VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    aside from gigabit lan.. 10/100 lan is only 12.5MBs anyway right? isnt 10/100mbs = to 1.25/12.5 MBs?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like a local server.
    Quote Quote  
  3. No, it is not a local server.

It is a 100/10 service and the most I ever got out of it is 9.6 MByte down and 1.2 MByte up when doing real work.

It did cost me 40$/month, but now it is included in the rent.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Run your test on speedtest.net. If you're only getting about 9.6Mbps real work in your DL it's only about 10Mbps down. That' pretty normal. I don't know many people that have any kind of a connection outside over 25Mbps, unless it's through their local server. I've run 92Mbps down on a local server myself.
    Quote Quote  
  5. OK I am officially stupid!

I thought 10 Mbit / second was close to 1.2 Mbyte/second

And that 83.5 Mbit/second was a little less than 9.6Mbyte/second

Obviously I am wrong and I retire from the discussion.

Sorry to have bothered you.

Bye!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    langland. dont know what set you off.. no one was making yu wrong or anything.. i wasnt even refering to your post when i posted.. to answer your guestion
    yes 10mbit up is good.. in the upload window it should show around 100KBs-120KBs and your down is more like 1000KBs those are the numbres you should see..now thats depending on hte source. obviously it can only go as fast as it being sent.

with the speed burst people are seeing with comcast and some others the numbers are around 300-500KBs up and 1000-1500KBs ive seen 2000KBs down. but as i saidin an earlier post that only last for a few meg then it goes back to normal
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another thing is data is transferred in bits, not bytes. While it sounds like it should move that way, it doesn't. I can't tell you how often that gets mixed up. Don't feel bad at all. It is nice to know the correct terminology too. This way you don't feel like a blonde girl dropping a car off with a mechanic.

56kbps = .056Mbps (Phone Modem)
    1500kbps = 1.5Mbps (typical simple LAN or low end broadband service)
    1000Mbps = 1Gbps (corporate or specialized high volume LAN or WAN. Some gamers use this at LAN parties because of the large vollume of data transfer for multiple machines.

1000Mbps is called a Gigbit LAN. That's where you'll see on local servers speeds ranging in the hundreds or even 80-90Mbps. As long as the machine itself can handle the speeds and the NIC card on it has 1Gbps capabilities, it's quite possible to see those speeds.

Again, the highest speed for DL (download) when connected to the outside internet is generally about 25-30Mbps in some areas. Average is about 6Mbps. Most popular are usually the 1.5-3Mbps for home speeds. 1.5Mbps for heavy internet use and moderate or light gaming, with only 1 PC attached. 3Mbps for 2 PCs with large internet activity, with light gaming or 1 PC with moderate to large gaming. 5Mbps for 1PC with heavy internet use and heavy gaming, or 2-3 PCs with moderate or large internet use and light to minimal game use. These are just general numbers, but they give a good clue to use.

Be fore warned. If you have a LAN party, you probably won't notice much difference between a 1Gbps and 100Mbps router, as the speed of data from the PC itself, during the game, probably won't go over 50-60Mbps at the most active moments. However, a 1Gbps router may only be $20 more at time of purchase, so It really wouldn't matter. Again, Nice info. to know.
    Quote Quote