VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    hi i download lots of net videos all difrent formats, some rare, mpegs 1 and 2 vob files wmv sometimes, i love the clips and only save the best looking clips (cant stand poor q clips ugh!!) and some times i have problems adding all the diffrent formats to dvd just stops on me not all this time but some times!! so u i use nero super video cds as a fast format it seems to burn any format i want even mixed!! as for the picture q and sound of the video cds im really happy with them and cant tell any diffrent from dvd!!! true people say wmv are crap yes some are disgusting q but good q ones are hot i even showed a friend a screen cap and said it was dvd!!

he believed me you may think yes a screen cap , but the video on the dvd player murky no plays amazingly!! what i wanna know iv read on the net that a super video cd when burning clips to a super video cd(found on the net will the picture be the same as the way i found it?)

im very fussy over my video dvd videos i collect oh and another thing new to dvdrecorders and have lots of special videos i loved my collection of videos but i never looked back convertin to dvd i can play the dvd over and over without the video going bad!!

super video cds are cheep easy to make with a fab end result and can take any video format i
    added there not dvds but a very very good second best and fab for saving net clips or even clips saved on the pc

k

screen cap of a wmv
    video cds super video cds converting video to dvd dvd recorders music, live music all things bionic!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    1. Nero for encoding. What the ?

2. "cant stand poor q clips ugh!!" . Downloading generally = poor clips.

3. "cant tell any diffrent from dvd!!!" . Try playing them on a TV or projector setup bigger than 32". Then you'll be able to tell.

4. "i even showed a friend a screen cap and said it was dvd!!" . Noob alert !
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I will agreed that SVCD video quality can be very very good. But 40 minutes per disc is a big draw back. I also can get multiple subtitle and surround sound on DVD. I will say move on/up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    1. Nero for encoding. What the ?

2. "cant stand poor q clips ugh!!" . Downloading generally = poor clips.

3. "cant tell any diffrent from dvd!!!" . Try playing them on a TV or projector setup bigger than 32". Then you'll be able to tell.

4. "i even showed a friend a screen cap and said it was dvd!!" . Noob alert !

lol best

i have a masive tv and the clips look hot im talking about amazing q clips
    video cds super video cds converting video to dvd dvd recorders music, live music all things bionic!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You're still limited to around 2500kbps as the max video bitrate though with SVCD. Throw in some medium to fast action clips and watch the macroblocks fly.

And 2ch MP2 struggles against 2ch AC3 thru a 6.1 receiver with Pro Logic.

Don't get me wrong - I'm happy that you're happy with what you're getting, but believe me, DVD is better.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    Don't get me wrong - I'm happy that you're happy with what you're getting, but believe me, DVD is better.
    This man is telling the truth.

I still have about 100 disc of SVCD. Have not look at them, after I move to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I guess it could be worse - at least the KVCD team haven't got to you yet
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I did VCD in the last millenia but haven't done them or used them in years. I have a box somewhere with them in it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes i know dvds are better
    but sometime you have to convert the clips you find on the net and then copy to dvd, or sometimes the clips wont copy but will when i record to super video cd andway in the last month iv made 200 dvds and 14 super video cds so its all fliping good aint it boys!!! karen
    Quote Quote  
  10. If the encoder can encode to SVCD, it will able to encode the same source to DVD. Check TMPGenc out.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    200 DVDs? You've got me beat. I don't think I've done that many this year. I don't know if DVDs are better. Maybe SVCDs will be better in certain situations. I do know I personally never got into SVCD. I did VCDs sometimes but not very often.
    Quote Quote  
  12. When DVD Burners were not available we all made VCDs or SVCDs. The tastes are improving all the time as the resources availability improves.
    If one is downloading DivX or Xvid etc from I'net then it is all the same if you convert them to SVCD or DVD, quality is not going to be better in the DVD.
    Most of the satellite channels broadcast in frame sizes very similar to SVCD frame sizes, bitrates are even lower than 2Mb/s for the video.
    I hope these answer the initial querry
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by SingSing
    I still have about 100 disc of SVCD. Have not look at them, after I move to DVD.
    I tried to put my SVCD on a DVD with SVCD2DVDMPG, then TDA. TDA refused to take mpeg. Is there another method to pack SVCD on a DVD with freeware or TMPGenc products ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SVCD is 480x480 for NTSC and 480x576 for PAL

This is not a standard resolution for DVD but DVD does support 352x480 NTSC or 352x576 PAL and that resolution is called Half D1 and this resolution works really well for many sources.

Part of the "trick" is that you can use a higher bitrate with DVD but you can make a Video CD using Half D1 resolution and this is not called a VCD nor a SVCD but a CVD.

To be safe you should still stick to the bitrate limitations of SVCD and use 224kbps MP2 audio but many DVD players will work if you use 224kbps AC-3 audio.

The benefit to using CVD is you are using less resolution than SVCD yet the bitrate is as "good" as SVCD. The resolution loss is really not noticeable yet there is less resolution to "spread" the bitrate around so you end up with a better image using CVD than SVCD.

The only trick is that not all DVD players can handle a CVD CD but if you have a DVD burner you can still use Half D1 and it is completely DVD compliant ... so you can get more on a single DVD disc this way with decent quality (and better yet you can raise the bitrate a bit over the SVCD limitation).

But if you insist to burn a SVCD then please try CVD instead because IF your DVD player can play back a CVD then you will get better quality than SVCD.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I used to be realy into making SVCDs just to get better quality than VCD. This was earlier this decade when DVD burners and discs were really expensive. Roughly 3 years ago I bought a DVD burner and I never went back to SVCD. My situation is pretty much the same as SingSing.

I view SVCD as a dead format. It never really took off in the commercial marketplace. Nobody in Southeast Asia has produced commercial SVCDs in years, but VCD still survives. Once you move to making your own DVDs, which by the way will take up a lot less discs than SVCDs will, you'll do what many of us have already done - abandon the format. VCD has one thing going for it - length of play. Although commercial VCDs rarely exceed 60 minutes per disc, you can get up to 80 minutes of VCD video on an 80 minute CD-R. SVCD does have better quality than VCD, but it has 2 big drawbacks - quality not as good as DVD and it takes a lot more discs than VCD or DVD. I've seen some really good SVCDs and even made a few DVD to SVCD encodes that turned out great, but I have no enthusiasm at all for the format any more.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Sing Sing

There is something called DVDPatcher which was being used earlier to fool programs like Tmpg DVD Author. Go to the Tools section and you will find it and details on how to use it.

Most of the new DVD Authoring programs take the SVCD frame size without any complaint. Almost all DVD players play these disks (SVCD->DVD) without difficulty.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Random thoughts...

If you can make an SVCD out of a clip then you can make a DVD, both are just mpegs.

SVCD can be very good but it is not full DVD resolution. Check out What is SVCD and What is DVD for more information.

Nero is a crappy encoder.

If your mpegs are DVD spec then you are making them look worse by converting them. They should be authored straight to DVD.

I fail to see any advantage of SVCD over DVD.

The DVD format is far more flexible than SVCD with regards to bitrate, resolution, audio etc. and will play on everyones machine (almost).

The SVCD format is quite restricted and here in N.A. plays on a minority of machines.

Why use an 800 MB disk when you can get 4.3 GB for about the same price?

If you are happy with your SVCD then that's great, but you are showing your inexperience by promoting an inferior format here.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ark
    Almost all DVD players play these disks (SVCD->DVD) without difficulty.
    Depends where you live. If you player handles SVCD then chances are that it will play SVCD on DVD. As I have already pointed out, in North America only a minority of machines will play SVCD.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Simple measure of SVCD in the marketplace.

I used to see almost no DVD players using "SVCD" in the logo, then an increasing number till it was in the majority, then a decline, and today almost none list the capability. This is direct evidence that the manufacturers believe that the buying public does not care about SVCD.

I thought it was a great format, but today does not serve much useful purpose. The idea will live on, though, it will not be too long before we will be re-encoding Blu-Ray or HD-DVD onto DL disks, and we will probably call it "Super-DVD". And we will be looking for those few players that will play HD resolutions from an "old-fashioned" DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ZippyP.
    Random thoughts...

If you can make an SVCD out of a clip then you can make a DVD, both are just mpegs.

SVCD can be very good but it is not full DVD resolution. Check out What is SVCD and What is DVD for more information.

Nero is a crappy encoder.

If your mpegs are DVD spec then you are making them look worse by converting them. They should be authored straight to DVD.

I fail to see any advantage of SVCD over DVD.

The DVD format is far more flexible than SVCD with regards to bitrate, resolution, audio etc. and will play on everyones machine (almost).

The SVCD format is quite restricted and here in N.A. plays on a minority of machines.

Why use an 800 MB disk when you can get 4.3 GB for about the same price?

If you are happy with your SVCD then that's great, but you are showing your inexperience by promoting an inferior format here.

LOOK DEAR IM PROMOTING NOTHING!!!! READ ON LOVE...................................

right i have say i had 13 clips pop videos i found on the net !! right? i try and burn them onto dvd(coz its my fav format for saving clips) sometimes .not allways the nero recorder would just stop on a clip!! and not budge then id remove this clip start again..the dvd would burn ok.... so to save converting the bad clip (that would not copy on to dvd) id burn them onto super cd!! i dont burn or save any of my persional vhs videos or rare stuff from my home onto supercd) only net found clips iv downloaded from music download programs emule...things like that!! im happy with the q of a super video cd looks really good and plays with no problems why i can even make fancy menues for them....................

so what im saying is i would want a clip/s saved on dvd over supervideo cd anyday but if it wont copy supervideo cd is a good second best!!!!

karen
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    I guess it could be worse - at least the KVCD team haven't got to you yet
    Haven't seen Karl been bashed for months.

What are you looking for? Is it users that make SVCD's? A comparision between SVCD and DVD?
    Have a nice Day
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bionickaren
    so what im saying is i would want a clip/s saved on dvd over supervideo cd anyday but if it wont copy supervideo cd is a good second best!!!!
    And what I'm saying is that if you can make an SVCD you can make a DVD as they are both just basically mpegs. If you can't then there's something really wrong in your method or with your software. There is no point in settling for second best in this case as second best = inferior.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ZippyP.
    Originally Posted by bionickaren
    And what I'm saying is that if you can make an SVCD you can make a DVD as they are both just basically mpegs. If you can't then there's something really wrong in your method or with your software. There is no point in settling for second best in this case as second best = inferior.
    i use nero express to make my dvds or supervideo cds
    when i make dvd sometimes it burns no problems other times it sticks on one clip
    and iv to shut pc doen to shut nero!! its happens not all the time but sometimes ...what can i do? thanks karen
    Quote Quote  
  24. If I understand what you are saying, it is that some clips fail during the DVD creation process and the same clips will successfully process to SVCD.

What you are being told is that the process for both is exactly the same, other than a few settings changes and the disk type used. If a clip fails for DVD creation, this is usually a problem internal to the clip and should cause the same issue for SVCD creation.

It may very well be that the same clip which seperately can be processed to SVCD can also be seperately processed to DVD. Your program may be reacting to some property of the suspect clip that causes problems only in combination with other clips. I do not use Nero Express, but have seen similar issues in other software and on my standalone player.

Which brings me to your software. Nero is a good burning program, but a crappy encoder and authoring program. Using a different software set would probably eliminate your issues.
    Extra benefit would be better quality encodes, and higher resolution, which will yield better looking video in the final product.

Cost of media being so low, the advantage of SVCD is mostly gone now. Also, using DVD will result in the simple bonus of having fewer disks to keep track of.

But if you like SVCD, by all means, use it. It is just that your stated reason is simply not valid. There is no such thing as a clip which will process to SVCD but not to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  25. dvd burner+stack of dvdr from newegg or such=somewhere in the area of around 50-60 dollars....thats all the more i will say
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bionickaren - are all your files the same type? I have had problems in the past when trying to put NTSC and PAL video onto the same DVD using Nero.
    Mediocrity is the new Gold Standard.

Buy Platinum.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wyntre
    Bionickaren - are all your files the same type? I have had problems in the past when trying to put NTSC and PAL video onto the same DVD using Nero.
    Many DVD players will choke on a DVD Video disc that has both NTSC and PAL content.

That is way out-of-spec for the DVD format.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was referring to authoring a DVD with multiple format videos. Nero will let you place both NTSC and PAL content in one project, but you only select one output type. I have had it hang when trying to convert the other format (PAL) into my NTSC compliation, or vice versa.
    Mediocrity is the new Gold Standard.

Buy Platinum.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Originally Posted by Wyntre
    Many DVD players will choke on a DVD Video disc that has both NTSC and PAL content.

That is way out-of-spec for the DVD format.

no some are mpegs some are wmv some are vob files some are supervideocd files i just add the lot to nero some times it burns the dvd and every thing on it plays amazingly on my dvd player under my tv, other times it just stops dead...........
    Quote Quote