VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have few videos that play fine in all of my players that can play them, but when i want to open them with VirtualDub I get this message:

VirtualDub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding in the source AVI file and will rewrite the audio header with standart CBR values during processing for better compatibility. This may introduse up to 0 ms of skew from the video stream. If this is unacceptable, decompress the *entire* audio stream to an uncompressed WAV file and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder. (bitrate: 128.0=0.0 kbps)

than when i click "OK" and try to play it in VB this message pops up:

No audio decompressor could be found to decompress the source audio format (Source format tag: 0050)

What does that mean? does that mean that my videos are corrupted? They r playeble in VLC/WMP/Real players and it's all fine. why does VB says this?

What do I have to do to change it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    0050 is mp1 or mp2 audio. Your computer (XP?) should already have codecs installed for these formats. Try installing / reinstalling WMP10. Also (I'm not sure how relevant this is) but try installing the latest directx.

Are you sure it is saying 0050 and not 0055 (mp3)? I'd be a little surprised if you had an mp2 file with vbr encoding (but it is possible I guess)

Virtualdub does not use the same codecs as most players. Virtualdub uses vfw/acm codecs while most players will use directshow codecs.

As for the improper vbr message. If you want to re-encode the video the audio will probably become out of sync because of the vbr audio. The best solution - as virtualdub suggests - is to extract the audio to a wav file. It's a very simple process to do in virtualdub and I'm sure you can find a guide on videohelp somewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try opening it with the latest version of Gspot, 2.52, I believe. It should tell you exactly what codecs are used.

VBR audio will cause problems if you want to encode to MPEG. If you want to know how to handel the VBR, look here: https://www.videohelp.com/virtualdubaudio.htm
    Quote Quote  
  4. umm, yes i'm sure it said 0050 and not 55... thank you guys for explaining.

farcusnz, I already reinstalled WMP it doesn't help here.

redwudz, I have AVI codec it's pretty much the same as Gspot i believe.

What I didn't tell you guys is that this videos with this problem, originally were FLV format videos which I at first turned in to avi files using CinemaForge, than this message started to ouccur in VD.

But now I downloaded the programm called "Super" and it seems to be better, what I noticed is that the CinemaForge file, when I check it with AViCodec it says under "Video codec name" - OpenDivX v4.
    and under "Audio codec name" - Mpeg-1 audio Layer 2{MP2}

After I reincoded the file with SUPER the video codec is XviD Mpeg-4 and the audio codec MPEG Layer-3.

When I opened it with VD it still gives me the same message but when I click ok and try to play it, instead of giving me this message:

No audio decompressor could be found to decompress the source audio format (Source format tag: 0050)

it plays the file with the sound!

So I believe that is much better than it was in the begining.

Also what i noticed about SUPER is when i try to reencode videos that r very little size for ex. 176x144 when I try to reencode them they come out without a sound, does anyone know why and could tell me?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    audio tag 0x050 mpeg-1 layer 2 (mp2)

http://www.geocities.com/wilbertdijkhof/qmpeg_mp2.zip
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My problem is similar, but i have source format tag 0055.

I have used VirtualDub 1.6.1. before and got the VBR warning. When i selected compression -> MicrosoftADPCM 41.000 kHZ audio and video were in perfect sinc.

Now i want to use this methode again and i get the "No audio decompressor could be found to decompress the source audio format (source format tag 0055)." warning.

Gspot tells me that i need "0x0055 MPEG-1 Layer 3" And "XviD 1.2 SMP" but it also says they are both installed. I have tried to download LameMP3, but i cannot open or install the program for some reason.

All i want is to extract some clips from a tv show i like.... Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    With LAME MP3, you might want to try the LAME MP3 ACM version. http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-dshow-acm.php But Windows has a MP3 codec and that should also work. To encode or compress with more options, then LAME is a good choice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    AviDemux has no problems with VBR audio.
    Quote Quote