VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello im just wondering if this dvd recorder records in a video based(30 to 60 Frames per second) format or in a film based(24 frames per second) format??

Or do dvd recorders have nothing to do with that and the JVC does nothing to the source video?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All DVD recorders record native broadcast format, either 29.97 interlace MPEG-2 or 25fps interlaced MPEG-2.

A few can do 16:9 too, but not many. Most are 4:3 only, or 16:9 in a 4:3 matte.

You don't have any sources that are 24fps anyway, and if you did, you'd not be using a DVD recorder to make DVD.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In my dvd player manual, it says video based software is derived from tvs and displays 30 to 60 fps. and looks bad when it gets deinterlaced.
    then it says film based software is derived from film and displays 24 fps. and is fine when it gets deinterlaced.

So if your saying these dvd's that i am recording are getting recorded at either 29 or 25 fps, then that is close to film based material right?????

Can this player do 16:9 anamorphic? and if not, can you recomend a good one?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your DVD player manual is jibberish. Probably something that was half-assed translated from an Asian language.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As far as NTSC video goes ...

A store bought DVD made from film will be 24 frames per second (actually it is 23.976fps).

However "standard NTSC" is 30 frames per second (actually it is 29.970fps).

A stand alone DVD recorder only does recordings at 29.970fps not 23.976fps.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well there are two Progressive options on my dvd player and i want to knowwhcih i should use for my dvd's that were recorded with the JVC from my tv show recordings.

It says for film based material 24fps, use progressive AUTO
    And for video based material(30 to 60 fpr), use Progressive VIDEO????
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you record a video based program from TV, then the VIDEO playback setting would be correct. If you record a film-based TV show or movie, then you can use the AUTO setting for a more film-like playback.

Most dramatic series on TV, and some sitcoms, are shot on film. Obviously feature length movies are generally shot on film. Most other TV programs (sports, news, etc.) are shot with video cameras.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can use Film settings if you are certain that the show was shot on film...you cannot record at 24fps progressive, the film-mode de-interlacing is actually a "smart" logic that knows that with film material the two interlaced fields come from the same temporal moment so it combines them together and show them simultaneously but only on a progressive scan-capable display...it's something like reverse engineering...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All DVD recorders record native broadcast format, either 29.97 interlace MPEG-2 or 25fps interlaced MPEG-2.
    So i take it that the 29.97 fps is the video material and the 25fps is the film material????

does the jvc revord anamorphic 16:9, and if not which is a good player that does?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mikej3131
    So i take it that the 29.97 fps is the video material and the 25fps is the film material????

does the jvc revord anamorphic 16:9, and if not which is a good player that does?
    25fps is PAL and it can be 25i (interlaced) or 25p (progressive)

NTSC is either 29.970fps (interlaced) or 23.976fps (progressive)

A NTSC DVD recorder only records at 29.970fps and a PAL DVD recorder only records at 25fps (25i)

Any DVD recorder will record 16x9 WS material but some will incorrectly flag it as 4:3 instead of 16:9 with the result being that it only looks normal on a 16x9 WS TV (and even then it may not depending on the TV). However the DVD can always be ripped to a computer and the flag can be changed from 4:3 to 16:9 and then re-burned to create a DVD that looks normal on a 16x9 WS TV as well as a 4:3 TV.

Where do you expect to get a 16x9 WS source though ... that's the trick!

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A NTSC DVD recorder only records at 29.970fps and a PAL DVD recorder only records at 25fps (25i)
    so should i use progressive video mode on my player????

Any DVD recorder will record 16x9 WS material but some will incorrectly flag it as 4:3 instead of 16:9 with the result being that it only looks normal on a 16x9 WS TV. However the DVD can always be ripped to a computer and the flag can be changed from 4:3 to 16:9 and then re-burned to create a DVD that looks normal on a 16x9 WS TV as well as a 4:3 TV.

From a motorola comcast cable box. this jvc doesnt record with component. Can it still record anamorphic 16:9 through s video????
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    so should i use progressive video mode on my player????
    I don't have a JVC DVD recorder nor a JVC DVD player. However I would just play back the DVD's you record in regular INTERLACED mode ... not PROGRESSIVE SCAN mode ... and if the DVD has a 3:2 pattern ... your HDTV should take care of it ... probably better than what the DVD player/recorder can in PROGRESSIVE SCAN mode.

Any DVD recorder will record 16x9 WS material but some will incorrectly flag it as 4:3 instead of 16:9 with the result being that it only looks normal on a 16x9 WS TV. However the DVD can always be ripped to a computer and the flag can be changed from 4:3 to 16:9 and then re-burned to create a DVD that looks normal on a 16x9 WS TV as well as a 4:3 TV.

From a motorola comcast cable box. this jvc doesnt record with component. Can it still record anamorphic 16:9 through s video????
    We have gone over this in at least two different threads across two different forum groups.

The answer is NO you cannot get 16x9 WS anamorphic out of your cable box when using S-Video or composite video ... only component video out can do 16x9 WS with the type of cable box that you have. We are all in the same boat as it is a very popular cable box used by many cable companies across the country.

Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have a JVC DVD recorder nor a JVC DVD player. However I would just play back the DVD's you record in regular INTERLACED mode ... not PROGRESSIVE SCAN mode ... and if the DVD has a 3:2 pattern ... your HDTV should take care of it ... probably better than what the DVD player/recorder can in PROGRESSIVE SCAN mode.
    My sony dvp-s75h player doesnt output 480i with hdmi . it only outputs 480p, 720p or 1080i with hdmi. Do you think my sony dvd player will be as good as my tv's scaler/deinterlacer???????

The answer is NO you cannot get 16x9 WS anamorphic out of your cable box when using S-Video or composite video ... only component video out can do 16x9 WS with the type of cable box that you have. We are all in the same boat as it is a very popular cable box used by many cable companies across the country.
    Will recording hd widescreen content through component be better PQ than recording regular SD non widescreen????
    So if i get a recorder with component recording, i can record anamorphic widescreen from my comcast dct6412???
    If so can you recomend a good dvd recorder that records widescreen component?????
    Quote Quote  
  14. You are asking questions that have been covered many, many, many times here and at avsforum.com

Use the search function and do some reading. In fact, there's a sticky at the top of the DVD Recorder section at avsforum.com that thoroughly goes over recording widescreen HD source material (downscaled to 480i through the s-video or component video outputs of cable boxes, satellite boxes, and HD receivers)

There are only a handful of DVD recorder that have component video input for recording... Sony RDR-HX715 and the RDR-HX900 are two of them
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My sony dvp-s75h player doesnt output 480i with hdmi . it only outputs 480p, 720p or 1080i with hdmi. Do you think my sony dvd player will be as good as my tv's scaler/deinterlacer???????

Will recording hd widescreen content through component be better PQ than recording regular SD non widescreen????
    So if i get a recorder with component recording, i can record anamorphic widescreen from my comcast dct6412???
    If so can you recomend a good dvd recorder that records widescreen component?????
    http://www.dvdfile.com/news/special_report/production_a_z/3_2_pulldown.htm
    First you should read this article on 480i and 480p playback (line doubling vs. progressive SD DVD players) to fully understand the playback side of the film vs. video issue. Film source can exist in 23.976 fps progressive frames or in 29.97 fps telecined interlace fields on a DVD. Your JVC player "AUTO" mode will analyze the interlace video stream for a 2:3 telecine pattern and then switch to "cinema" progressive IVTC mode. The better HDTV sets also have this capability.

Since your DVD recorder can only record interlace 480i, you are relying on the DVD player or the HDTV to detect and IVTC the telecine pattern. It takes experimentation to figure out whether IVTC should take place in the DVD player or HDTV. The solution optimizes differently for different HDTV technologies and/or whether the upscaling is done in the player or HDTV or both.

All of the above concerns 480i and 480p playback optimization. Next level of issues concerns recording downscaled HDTV -> 480i and the widescreen issue. The 6412 outputs HD as 480i letterbox over the S-Video output. Capturing WS 480i or 480p off the Y,Pb,Pr or DVI/HDMI outputs is a complex issue. I'll stop here.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Capturing WS 480i or 480p off the Y,Pb,Pr or DVI/HDMI outputs is a complex issue. I'll stop here.
    a couple of members at avsforum said all you have to do is set the dct6412 to output 1080i via component in the menyu, and set 4:3 override to off. then plug the components in and record?

So are those sony's quality recorders????what recorder gives the best PQ and records component anamorphic widescreen?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As for watching 16:9 content that doesn't carry a 16:9 switch...don't 4:3 TV sets in US have a 16:9 manual switch that you can use if the automatic switching doesn't work...almost all post-1995 4:3 TV sets in Europe have the 16:9 switch which practically limits the topa and bottom reach of the electron beam...
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i am getting a 16:9 hdtv so i want to be able to record widescreen material for that tv, not a 4:3 tv
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kalos Geros
    As for watching 16:9 content that doesn't carry a 16:9 switch...don't 4:3 TV sets in US have a 16:9 manual switch that you can use if the automatic switching doesn't work...almost all post-1995 4:3 TV sets in Europe have the 16:9 switch which practically limits the topa and bottom reach of the electron beam...
    In the USA there are some 4:3 televisions that are able to use the extra resolution of 16x9 WS sources but of course you still get a 4:3 Letterboxed image ... just that the resolution is supposedly better. This feature is often called "16x9 compression mode" on such 4:3 televisions.

However this feature is not that common. In fact it is only very recently here in the USA that 16x9 WS televisions have become perhaps more common than 4:3 televisions. This is at least true of "big screen" televisions.

However there are still many 4:3 televisions sold here in the 13" to 32" variety. I think the smallest 16x9 WS TV in the USA are 26" models but those have only become (somewhat) popular within the last year.

I am of course talking about models that are popular now at retail stores.

Most people I know still have a 4:3 TV and I only just got my first 16x9 TV this past December.

The USA was much slower to adopt 16x9 WS televisions than Europe ... or at least the UK.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i am getting a 16:9 hdtv so i want to be able to record widescreen material for that tv, not a 4:3 tv
    It is the fault of the cable/satellite companies and the boxes that they use ... not the fault of the maker's of DVD recorders.

Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by mikej3131
    a couple of members at avsforum said all you have to do is set the dct6412 to output 1080i via component in the menyu, and set 4:3 override to off. then plug the components in and record?
    Totally wrong. No DVD recorder can accept or capture a 1080i component video signal, period. Only 480i can be recorded, whether it is through s-video or component.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oops sorry i meant :

tv type : 16x9
    output : 480i
    4:3 override : it wil be grayed out

This si for the motorola
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Capturing WS 480i or 480p off the Y,Pb,Pr or DVI/HDMI outputs is a complex issue. I'll stop here.

So are those sony's quality recorders????what recorder gives the best PQ and records component anamorphic widescreen?
    Yes but you need a to convert YPbPr to S-video or find a DVD recorder that accepts YPbPr in widescreen mode. The DVD widescreen flag may have to be edited later to get the DVD player to output widescreen.

While you are recording this, you can't also use the 6412 in HD mode to watch the program.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    oops sorry i meant :

This si for the motorola
    I just tried this with my Motorola DCT 6412 III and connected the component cables direct to my HDTV set (as my DVD recorder does not have component input).

I just got standard 4:3 Widescreen (not 16x9 WS anamorphic) but the same channel was 16x9 WS anamorphic when I switched the cable box back to 1080i ... it was the HBO HD channel.

I only tired the 1080i and 480i settings.

Seems odd ...

Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes but you need a to convert YPbPr to S-video
    How would i do that?? do you mean get the 6412 to output widescreen via s-video? it doesnt do this by default?

find a DVD recorder that accepts YPbPr in widescreen mode.
    which ones do this and produce good PQ also??

I just tried this with my Motorola DCT 6412 III and connected the component cables direct to my HDTV set (as my DVD recorder does not have component input).

I just got standard 4:3 Widescreen (not 16x9 WS anamorphic) but the same channel was 16x9 WS anamorphic when I switched the cable box back to 1080i ... it was the HBO HD channel.

Seems odd ...
    did you connect the component cables from the comcast dvr or the dvd recorder??
    So your saying that the box outputs 4:3 when using component and settings the box to output 480i? and then it outputs widescreen when set to 1080i? y is that odd?
    Quote Quote  
  26. That particular cable box only outputs 4:3 letterbox for HD widescreen source material when set to 480i, whether you use the s-video or component outs.

There's no way to get around this using the 6412.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    not according to a couple people over at avsforum in a certain thread?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    oops sorry i meant :

This si for the motorola

Seems odd ...

Originally Posted by gshelley61
    That particular cable box only outputs 4:3 letterbox for HD widescreen source material when set to 480i, whether you use the s-video or component outs.

Yep, I just tried it too and can't find a 480i horizontal squished mode over YPbPr. So now we would need to deal with external 1080i to 480i WS conversion and that gets expensive. No easy solution to that one. Remember, I said it was complicated.

As for me, I mostly PVR cap the letterbox S-video with my ADVC-100 while outputting 1080i to the HDTV. The resultuing 480i DVD or computer playback is zoomed to fit the screen either in the Pioneer DVD player or using "expand 4:3" mode on my HDTV.

The local channel MPeg2_TS can be captured off the IEEE-1394 port as SD or HD (as broadcast).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gshelley61
    That particular cable box only outputs 4:3 letterbox for HD widescreen source material when set to 480i, whether you use the s-video or component outs.

This appears to be true other wise I would have gotten 16x9 WS in my test above but I did not ... I got 4:3 Letterboxed.

It's like this is being done on purpose !!!

I did however discover something that is somewhat usefull ... I have my cable TV split and one of the "raw" RF cable feeds go direct to one of the tuners on the TV ... this RF cable does not go through the cable box.

Now because it doesn't go through the box I only get some analog channels with the TV tuner but this is a HDTV and I am able to get a few local channels in HDTV using this method. For instance I get CBS and NBC and FOX but I don't get ABC for some reason (the channel is there but it is just "blank" i.e., black with no audio). Anways when I use the TV out on the HDTV I can record these channels in 16x9 WS on the DVD recorder! My TV has audio and video outputs and that is what I am using (tested with composite but there is also a S-Video output).

However the TV out doesn't seem to work when the input is the component cable from the Motorola DCT 6412 III ... when that is my source I get nothing on the TV out of the HDTV. Copy protection?

Quote Quote