VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have had 100% fail rate on Verbantim DL medias for some reason. When it burns, it does fine for the first 2GB then the burner acts up and spits out the disc with write fail error message. The disc from beyond 2GB mark looks like old style records with several obvious skipped tracks. Or a close up image of Saturn's rings

I have tried with other brands (single and DL +/-R, they burn fine but not Verbantim, it always end up looking like records. Phot of the CD up close (a bit dark as I had to do without flash): http://personalpages.tds.net/~wilykat/DSC00747.JPG

Info from DVD Identifier:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:MKM-001-000]
    Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R DL] - [DVD+R DL]
    Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Kagaku Media]
    Manufacturer ID : [MKM]
    Media Type ID : [001]
    Product Revision : [Not Specified]
    Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8.55 GB (7.96 GiB)]
    Recording Speeds : [2.4x]
    [ DVD Identifier V4.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

I use Liteon DVD burner 1693S and I have tried various burn speed.

Incompatiable media? Or just bad luck?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    From the looks of your DVD picture, that is messed up. I didn't see what program you were using to burn with. I use DVD Decrypter to burn. ISO Read>ISO Write. I have 100% success with Verbatim DL. You can also use the newer ImgBurn program.

It may be the burning program, try one of the programs mentioned above. If not, it may be a problem with the burner. Verbatim is usually the most compatible DL media.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It is not casued by the media, itself. What software did you used ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used TMPGEnc DVD Author initially and tried again using Nero to burn the ISO created from TMPG DVD Author. So 2 different programs, same problem. But like I said only with Verbantim media. Maybe the burner needs a firmware upgrade or something?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use DVD Decryptor or ImgBurn to write the ISO. If you have AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders, user RecordNow 7.3. You'll find those 3 apps seem to work best according to posts here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Does the disc burn successfully? Is the data burnt retrievable?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Look at thoese rings, I think answer is no.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I've got quite a few RWs that look like that and they still read back fine.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried using ISO Buster on the failed disc, it was only able to partially salvage a coupe GB so it's defiantly not readable in the latter part.

I'll try both ImgBurn and RecordNow and see if it works. Only got one blank DL left >_< those don't come cheap.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quick update: wrong burn speed setting seems to be the cause. I noticed that when I tried imgburn and when I retested with TMPGEnc DVD author and Nero, both offered 4x burn setting but the DVD I have are labeled for 2.4x only. I manually changed to 2.4x and no more problem. It seems Verbantim DL discs are not compatible with 4x burn speed.
    Quote Quote  
  11. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....
    Quote Quote