VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to convert a 5.1 wav file or 6 mono wav files to one 5.1 Ac3 file without buying an encoder. I've tried at length to use BeSweet and Ac3 Machine without success. Is there a way to do this, and if so, can anyone guide me? I've already searched this forum without finding the answer I need.

Thank you.
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well the way I do it using Besweet, you use the .mux extension. Go to your folder where the mono wavs are and open up notepad and type the path for each wav file.

Example

d:\audio-FL.wav
    d:\audio-C.wav
    d:\audio-FR.wav
    d:\audio-SL.wav
    d:\audio-SR.wav
    d:\audio-LFE.wav

Then save it adding the ".mux" extension. Open up this file in BesweetGUI. Go into the AC3/OGG/PCM section. Click on AC3 encoding options - set your bitrate and tick the "create 5.1 AC3" box. Set any other additional option you want to do, and when you're ready click on the "MUX to AC3" button.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which version of BeSweetGUI are you using?
    How do I open the Notepad file in BeSweet, do I treat the notepad file like an audio input file?

I want to import the final 5.1 Ac3 file into Adobe Encore along with an AVI file so I can create a DVD. The audio consists of the soundtrack for the video. Will this 5.1 Ac3 file be suitable for that purpose, or will it only be burnable onto a CD?

I can't thank you enough for your help. I'm excited to think I may actually be able to accomplish this.
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use v0.74. Yes you treat the notepad file like an audio file. When you click on input in BesweetGUI, on the top right where it says enter file name change the extension to ".mux" by scrolling through the options. That way when you navigate to your .mux file it will show up.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wturner
    I want to import the final 5.1 Ac3 file into Adobe Encore along with an AVI file so I can create a DVD. The audio consists of the soundtrack for the video. Will this 5.1 Ac3 file be suitable for that purpose, or will it only be burnable onto a CD?
    It's an ac3 DVD compliant file so I don't see why any authoring app would reject it. I use DVD-lab to author and it's had no problems importing the ac3 files I had used when converting with besweet.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fantastic. Thanks for the help.

I want to import the final 5.1 Ac3 file into Adobe Encore along with an AVI file so I can create a DVD. The audio consists of the soundtrack for the video. Will the 5.1 Ac3 file that BeSweet produces be suitable for that purpose, or will it only be burnable onto a CD?

Also, does the order or naming of the mono files matter so that BeSweet knows which one will be the center audio, LFE audio, surround audio, etc.?
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes, adobe encore will accept it. Just drop it on the timeline along with your avi.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't believe I'm actually going to be able to get 5.1 on my DVDs! I can't wait to try this at home.

Do I determine the audio bitrate in BeSweet or Encore so that the video and audio will fit on the disk?

And I still need to know, does the order or naming of the mono files matter so that BeSweet knows which one will be the center audio, LFE audio, surround audio, etc.?
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  9. you determine that in BeSweet. Encore will not change the ac3 file so if the audio+video=>dvd it will just tell you it won't fit.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wturner
    Also, does the order or naming of the mono files matter so that BeSweet knows which one will be the center audio, LFE audio, surround audio, etc.?
    The naming doesn't matter as far as I know. But I'm not sure about the order. I just use the order I stated above with success. You can test it out if the order matters. If you look at a surround sound configuration from the top, I go from left to right. Starting with

Front Left - Center - Front Right

Surround Left - Surround Right

LFE
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My thanks to everyone. For the last year I've been lamenting my inability to accomplish this. I should have asked here earlier.
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    no problem. let us know how it works out
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It didn't work. Everything looks fine in BeSweet until I click "Mux to Ac3." The black dos screen flashes quickly then closes. A 0mb file is created. See my BeSweet screenshot.

Note: BeSweet wouldn't recognize the Notepad file until I gave it a .mux extension. I assume that is expected.

besweet%20screenshot.jpg

Here's the output log:

Error 59: Failed to sync to payload's start position : "C:\Documents and Settings\wturner\Desktop\Personal\5.1 test\audio from ppro.mux"BeSweet v1.4 by DSPguru.
    --------------------------
    Using hip.dll v1.13 by Myers Carpenter <myers@users.sf.net>
    Using AC3enc.dll v0.2 by Gerard Lantau & Dg (http://ffmpeg.org).

Logging start : 05/01/06 , 13:39:48.

c:\Personal\DVD Software\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe -core( -input C:\Documents and Settings\wturner\Desktop\Personal\5.1 test\audio from ppro.mux -output C:\Documents and Settings\wturner\Desktop\Personal\5.1 test\Final Ac3.ac3 -logfilea C:\Personal\DVD Software\BeSweet\BeSweet.log ) -ac3enc( -b 448 -6ch -intel )

[00:00:00:000] +------- BeSweet -----
    [00:00:00:000] | Input : C:\Documents and Settings\wturner\Desktop\Personal\5.1 test\audio from ppro.mux
    [00:00:00:000] | Output: C:\Documents and Settings\wturner\Desktop\Personal\5.1 test\Final Ac3.ac3
    [00:00:00:000] | Floating-Point Process: No
    [00:00:00:000] | Source Sample-Rate: 48.0KHz
    [00:00:00:000] +------- AC3ENC ------
    [00:00:00:000] | Bitrate method : CBR
    [00:00:00:000] | AC3 bitrate : 448
    [00:00:00:000] | Channels Mode : 2.0
    [00:00:00:000] | Error Protection: Yes
    [00:00:00:000] +---------------------
    Error 32: No input-data was found (wrong substream?)
    Quiting...
    [00:00:00:000] Conversion Completed !
    Logging ends : 05/01/06 , 13:39:48.
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check the sizes of the mono wavs. They should all be the same size. Also are they true mono? Run them through an audio editor and see that only one channel is used for each wav.

Looking at your log and comparing it to your screenshot of besweet. The bitrates differ as your screenshot shows 384kbps and your log shows 448kbps. Also you do have the "create 5.1 ac3" box ticked on your screenshot, but your log only shows 2 channel encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried a variety of bitrates. The screenshot doesn't match only because I took the screenshot at a different time that I copied the log.

The files are all mono and they are all the same size.

Here's a better log that corresponds to the screenshot below.

Error 59: Failed to sync to payload's start position : "C:\audio ready for besweet\audio from ppro.mux"BeSweet v1.4 by DSPguru.
    Using hip.dll v1.13 by Myers Carpenter <myers@users.sf.net>
    Using AC3enc.dll v0.2 by Gerard Lantau & Dg (http://ffmpeg.org).

Logging start : 05/01/06 , 14:01:13.

c:\Personal\DVD Software\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe -core( -input C:\audio ready for besweet\audio from ppro.mux -output C:\audio ready for besweet\final.ac3 -logfilea C:\Personal\DVD Software\BeSweet\BeSweet.log ) -ac3enc( -b 448 -6ch -intel )

[00:00:00:000] | Input : C:\audio ready for besweet\audio from ppro.mux
    [00:00:00:000] | Output: C:\audio ready for besweet\final.ac3
    [00:00:00:000] | AC3 bitrate : 448
    [00:00:00:000] | Channels Mode : 2.0
    Error 32: No input-data was found (wrong substream?)
    Quiting...
    [00:00:00:000] Conversion Completed !
    Logging ends : 05/01/06 , 14:01:13.

I notice that "Channels Mode" is 2.0 on the log, but I don't know how to change that in BeSweet. I do have "Create 5.1 checked." See new screenshot

besweet%20screenshot.jpg
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    how about your .mux script. Can you post a screenshot? Edit if needed
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's the text from the .mux file, and I've included a screenshot of the folder:

C:\audio ready for besweet\Center.wav
    C:\audio ready for besweet\Fl.wav
    C:\audio ready for besweet\FR.wav
    C:\audio ready for besweet\LFE.wav
    C:\audio ready for besweet\Sl.wav
    C:\audio ready for besweet\Sr.wav

mux%20screenshot.jpg
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You know what I noticed in your log. You're using an older version of besweet, which has an older ac3enc.dll. But before upgrading to the latest version, try the script out like this

C:\audio ready for besweet\Fl.wav
    C:\audio ready for besweet\Center.wav
    C:\audio ready for besweet\FR.wav
    C:\audio ready for besweet\Sl.wav
    C:\audio ready for besweet\Sr.wav
    C:\audio ready for besweet\LFE.wav

This is the order I always use when encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. That didn't work either.

I thought this was the latest version: 0.7b5.
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using 1.4 of BeSweet and BeSweetGUIv0.7b5.

There is a later beta version of BeSweet, but I had some quality problems with it. I could try it to just see if it helped.
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's the GUI. The actual besweet commandline version I use is 1.5b31. here is a sample output log when I encode to ac3:

BeSweet v1.5b31 by DSPguru.
    Using AC3enc.dll v1.20 (Feb 18 2004) by Fabrice Bellard (http://ffmpeg.org).

Logging start : 05/01/06 , 17:19:44.

C:\My Programs\BeSweet\Directory\BeSweet.exe -core( -input d:\Mono Wavs\apbc-audio.mux -output e:\Conversions\Movies\apbc-audio.ac3 -logfilea C:\My Programs\BeSweet\GUI\BeSweet.log ) -ac3enc( -b 384 -6ch )

[00:00:00:000] | Input : d:\apbc-audio.mux
    [00:00:00:000] | Output: e:\Conversions\Movies\apbc-audio.ac3
    [00:00:00:000] | AC3 bitrate : 384
    [00:00:00:000] | Channels Mode : 5.1
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just tried it with 1.5b31, but it still didn't work. Can you send me a screenshot of your BeSweetGUI screens?
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  23. quick question, it looks like your using Premier Pro... you can output 5.1 ac3 directly from it (if you havn't used up your 3 trial's of the minnetonka yet)
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wait! It worked!!!

I thought I was using 1.5b31, but I wasn't. I had to re-link the later version inside BeSweetGUI.

Now, I just hope I don't have the same quality issues that I had previously.

Thank you, Pinstripes!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Will

P.S. I have used my three trials. Don't get me started on Adobe's DD bait and switch!
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oh man I was just about to post the screenshots. But anyway I'm glad it worked out for you. I was running out of ideas on how to help you out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I followed the instructions, and I have a 5.1 AC3 that I tested out by playing in Media Player Classic. That worked fine.

The problem I'm having is, is that when I put it into Adobe Encore DVD (2.0) It's opening it and putting it in my list of assets, but its giving me this fatal error popup and telling me of some abnormal condition, saying that I will only have one chance to save the file (don't use the same filename). And It starts to conform the file, put it only gets into it a little bit before stopping completely, and I'm not able to use the file.

Does anyone know what's going on there?

Sorry to be replying to such an old thread, but this is the only forum whose instructions have actually been correct and given me any real results.

Thanks in advance!

~ Adhish
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try running it through ac3fix first
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I can say that Encore should handle it fine, though the only 5.1 Ive ever handed it has been output from either PPro or Audition. I'd give the ac3fix route a try.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just tried AC3Fix. It's telling me that the input file is ok and the output file is ok: "In ok, Out ok."

I suppose that means that the input file doesn't have any bad frames and that AC3Fix won't process it to create a new, fixed, AC3, correct? And Encore is as stubborn as ever. Any other suggestions?

By the way, the exact error message that Encore is giving me is: "Sorry, an internal media engine error has been detected. Please save your project (do not use the same name as the original) and restart." So I press OK.

And then I'll try to exit without saving it under a different filename, and it'll ask me if I want to save. I say no, and then another popup says: "Sorry, an abnormal condition has been detected. Please save your project (do not use the same name as the original) and restart."

Just thought I'd be a bit more clear on that.

Thanks!

~ Adhish
    Quote Quote  
  30. what is the source of your audio file? 6 mono files put through BeSweet? I don't believe ive ever used besweet for that, but I do rememmber a while back reading something along the lines of besweet not producing 5.1 ac3 according to spec.
    Quote Quote