VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !

Poll: Ebay, sucks or rocks?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. As easy as it gets.

Discuss.
    1f U c4n r34d 7h1s, U r34lly n33d 2 g3t l41d!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sucks unless you want something rare/hardtofind/vintage
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Treebeard
    sucks unless you want something rare/hardtofind/vintage
    Ditto. And when I want to get something cheap (hard to do these days as people want to charge retail price on something used thats five years old then add $30 for shipping).
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    how about a useful at times option?

it doesn't rock nor suck for me but it has it's uses 8)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with MackemX - Pro's and con's...

They need to separate the private sales from store fronts as do they need to fix the shipping cost issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I find eBay usefull at times, too. I think what makes it suck the most are people trying to use it as an online store for income and others not following the rules and making others be more stringent and difficult at selling & buying. If people would quit being f**king a** lazy and conduct business fairly and honestly, then it wouldn't be such a f**king pain to get something for a reasonable price that's hard to find.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it was nice when it was just the average people using it ...

90% of what there now seems to be commercial -- need to be able to filter it out

i was just on it -- thinking of selling a few 1000 albums .... but it kinda put me off looking through the postings ..
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    eBay is a sellers market I think. Bargains are harder to come by due to the amount of silly bidders on there now bumping up the prices sometimes without having any idea of what it's worth

some people actually buy stuff that is either the same price, slightly more expensive or even cheaper brand new from an online store

one example was I saw a few people fighting over a chrome steering wheel insert for a BMW and it went for something like 15. I could buy one in a local motor store for 3. I actually sent messages to the losing bidders saying I could supply them for 10 inc P&P

another thing I see often are people having a bidding war on an item with plenty of time left, yet there are exactly the same items elsewhere with no bids at all or it's a fraction of the price

it just shows how lazy and stupid some people are
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen those. Dammit, if a product goes higher than <20% from the actual cost, I usually start another bid somewhere else. I'm not in a hurry.

I'll see an Item I can find in the store for $20. If the cost goes higher than $16 including s&h, someone else gets my bid until I win somewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I would like to know why when I'm trying to buy something, it is always so expensive, and when it's me the one selling it, why it always ends in such a low price.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @MackemX : This tends to happen at live auctions also - people get all wound up in the auction. I've been to many auctions where used stuff (usually office electronics) goes for more than the new price.

The only "deals" seem to be the more obscure items - the ones where the general public doesn't know what the item is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MeDiCo_BrUjO
    I would like to know why when I'm trying to buy something, it is always so expensive, and when it's me the one selling it, why it always ends in such a low price.....
    Kinda like playing poker... I fold and the winner has a pair of threes... I stay and my flush gets beat by a boat...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MeDiCo_BrUjO
    I would like to know why when I'm trying to buy something, it is always so expensive, and when it's me the one selling it, why it always ends in such a low price.....
    apart from making a pretty decent layout and including many pictures and info, one trick I always do if I sell stuff (mostly using my mates/families accounts as they know I'm good on eBay) is that I will make a note of similar auctions that are in action while I'm thinking of putting this item on eBay. I will then take a note of the losing bidders who bid a high price and then message them to point them to the auction after it's gone live

it sure helps drive up the price when you get people who want an item 8)

another trick is to make sure your item ends Sunday late teatime, so a 10 day listing would start the Thursday before. This is because Sunday teatime is probably the best time for most people who can have a bidding war right up until the end of the auction . I can't believe the times/days some auctions end as it just shows the seller hasn't got a clue that even the end time of an auction will affect his winning bid

p.s. :ahem:, where's the option so I can vote? :P
    https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1496271#1496271
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hmmmm. Sunday teatime. So when is that exactly? Not to be rude, but for THE REST OF THE WORLD, we aren't quite accustomed to a daily period known as teatime. The closest is for people in the medical field (TeeTime) Which would start at about 7am and go until 9am. After finishing the back nine, it's then happy hour.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    50/50 I've made some money there, but I've spent more than I earned.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Doramius
    hmmmm. Sunday teatime. So when is that exactly? Not to be rude, but for THE REST OF THE WORLD, we aren't quite accustomed to a daily period known as teatime. The closest is for people in the medical field (TeeTime) Which would start at about 7am and go until 9am. After finishing the back nine, it's then happy hour.
    I did actually think about putting in a time but teatime here in the UK is mid afternoon and teetime is a different spelling :P. I was generally talking around 4pm to say 6pm, maybe 7pm at a push

you just don't like using Google do you? :P It would have been quicker than typing your reply . I guess you have no friends at all as I thought Google was everyone's friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    google just registered googlehdtv.net and googledvr.org
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use it and have been for years. Selling and buying. No real problems.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MackemX
    Originally Posted by Doramius
    I did actually think about putting in a time but teatime here in the UK is mid afternoon and teetime is a different spelling :P. I was generally talking around 4pm to say 6pm, maybe 7pm at a push

you just don't like using Google do you? :P It would have been quicker than typing your reply . I guess you have no friends at all as I thought Google was everyone's friend
    You must type slow. :P
    TeeTime is for golfing. You start in the morning. Take a long lunch. Finish the back 9. Head to the 19th hole for Happy Hour. Makes for a great Saturday or Sunday.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by MackemX
    p.s. :ahem:, where's the option so I can vote? :P
    https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1496271#1496271
    Ok Ok, added!.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    added due to popular demand
    , I've changed my mind now :P

@Doriamus, I knew it was golf and I can't understand the thrill people get in the same manner as people who go fishing at silly times . Just to be even more awkward isn't it tee time anyway and not one word?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Last week (I think) I saw a widescreen lcd tv that was selling for $500
    or so retail.

They shiester (I mean) owner of that item was selling like, maybe 5 of
    these units. I saw most of them, where various people were "pushing"
    the price up, every few dollors and/or $10, $50, etc. I've been doing
    some studying on this theavery-type behavior. And, I noticed that they
    do this OWNLY in the biginning, when the bid opens at a lower price.
    Otherwise, they risk a huge loss, if someone or two, starts out with a
    bid of say, .01 and it stays, till right at the very end of auction.

( it is my theory, at this time, that these people are all working
    in cahoots, I mean, concert. I mean, its like "unlimited calling"
    where you can make hundreds of calls in a day, and not loose any money,
    when the rate is $30 bucks a month. They could make a hundred calls
    in a day.. and get away with it )

Anyays. I seen in one of those bids, where the widescreen had sold for
    $379 bucks.

But, in another recent winnig, someone walked out with one that was for
    $201 bucks. Same monitor, mind you. The guy was selling a bunch of them
    off in a row. I think it was a ebayoutet#41 or something.. where these
    guys are 20k counts. Apparently, the "pushers" must have went on too
    long of a brake or something, that they missed out, or, someone else
    was just a little quicker. I don't know..

But, I do keep my eye open from time to time. I just don't make it
    a full time job. It's not worth it. But, I did actaully make like a
    bandit on one auction where I won a bit, and paid $0.01 cent
    (well, shipping was $10 bucks) but I think that that, was shear luck.
    And, I haven't found *more* luke like that since.

-vhelp 3877
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MackemX
    some people actually buy stuff that is either the same price, slightly more expensive or even cheaper brand new from an online store
    Like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Premium-Edition-System-Game-Console_W0QQitemZ82...QQcmdZViewItem

Even more funny, one of the extras that comes with it.

(1) Instruction manuals
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good news: I use ebay all the time to buy stuff. Not expensive stuff but just crap that I think I need.

Bad news: Usually I realize a few days after getting it that indeed its crap and I didn't really need it at all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've never sold anything on eBay but have bought a few things. Maybe I'm just lucky but I've never been stiffed by any seller. It's where I got my vintage RCA VHS camcorder (uses full-size VHS tapes) that still works very very well. On one occasion, I ordered a computer that arrived DOA ... and the seller reimbursed me for the cost of item AND shipping/handling. My last eBay purchase was 2 days ago - the Japanese-released CD of the "Moments" album by Boz Scaggs. Still waiting for it to come by mail from Chicago.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Bought quite a bit, not sold anything
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've bought lots of used computer components such as dvdroms, a mobile AMD cpu, video cards, my first mobo combo P3 933mhz cpu and P3 mobo's. From all of that I've had 3 dvdroms that were bad/broken to begin with so I got refunds, 2 P3 mobo's sent back for refunds as well. I've had only 3 sellers try to con me that the components were working okay before shipping. Those 3 sellers packed the components with no packing peanuts or bubble wrap. The dvdroms were in a plain manila envelope with no bubble wrap. Mobo was sent in a priority mail box with a few pieces of newspaper.

I agree there are pros and cons. It sure has become commercialized. I tend to stay away from those Big store sellers who have ebay stores with 20,000 feedback but 689 negative feedback!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ebay has a section in feedback where it seperates the feedbcak from seller and buyer which seems like a good idea.

I think ebay should also have a seperate section in feedback where it seperates all the positive feedback from the negative feedback.

BTW, has anyone noticed freewares like DVD Decrypter and DVd Shrink are up for sale on ebay

Originally Posted by budz
    I tend to stay away from those Big store sellers who have ebay stores with 20,000 feedback but 689 negative feedback!
    Same here.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by waheed
    Ebay has a section in feedback where it seperates the feedbcak from seller and buyer which seems like a good idea.

I think ebay should also have a seperate section in feedback where it seperates all the positive feedback from the negative feedback.

BTW, has anyone noticed freewares like DVD Decrypter and DVd Shrink are up for sale on ebay

Originally Posted by budz
    I tend to stay away from those Big store sellers who have ebay stores with 20,000 feedback but 689 negative feedback!
    Same here.
    yeah, you can often get to know a little more about it of you visit the feedback forum . I'm not too sure where DVDShrink & DVD Decrypter stand but regardless they are both illegal programs anyway. Some freewares do allow reselling but only to cover production/postage costs
    Quote Quote  
  30. I use it a fair bit. I agree with the above comments that they should separate the commercial stores from the average sellers. Just about the only chance to get a bargain these days is with the normal sellers. The most I've spent for one item is $600. I don't think I'd like to risk more than that for an item unless I could check it out for myself. I must admit, some prices people are asking make me laugh Still it is not as bad as the wholesale or live trade markets - there are too many idiots there who have no idea what an item is worth, and end up bidding new prices for refurbished equipment.

I love gazumping other bidders just at the last second. Sometimes I bump the bid up if I think some idiot has autobid too much. It can be fun!
    Quote Quote