VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    hi i have a old off air concert from 1984 its a really good copy its a 3 generation but still its got issues iv converted it to dvd using a bush comb dvd recorder and video bush dvhrso2 i wanna make the picture better and sort the colour and if i can remove the hiss , the hiss its self is not bad and the sounds really good but i wanna improve on it some how iv posted a screen cap from the dvd i made , can any one help me on this i really dont know much about, sorting it, i did however remove a bad part in the video by stoping and then starting copy again ie cut the bad bit out you cant even tell i did it as its was in the same song!! what i want for this video recorded to dvd is to improve on what i have sort picture some how and remove hiss and if i can make sound stronger!!!

screen cap from the dvd i made....................

this is my first post i hope i can get some help thanks k

the dvdr disc i record onto will this made any diffrence to how the video will look on disc?
    and is it just me but the dvd looks better than the video how can this be? thanks

k

another screen cap this is what it looks like on tv when there moving,

thanks you all for your help
    video cds super video cds converting video to dvd dvd recorders music, live music all things bionic!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can use audio editors like audacity (freeware) to try to clean up the hiss. You'd have to extract the audio after copying the dvd to the computer. Virtualdubmod can extract audio from a vob file and save it to wav. From there you can edit and save the cleaned file and reauthor it.

As for the video thats a bit tricker. There are video filters for virtualdub. However you'll be reencoding it and it takes longer. You would load the vobs into virtualdubmod and frameserve it to a mpeg encoder like tmpgenc (virtualdub only natively supports avi output so you must send it to a dedicated mpeg encoder program).

There are many guides for this on this website. Check out the guides section on the left <------
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I will probably get shot down in flames by some of the more experienced people here, but with the equipment you have used (Bush - which is low-end equipment) and this being a third generation tape, that is a pretty good capture IMO. But this doesn't mean that it can't be improved upon.

Without expecting you to go out and buy a better VCR or DVD Recorder, I would suggest that you get an item along the lines of this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Copymate-Video-Copy-Enhancer_W0QQitemZ9705168673QQcategoryZ3318Q...QQcmdZViewItem

This would fit between the VCR and The DVD Recorder. It is pretty cheap and they come up on ebay quite often in the UK. I use one and can make some of my captures better if old tapes' colour may be washed out or over saturated. Also it can sharpen up the picture, but you have to be careful as to not make the picture look 'plasticy'. The stabalise feature is not worth worrying about IMO.

The bottom line is, that without expensive higher end equipment, not much can be done with the picture but things can be made a *little* better.

I would say that the DVDR used won't make any difference to the playback, unless you use cheap un-reliable discs and the reason that the DVD will look a bit better than the tape is that the playback of the DVD will be (without knowing the BUSH specs.) probably improving the image upon playback.

I hope that this is helpful.
    Cole
    Quote Quote  
  4. Picture quality is very subjective, also screen caps do not show tru quality,usually lower than on a TV, but I agree that looks pretty good, and if this is aone or few off, try simple stuff first.

We can get carried away on here with perfection when in the end whatw e want is to watch and enjoy our endeavours.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by victoriabears
    Picture quality is very subjective, also screen caps do not show tru quality,usually lower than on a TV, but I agree that looks pretty good, and if this is aone or few off, try simple stuff first.

We can get carried away on here with perfection when in the end whatw e want is to watch and enjoy our endeavours.

well my bush recorder makes videos put on dvd very very good i got a pro to put same video concert on to dvd just b4 i got my bush dvdr and video and my one looks better!!!!
    video cds super video cds converting video to dvd dvd recorders music, live music all things bionic!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's blurry and color bleedy.
    There is chroma noise.
    The dark values are overbearing (too dark, too contrasting).
    The audio will have hiss knowing the source.

My fix:
    - Fix blurry and minimize color bleed with detailer.
    - Fix dark values with proc amp
    - Fix chome noise by using equipment with an LSI chip
    - Fix audio by doing a simply noise reduction (noise cancellation method) in GoldWave.

In software, for the video, play with VirtualDub filters. Use the "chroma noise removal" and "dynamic noise reduction" filters. Adjust the values in "HSV" or another color (proc amp like) filter. Export to an uncompressed AVI and then re-encode to MPEG with a good encoder like Procoder.

Those are my suggestions.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    It's blurry and color bleedy.
    There is chroma noise.
    The dark values are overbearing (too dark, too contrasting).
    The audio will have hiss knowing the source.

My fix:
    - Fix blurry and minimize color bleed with detailer.
    - Fix dark values with proc amp
    - Fix chome noise by using equipment with an LSI chip
    - Fix audio by doing a simply noise reduction (noise cancellation method) in GoldWave.

In software, for the video, play with VirtualDub filters. Use the "chroma noise removal" and "dynamic noise reduction" filters. Adjust the values in "HSV" or another color (proc amp like) filter. Export to an uncompressed AVI and then re-encode to MPEG with a good encoder like Procoder.

Those are my suggestions.

lol no bother ...lol
    Quote Quote