using DVD Maestro for authoring, the video file at the end of this process was detected as PAL, even though it was 720X480 and 29.97 fps. I started over and changed the video format in the 2nd to last step to NTSC and it worked. Maestro was satisfied that this was NTSC video.

Thanks for posting this. I've never been able to do this successfully before, despite trying several guides a few years ago.
    That's interesting.

After you encoded it but before you ran it through DGPulldown ... are you sure it was 720x480 at 25fps?

I've used Maestro before although only a few times as I find it a pain-in-the-ass (mostly due to the way you have to create menu designs with it, i.e., pretty much on your own) but I've never used Maestro with a PAL to NTSC conversion that was done this way.

I bet instead of re-encoding it you could have changed some flag headers ... using something like IFOEdit.

Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    excellent guide thank you.
    just one question. how do i keep my files the same bitrate? i want basically the same quality as i put in. thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Platinum911911
    Hey I have a Problem here with TMPGEnc. When I go to the second screen of it where you are suppose to schose the Video File, I load the d2v file and I get a message that says "Can't open, or unsupported" I have tried to do this 4 times already and I get stuck there. any ideas?
    I am having the same problem. I have already done the priority thing and it still won't open the d2v file. I also installed the K-Lite Codec pack just in case and that didn't help. Any other ideas?

I am using the newest version of DGindex 1.4.8
    One last thing i tried was using an older version 1.4.6 The one that you used in your help pic. But that didn't work either
    Quote Quote  
  30. Hi-

just one question. how do i keep my files the same bitrate? i want basically the same quality as i put in. thanks in advance.

Of course, you won't get the same quality as you put in, as MPEG-2 encoding is a lossy process. If by keeping the same bitrate you mean the same size as the original, use a bitrate calculator to figure it out.
    Quote Quote