VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Which Video editor do you use the most?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I would like to know which editor everyone uses most.
    Nick
    Quote Quote  
  2. Other...
    AviSynth and VirtualDub
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Adobe 1.51. I have 2.0 but have not installed it yet. I waiting for newer drivers from Matrox.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MVW.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Since you are asking this in the DV forum, VirtualDub Mod. (That may make your 'Other' votes on the high side.)

If you were asking about a MPEG editor instead, MPEG Video Wizard.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have Virtualdub on my pc. But can you do transitions with it? and Affects?
    Nick
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Premiere 6.5
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vegas 4.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    VD is just a simple editor, not really made for effects. But there is another freeware editor you might look into that appears to be able to do that, Zwei-stein.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Studio 9 from Pinnacle. Frankly, the product was not improved a lot since Studio 8.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Premiere 6.5. But firewire capture has been crappy lately. Not sure why. Use Window Movie Maker for capture instead. It capture 16:9 as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For AVI, Adobe Premiere 6.5 with Procoder 2 as the encoder.
    For MPEG, Womble MPEG VCR or Womble MPEG Video Wizard.

pchan, for DV, I suggest WinDV freeware for DV transfer.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by nickmind
    I have Virtualdub on my pc. But can you do transitions with it? and Affects?
    You can with AviSynth. I use Vdub as a front end gui for AviSynth.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ulead video studio or womble mpeg video wizard depending on what I'm doing
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    EditStudio for "real" work and VideoReDo when I'm just tossing something on DVD and don't need to make it pretty (though they are coming out with a version that does transitions, can't wait for that)
    Quote Quote  
  16. I use Ulead MediaStudio Pro. I first used VideoStudio 5 and needed more capability so I upgraded to MSP 6.5 Director's Cut. It did everything I needed, so I've stuck with MSP since then.

I'm now using MSP 7.3 and I have bought MSP 8 but haven't installed it yet. My "toolbox" also includes Ulead DVD Workshop 2, TMPGEnc MPEG Editor, TMPGEnc 3XP, TMPGEnc DVD Author, and most recently Womble MPEG Video Wizard. I'm a Toys 'R Us kid!

Mike
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pchan
    Premiere 6.5. But firewire capture has been crappy lately. Not sure why. Use Window Movie Maker for capture instead. It capture 16:9 as well.
    I guess you use WINDV for capturing. That software is truly the best you can use.

Nick
    Nick
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can not bevelive that no one has voted for Premiere Pro 2.0?
    Nick
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nickmind
    I can not bevelive that no one has voted for Premiere Pro 2.0?
    For most of us "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" so we're still on Premiere 6.5 or Premiere Pro 1.0 or 1.5. Adobe released far too many versions within a short timespan, it's silly to constantly give away money to them.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Premiere Pro 1.5. Stayed with 6.02 for a very long time before spending the money on Pro 1.5, so now it will be a while before I am willing to pay for another upgrade. I might feel differently if I was really pushing it to its limits.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've just started using Premeire Pro 2.0, I've been using Premiere since v6. Premiere 2.0 is great, but it's a real system hog. It does love my AMD 64x2 3800+ w/2 gig RAM. It has no problem running both processors.

Here's a little intro video clip I made using Premiere Pro 2.0 (actually you could do this with any version) for a Baseball Team of 11 year olds:

intro640.wmv
    I stand up next a mountain and chop it down with the ledge of my hand........ I'm a Voodoo child.... Jimi Hendrix,
    Quote Quote  
  22. I started with UVS 6 a couple of years ago but I never could find out how the scissors/cut worked in a project. The window changed often when I wanted to cut in aproject. I also used a trial version of UVS9(or was it 10), the same happened so I gave up when I received Pinnacle 9.4 with a new PC. It worked like a dream when cutting. However there are other minus's like I cannot burn a DVD from it because it stops. So I use another program for that. No solution from Pinnacle possible though they tried.
    However Pinnacle is the mainly used program.

It seems that there are no program that is optimal. I also used WMM when I wanted to make an addendum within a DV-film. WMM was the very best for this as it was the most exact and you could place a little bit of film into a dv-film in the camera exactly where one wanted it – almost within one picture (out of 25).

I have not found a program that is optimal. There is always some problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    Other...
    AviSynth and VirtualDub
    Same here. Yep.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  25. Premiere 6.5
    I tried Premiere Pro but almost came to hate it. Maybe I´m too used to the earlier versions but instead I have a fast, efficient, reliable and proven work flow, high quality results and still save all the money they ask for the newer versions with all their bells & whistles. I suppose I´ll take another look at it (Prem Pro) when I get myself my own HD equipment, in the meanwhile, 6.5 covers almost all my DV editing needs(also has great third party support)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To edit MPeg1 or MPeg2 I use Video Studio 8/9 but would also recommend Womble MPEG VCR or Womble MPEG Video Wizard. This is mostly for editing TV captures.

To edit DV format or uncompressed I use Vegas 6 mostly. I also have a machine with Premiere Pro 1.5. I'm holding back on Premiere Pro 2.0 until I upgrade to a more powerful machine later. Premiere Pro 2 has stiff hardware requirements and the $200 upgrade isn't my top priority.

To edit legacy MJpeg (or for video animation) I use Premiere 6.5 + an older version of After Effects.

For MPeg4 editing or for special filtering or transcoding, I go to VirtualDubMod and/or AviSynth plus other tools as needed.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As far as I'm concerned, using AVISYNTH to do the editing and VIRTUALDUB to check the edits is far superior to the "store bought" entries.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do those free apps offer the same features as the store bought ones or just simple cut edits?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ashtones
    Do those free apps offer the same features as the store bought ones or just simple cut edits?
    Anybody that thinks a free app like VirtualDub or AVISynth can perform at the same level as Premiere or Vegas is kidding themselves. There are quite a few things that can be done on the NLE timeline that those freebies would either choke on, or require so much coding that it prints out the length of a novel.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Virtualdubmod and AVISynth. All my editing is DV-AVI from a Canopus ADVC-100 so there's no need to get any more "advanced" than this.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote