VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Do you own a GPS unit?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If it "burned you out" that was your own fault, so to speak. When my cell rings and I don't want to talk I don't answer. I don't need to get rid of it to keep it from "burning me out".

As for not "needing" one, none of us really "need" our Internet connections either. We all made it to 1994 without it thank you very much. Yet here we are debating the use of cell phones from different continents.

I'm a subcontractor. I can't begin to tell you how much work I lost out on before cell phones came along. I'd get a page and by the time I got to a phone the jobs had been given to someone else.

And as far as those "big brother" worries, those speed cams in Europe and the move to monitor Internet use here in the US scare me far more than someone trying to track my cell phone. If you're so bored you want to follow me around all day you have my condolences.

Just don't send me to prison for some scarcastic remark I made on a web forum that was mis-interpreted as a terrorist threat.
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by leebo
    If it "burned you out" that was your own fault, so to speak. When my cell rings and I don't want to talk I don't answer. I don't need to get rid of it to keep it from "burning me out".
    Perhaps, but they were company assigned and were to be carried and on at all times. Disciplinary action was taken for not answering. It's true that I don't need to do that any more, even if I have my own cell, but they became symbols of servitude that I can get along just as well without. I do recognize that if I were in a different type of business it could be a necessity, but it clearly is not for me and my business, and it's quite easy to 'live' without one, even though I work for myself.

Back on topic, I don't see the need to have a GPS because when I have to go someplace I'm not familiar with, I do some research and plan my route. I also have an excellent sense of direction and know how to read a map. My wife, on the other hand, can get lost turning around. A GPS might be a good idea for her, but she seldom goes to uncharted territory without me.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is my understanding that modern cell phones have a system in place that can act like a GPS but it is a different technology and you can be tracked as long as the phone is powered up. A tech-head was telling me about it and he said not to worry unless you are a big time criminal or get kidnapped and are lucky enough to keep your phone and authorities are smart enough to know what to do.

As for me owning a GPS, yes and no. I bought a cheap USB unit for my laptop that came with map software for North America. It turns out that it actually works pretty good for what it is. I am not here to pimp a product, but I will tell you about the one that I have.

Earthmate GPS LT 20. $79 or $89 I don't rember, but under $100. It is a little yellow USB receiver that looks like a mini PC mouse that you throw up on you dashboard for a veiw of the sky. The rest of the setup is an install and a map CD and of course your laptop.

In my humble opinion the map and address finding features alone are worth the money (Well maybe. There are probablly free programs out there if you looked and MapQuest, Google and the others work if you have the internet at your fingers)

The GPS part of it will show your location on a street map and give you your world coordinates (If you need to call in for an airstrike on yourself, I guess) It will also give your compass heading, speed and elevation (While moving only) It gives you all kinds of uesless info about the sattelites that it is in touch with (I was tracking 8 of them the other day I noticed) From what I have observed I would guess that it is well within 50' accurate as for where you are on the map. The little arrow cursor that displays on the map has shown me right at the beginning of exits as I was making the exit and it has tracked my moves in parking manuvers in small lots. (I am impressed for the price and that technology will really do this at a consumer level) The ground speed display is within two miles per hour of my speedo' and it was right on in a couple of other trucks that I tested/played with it in. (makes me wonder if my Speedo' is right).

Argh... this is becomming a pimp out. If you want to know more about this one look it up.

Now what I want is a handheld for doing Global Cacheing (SP) and topo (Not tpgo) mapping, (Oh yea, like I do alot of that now)
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why is it that the GERMAN made units have a STERN, QUICK VOICED FEMALE
    while the
    AMERICAN ONES have a SMARMY MALE ONE???
    Quote Quote  
  5. With Tom Tom, they let you download different voices, there's even John Cleese giving you directions and making funny remarks on the route.

I like the horny woman voice tough....
    1f U c4n r34d 7h1s, U r34lly n33d 2 g3t l41d!!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Personally, I learned a lot from this thread.
    It deserves at least a big "thanks" to,
    mats.hogberg, Baldrick, & Richard_G for their time and infornation shared.
    I come here to learn and threads like this accomplish much in that effort.
    Thanks again for all your help.
    Regards,
    NiteLite
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dcsos
    Why is it that the GERMAN made units have a STERN, QUICK VOICED FEMALE
    while the
    AMERICAN ONES have a SMARMY MALE ONE???
    My factory made Volkswagen RNS300 Sat/Nav in my 2006 VW that I picked up at the Autostadt in Wolfsburg, Germany has a female(with a U.K. English accent) voice when switched to English.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Magellan Meridian Gold.

For those asking "Why do you need one besides work?", in addition to all those who've already replied (fishing, camping, hiking etc.) - I got mine for a number of reasons after moving to Oz:

1) I fly, and the terrain can be quite featureless. It's a backup in case the aircraft either doesn't have GPS (common) or it fails.

2) I ride a motorbike and like to go on fairly long rides (leave early a.m., back home around dusk). I often have no set destination, just "go adventuring" and get lost on purpose. The GPS tells me where I've ended up and so I can work out how to get home.

3) For safety reasons - if I'm out on the road (car or bike) and I break down or come across an accident, it may come in handy - especially in the more remote parts of Oz and me being new to the area.
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
  9. As to GPS units - yes, a Garmin Streetpilot i3.

I was sick of driving the family to locations (holidays and visits and the like) and struggling with routes, getting frayed tempers, stress, and finding that the printed routes I got never matched the road signs I was seeing.

So I bought a budget GPS with the intention that it should make such journeys and navigation a whole deal more easy on both me as the driver, and passengers who just want to get there, or know EXACTLY how long it will take.

It's not a perfect unit, and has it's flaws, but does have the advantage of being able to be loaded with all the locations of "safety" (including mobile locations!) cameras, and warning you when you are anywhere near, and perhaps have slightly drifted above the speed limit.

As to cell / mobile phones, well I can't imagine not having one now. But it's for MY convenience, not others. If I'm busy, or don't want to take the call, I don't - same for my home landline - I have voicemail / answer machine, so I don't worry. My work cell / mobile phone is only switched on, when I'm on-call, so that doesn't rule my life, either.

All these technologies are meant to, and can make your life easier. They only need to be stress-inducing, if you let them, and let them rule you.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have Tom Tom Navigator installed into my PPC.
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety. (Benjamin Franklin).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are there any people who actually use their mobile phones as a GPS navigation unit?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I voted "No".

I'm from the "old school". Whenever I need to travel I
    use one of those folded up paper things called a map!

So far that method hasn't failed, except when I got on to a freeway
    off-ramp by mistake!

I know someone with a boat and he uses the GPS all the time.
    He said it's VERY accurate.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mr. Dweezel
    I voted "No".

I'm from the "old school". Whenever I need to travel I
    use one of those folded up paper things called a map!

So far that method hasn't failed, except when I got on to a freeway
    off-ramp by mistake!

I know someone with a boat and he uses the GPS all the time.
    He said it's VERY accurate.

Yeah, funny thing about being out on the water away from shore, especially if you have to be back in like less than, oh I don't know say a WEEK!
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    He's a scuba diver so I think it probably comes in very handy for him!

I don't know if those can be used underwater though.
    Quote Quote