VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here
    and here;
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/
    ...speechless in FL...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please use a more descriptive title that reflects your post content. "Hell has Frozen Over... " is not descriptive. You will get more responses this way and others will be able to search for your post subject if they have similar problems.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now all they need to do is let Mac OS X run on other hardware.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I thought that "hell had frozen over", when Mac dropped PPC for x86/Intel.

I remember getting into an argument with another member here just a few weeks ago (?Serbian) when someone finally worked out a way of installed WinXP on the new Intel Macs. According to Serbian, it seemed like a huge travesty/tragedy. After all, who could ever want to install Windows on a Mac!

Well, it seems now that Jobs has seen the light. The new Intel Macs are brilliantly designed machines but as I'm sure a lot of us "Windows" people feel that OSX just can't replace Windows, especially if I need to run essential software.

All of a sudden, an Intel Mac may well be my next PC purchase...

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now if they would only drop the price of their hardware.

Oh wait... I think hell would freeze over.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The shock of this news is that its official Apple support for dual booting, which I never expected. The hell freezing over moment will come when Dell ceases operations! hahaha
    Quote Quote  
  7. Now all they need to do is let Mac OS X run on other hardware.
    Now Hell would have truly frozen over if this ever happend!

Apple, past and present, never would release an OS that would run on non-Mac hardware. The Mac-clones was a short lived, half-hearted attempt at that. Apple killed the clones because it was cutting into their hardware sales.

That pretty much cemented Apple as a hardware company. They are all about the hardware - always has been back to the Appe II days. The iPod and the Mac Mini prove that point even more today.

That's not to say they haven't tinkered or experimented with the MAC OS on pc hardware. Rumors abound that Apple had OS 7 (?) running on Pentium processors that outperformed their motorolla cousins. But if such a product ever existed, it was shelved.

I have to say, I was very interested in the Mac mini when it first debuted now that you can dual boot OS X and XP on it, I'm even more interested!

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  9. I like how Apple made the Windows logo look like a swastika. LOL
    Keeper of the "Unofficial" iMovie FAQ also for the lastest iMovie news click here
    Your source for iMovie answers and what not! ;-)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So Apple finally saw the light....

Now they may actually have a shot at competing in the business world, not just schools :P

I wonder what Microsoft thinks of this. I heven't read anything from them about it, one way or the other.... Bill Gates is probably thrilled - this should make Microsoft's attempt at wolrd domination that much easier
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgment."
    Zefram Cochrane
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by j1d10t
    So Apple finally saw the light....

Now they may actually have a shot at competing in the business world, not just schools :P

I wonder what Microsoft thinks of this. I heven't read anything from them about it, one way or the other.... Bill Gates is probably thrilled - this should make Microsoft's attempt at wolrd domination that much easier
    Just another $90/machine to Gates.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    I also read that after Apple announced this Microsoft shares rose 9 cents. So that's good for Microsoft shareholders, too.
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgment."
    Zefram Cochrane
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How long untill Gates finds a way to make a XP licence mandatory for every MAC. I bet he has a plan to monitor businesses.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by j1d10t
    Originally Posted by edDV
    I also read that after Apple announced this Microsoft shares rose 9 cents. So that's good for Microsoft shareholders, too.
    As opposed to Apple shares going up over $5.50 today?
    Keeper of the "Unofficial" iMovie FAQ also for the lastest iMovie news click here
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DanSlagle
    As opposed to Apple shares going up over $5.50 today?
    I was remarking on the $90/machine joke.

$5.50? Wow. I had read something like $4.70, but that was earlier. Just looking, it looks like Apple closed up $6.04 (to close at $67.21)and Microsoft closed up 10 cents (to close at $27.74). Good for Apple. This will open them up to a larger market, because now people won't really need to think about which one to buy - get a computer that is more reliable, or one that is compatible with more widely-used software. It really won't matter anymore.

A question for anyone that has this, do you have to start up with the MAC OS, then choose to reboot to Windows, or does it let you choose at start up? Can you set Windows to be the default? I'd be interested to hear more details from people that have used this....
    Zefram Cochrane
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Apple needs to get back up to where they were in January.

Microsoft needs to get Vista out and into businesses. Long flat story.

Linear scale better shows the rise and fall

Quote Quote  
  18. I like the chart since OSX was released. M$ has been DEAD FLAT since I sold it for $116 a share.

Windows people are living in the past and will not even have that great of an OS come January. They should be ashamed of what Vista is actually delivering after 6 years of development.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I like the chart since OSX was released. M$ has been DEAD FLAT since I sold it for $116 a share.

Windows people are living in the past and will not even have that great of an OS come January. They should be ashamed of what Vista is actually delivering after 6 years of development.
    I wouldn't disagree with that statement but Apple's gains have been more to do with the IPod than OSX.

I want Apple to go higher so I can sell some and get a new camcorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Windows people are living in the past
    Maybe, but we can run the popular/widely-used software that the rest of the world uses
    Zefram Cochrane
    Quote Quote  
  21. 1 point for j1d10t.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I = Have it.
    It = Totally Rad

Post in Firefox from Windows XP on a Macbook Pro with full video support.

Now once I get everything back up and running I can flee tired old XP and only come back when there is gaming to be done.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I have 'pure' macs, PPC's Im planning on helping a friend set up a new intel iMac and then a intel iBook when they come out.

they have a dell with windows XP I think on CD than came with the dell.

in the NYTimes and other sorces they say you need to buy a new copy of Windows XP for around $200 dollars.

is this true? can the reinstall CD that came with the del,l work? Im not at that computer so can't say if its the same as the XP you might buy.

the reason for the dual install for them would be some school software for PC thats unavailable for Mac for their daughter.

cheers

rotuts
    MPro 2.66 3GB RAM 1.5TB HD's
    MigliaMiniHD
    QTPro, MPEG2 add on MPlayerX2
    MPEG Streamclip
    24 + 21" samsung flat panels
    G4dual 2GB
    AlchemyDVR card
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Legalities of installing the same license on two computers aside, I think the Dell version of XP is tailored to fit Dell computers.
    I know other software bundled/included with Dell is, like PowerDVD (or was it WinDVD?) - It refuses to install on anything but the Dell model it came with.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  25. in the NYTimes and other sorces they say you need to buy a new copy of Windows XP for around $200 dollars.

is this true? can the reinstall CD that came with the del,l work? Im not at that computer so can't say if its the same as the XP you might buy.
    You can buy an OEM version at newegg.com for about $86 XP home, $140 XP Pro.

As far as using your Dell CD, as others stated, it depends. Recently Dell has been locking their software with their computers. So the CD might not work. Try it and see.

Quote Quote  
  26. Maybe, but we can run the popular/widely-used software that the rest of the world uses
    You mean you run Linux :P
    Quote Quote  
  27. Check this report on virtualization on the intel macs

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2006-04-06/#5340
    Quote Quote  
  28. Check this report on virtualization on the intel macs
    That's very interesting. In regards to linux, Redhat plans on support of Mactels:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060125-6045.html

Virtualization is interesting but kind of a yawn since IBM's Power series processors (from which PPC was derived) and new Cell processor already support virtualization and have so from sometime. How well Intel does virtualization remains to be seen.

Quote Quote