VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone tell me if it is possible to re-record a sound track to an AVI vieo using VirtualDub. If so can you explain the steps, if not can you suggest a more suitable progam to use to accomplish what I want. ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well if its wav audio go to AUDIO - WAV AUDIO and you'll be able to insert the new track. I'm not sure how to do it with another audio type in virtualdub.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    VirtualDub Mod may be easier. Just go to 'Streams>Stream list' and click 'Add'. If you are replacing an existing audio, move your new one up and delete the old one. If you just want to mux it in use 'Direct stream' copy. If you want to convert it, use 'Full processing' and select your codec.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you 'yoda313' and 'redwudz' for your replies. To 'redwudz' a further question to you answer - having done what you suggested, can you then play the AVI and re-record with eg microphone whilst the video is playing ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you are talking about putting in a 'voice over' track, not with VDM. But you can probably use the freeware audio editor Audacity for that. It accepts and outputs both WAV and MP3 audio.

It accepts several audio tracks or inputs at once. You could play the video with VD or another player, then with a microphone through the sound inputs, record the second channel with Audacity, then blend them together as wanted.

I've never tried it, but you may be able to play and record at the same time with Audacity by putting the sound track in there on one channel and plugging in a microphone for the other channel input.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As redwudz said, it depends on what you mean by "re-record a sound track to an AVI video". If you mean a wholesale replacement (i.e. you have English-dubbed version, you want to replace it with original Chinese language version), then yes, as long as they're the same length and all that, and easier with VDubMod.

If you further changes, like take out the background music and replace with some othe rmusic, or take out the dialog, and so on, that's something else entirely.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all who have offered solutions, if I explain in detail what I am trying to do then you will have a better idea of how to offer the best solution. I trying to produce a series of tutorials of a PC application using screen video capture program to record both my on screen movements and also a simultaneous voice commentary which I make whilst making the screen movements with the cursor. Sometimes I am successful first time but at other times whilst the video is OK, I have made several errors or stumbles in the commentary. In these cases I wish to replay the video and re-record the commentary whilst watching the replay and am looking for the best solution to achieve this.
    Quote Quote