VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    has anyone got some recommendations, to some top programs that do this..

any help/advice would be appreciated
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might have to explain with a little more detail just what you are trying to do.

If you mean recording and mixing vocal arrangements for accapella groups, pretty much any audio program can do it. They range from free software like audacity or wavepad, through to expensive software such as sound forge and audition, or even multi-track recording and mixing software.

With a better idea of what you are trying to achieve we can give better recommendations.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i want to make a computer accapella

make an accapella out of a song that isnt one, a normal song,with instrumental behind it, ya know?!

how could that be done, i was thinking of a program that can generate one for me
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Still can't work out what you are trying to do

Are you trying to remove the vocals form a track, or have a program create the musc for you if you give it the vocals
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry s1inger, yeah that is what i want to do...first thing mentioned, i want to remove/strip the vocals off a track (and keep them)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As in "remove everything but the voice". Can't be done, unless it's a very special recording (like voice from one channel, instuments from the other, or very high pitch voice over deep bass instruments).

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are a couple of plugins for stripping vocal out of a track, although how well they work is dependent on the track itself. Most of them work by inverting the phase of one channel, and overlaying it on the other. Anything in common will be cancelled out. Therefore, if only the vocals are recorded equally in both the left and right channels, only the vocals will be stripped. However, if percussion is also recorded this way, or the bass, they will go as well.

AnalogX has a pretty good one that work like this.

Aside from the caveats above, any audio that has been compressed with mp3 compression is a poor candidate for this work. mp3 compression screws stereo seperation, and you end up with a warbly echo remaining. Always use the CD source if possible. Also, you can't use a mono source.

So how does this help you ?

First, make a copy of the track. Strip the vocals from this copy.

Now, create a new, empty stereo track. In the right channel put the right channel from the original. In th eleft, put the right channel from the stripped version. Invert the left channel and overlay/merge/combine (term will vary with software) it with the irght channel. What you should hopefully get is the vocal remaining. Copy this into both channels and you are done.

The vocals will be mono/joint stereo if this process works. Why ? Because you can only sucessfully strip them out int he first place if they are recorded evenly in the stereo music mix.

It is a fair bit of work, and the results will vary from track to track. Some will work well, some will not work at all. But I cannot think of any other way to pull just the vocals from a recording.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the instrumental and original are the same it can be done, In a program like Adobe Audition you have to invert the original and line it up with the instrumental exactly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's why you have to be able to create the instrumetal version yourself by stripping out the vocals first
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the break down guns1inger, i appreciate..

okay first thing first im going to be doing that in AnalaogX correct?? or is that just the name of the procedure

would it happen to be any one of these utilitys http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio.htm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried it. It makes the vocals VERY faint, but it also takes out most of the drum beats and bass sounds. I know that's the way it works, so it's not a complaint, but just beware of it.

And it does NOT work by itself. It's a DirectX sound plug-in. You'll need something like Nero WaveTrax to use it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i d/l and its installed but didnt know that, it cant be used alone -- i dont have nero wavetrax is there anything simple i could use ?

also i got the directx one not sure that is right
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try Audacity, it *should* use DirectX plug-ins.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it only takes out the bass and perscussion is they are recorded down the centre of the mix. I have had some tracks where this has worked very nicely because the original recording was well seperated. I have had others where all that was left was the backing vocals and some rhythm guitar.

It is the original mix that dictates how successful this will be
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    I have had some tracks where this has worked very nicely because the original recording was well seperated. I have had others where all that was left was the backing vocals and some rhythm guitar.

It is the original mix that dictates how successful this will be
    Maybe my other post would help in this thread?

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1513163#1513163
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All well and good at a theoretical level, but where is the software ?

It is an interesting read, and may have potential down the track, however if there is no way to practically apply this work, how does it help us now ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All well and good at a theoretical level, but where is the software ?
    http://www.elec.qmul.ac.uk/icarn/software.html

how does it help us now ?
    I only supplied some info that might help the original poster, or
    somebody else who is interested.

It would be up to them to do some furthur research to see if the info helps!
    That's how I always solve my problems. I Google until I find the answer.
    (or until I give up)
    Quote Quote