VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=202166476&adid=17070&dcaid=17070

This is the first $200 19" LCD monitor that has more than the usual 1280x768 resolution. You get 1440 x 900 out of this one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds interesting but is it a 16x9 monitor? It says widescreen but the image of the product doesn't look like it is 16x9 or anything other than your standard 4:3 ratio?

Also what is going on with the new "Vista" version of Windows? I've heard that to be able to play back HDTV video that you will need a new type of monitor that supports DRM and to the best of my knowledge such monitors do not yet exist.

I guess I am implying that now seems to be a "bad" time to buy a monitor if things will be changing in the near future.

Best not to buy one if the current monitor is A-OK.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    No where near is this the first widescreen 19" LCD. Acer has the best one in the AL1916W model. Other notables are Dell, Samsung, Hitachi, Viewsonic, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. But none of those LCD are at $200+.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sgi had a widescreen "SGI 1600sw" that still blows a lot of newer lcd out of the water - and that model is over 6 years old ...
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    btw -- you want to see some nice monitors and equipment ..

http://www.videomonitor.co.kr/PD_02e.htm
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by SingSing
    But none of those LCD are at $200+.
    I was hoping this tread is about low cost, high res LCD monitor.

We kind of know most LCD came from Korea and China. The branded and the less known LCD monitor can be the same panel under them.

But LCD is tought to buy online. 1. We don't known what it LOOK like. 2. Are these rejects with a few dead pixels to start with ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SingSing

We kind of know most LCD came from Korea and China. The branded and the less known LCD monitor can be the same panel under them.

But LCD is tought to buy online. 1. We don't known what it LOOK like. 2. Are these rejects with a few dead pixels to start with ?
    All of them excluding the Dell is cheaper than the one you listed. I've bought 2 Acer AL1916W @ $238. http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=3926616

It's not tough to buy online. You just need to buy from a reputable source with a good RMA policy. If you buy your panels off Ebay, you get what you pay for.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it doesnt have DVI input which kind of s*x .... though at that price , i guess you should not be fussy ...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thank you. This is what I was looking for.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by ROF

All of them excluding the Dell is cheaper than the one you listed. I've bought 2 Acer AL1916W @ $238. http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=3926616

It's not tough to buy online. You just need to buy from a reputable source with a good RMA policy. If you buy your panels off Ebay, you get what you pay for.
    some companies that sell stuff on ebay have decent return policies, you just gotta be careful and be sure to buy from someone with a ton of feedback (i generally look for 20,000+ feedback when buying something from ebay, it's generally a lot safer than buying from individual sellers....)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It has kind of a funky screen size/resolution, 16x10.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I think it is same as one of the laptop display resolution ( I think it's Dell ).
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It's the same for most wide screen computer LCDs.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Found this at compusa ( local to me )
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=337694&pfp=browse&tabtype=ts#moreinfo

Does Envision honour and process their rebate promptly ?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by whitejremiah

some companies that sell stuff on ebay have decent return policies, you just gotta be careful and be sure to buy from someone with a ton of feedback (i generally look for 20,000+ feedback when buying something from ebay, it's generally a lot safer than buying from individual sellers....)
    I tend to do nearly the exact opposite. Of course, I'd never buy my computer parts off Ebay but people with 20,000+ feedback usually do not have the niche items which makes Ebay so attractive to most buyers.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hmmm, never noticed that before but then i never shopped for a widescreen computer monitor. why are the LCD monitors 16x10 but the LCD TVs are 16x9?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Contrast Ratio: 500:1" -- a computer panel

"Signal Input: D-Sub, Analog" -- That would be VGA no? Or what?

Just another cheap computer monitor. No TV here.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    "Contrast Ratio: 500:1" -- a computer panel

"Signal Input: D-Sub, Analog" -- That would be VGA no? Or what?

Just another cheap computer monitor. No TV here.
    That would definitely be VGA. Why anyone would buy an analog panel is beyond me. I won't sell'em that's for sure.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    V7 Monitors is the name used by Ingram Micro (large technology distributor) on monitors they have manufactured for cheap sale by Ingram. They wanted to get in on the parts market more and this was their start.

They are decent for what they are. No digitial input though, only analog VGA.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess I am behind the times but I've only ever had a CRT monitor.

So ummm since when is a VGA output on a video card "bad".

What is better?

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    I know, right? Apparently DVI is the only acceptable connection these days.
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Conquest10
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    I know, right? Apparently DVI is the only acceptable connection these days.
    I'm kind of missing the idea, I guess. I'm perfectly fine with my standard VGA output into my analog flat panel. Looks like video to me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nothing wrong with VGA for general computer work. But 1440x900 is a non-standard size. Nearest are

WXGA 1366x768
    SXGA 1280x1024
    UXGA 1600x1200

The display card would need to support 1440x900. Or WXGA would need to be interpolated. Plus you may find it difficult to find games that support custom resolutions.

http://grafi.ii.pw.edu.pl/gbm/matrox/ramdac.html
    http://www.gen-x-pc.com/lcd3.htm

There will come a time when display cards loose the RAMDAC analog circuitry and use only DVI-D or HDMI.
    Quote Quote