VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am in the process of capturing our old 8mm films with my Panasonic NV GS250 camcorder, using a black box and an old projector. The quality is relatively good, but with some flicker. I plan to capture and edit it with the Panasonic Motion DV Studio programme which I normally use and would then like to use some filters from Virtual Dub, before encoding (using TMPGEnc) and then authoring the DVDs.
    My questions:
    1. The size (dimensions) of the clips are too big for the preview windows. How do I make them smaller? I use PAL
    2. I need help with the filters. I would like to try and sharpen the picture. In Video, do I go to Video, Filters, Sharpen and then to a percentage, say like 10 to 20%, is this a trial and error thing? What do people normally use?
    3. How do I warmify the colors?
    4. I have read somewhere that one can use the Anti flicker filter on Virtual Dub, but I cant find it
    5. The last and most important- I was experimenting with a 300MB clip, adding a sharpen filter, and the size of the clip increased to 2GB!

Can anyone please help?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You should be able to adjust the source and preview windows in VirtualDub by dragging the corners of the windows.
    The size of the clip increased because you didn't select the compression settings. I believe VirtualDub by default selects Uncompressed RGB. Go to Video -> Compression and select the DV Codec. This should give you a similar video/audio file size.
    The flickering can be fixed by adjusting the shutter speed in the camera menu before recording (telecine). Many of the consumer panasonic cameras have decent manual controls. For PAL you would need to adjust the shutter speed to 1/50.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A few notes: What codec you use, Panasonic or others, for the transfer part doesn't matter. It will use the format output by the camera. The DV codec is for viewing and encoding.

If you need filters, go here: http://neuron2.net/ Many filters available.

My favorite DV filters are: Red/Blue/Green adjustment filter for fine tuning the color balance and White Balance Filter by Jim Leonard. The White Balance has several filters in one package.

There are a lot of noise filters available also. No real recommendations as they all work differently and each can be used in different situations.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am not sure exactly what the codec means. I attach the camcorder to the computer with the firewire cable, open the Panasonic Motion Studio, it then says Input, I choose DV device input and then capture. I then continue with the editing before saving as an AVI file, before encoding. Where does the codec fits in?

I will look at the filters, thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    With DV, the camera or other source has the DV codec hardwired in. You just transfer to your hard drive what it sends. The DV codec on the computer is for viewing and re-encoding to DV format. You don't have any control over what the camera or DV device sends to the computer. It's similar to a transfer between hard drives, though there is no error checking as with a hard drive transfer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks
    I have sorted out the codec issue and I am now experimenting with the deflickering/sharpening filters. Any ideas or hints?
    Quote Quote