VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I went to Sams Club, owned by Wal-Mart, and spotted the new Magnavox MSR90D6 DVD recorder for only $96.88. It records to four formats (DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, and DVD+RW). It is manufactured by Funai, maker of Emerson, Sylvania, and Symphonic products. It records to stereo. For that price, it seems to be a better value than the Cyberhome, ILO, and Lite-On. Anybody saw or tried it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently got a Sylvania DVD/VCR unit that I really like, it is surprisingly fully featured, including a stereo tuner, plays, & records well, and is very user friendly, made by Funai. I only wish it had 3hr record, or flexible recording, & recording to all formats, like DVD+R, RW. Also my biggest complaint is it's silver, not black, and does not match all of the components in my entertainment center. If the Magnavox unit is similar, I'd highly recommend it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Magnavox has a lot of problems, it's pretty much the same as Philips machines. It got the nickname "Maggotbox" very deservedly.

So what do I think? Proceed with caution, and don't have any expectations. Maybe even be prepared to return it before you open the box and test it out.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. The new Funai DVD recorders now have 3 hour recording mode. It also adds natural/emphasized surround sound and VCD playback. The only feature dropped for this year is the 8 and 10 hour recording mode and cooling fan.

I just bought one today. It seems to work pretty well except that the response time to press a key on the remote or at the front of the unit is really slow.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Magnavox has a lot of problems, it's pretty much the same as Philips machines. It got the nickname "Maggotbox" very deservedly.

So what do I think? Proceed with caution, and don't have any expectations. Maybe even be prepared to return it before you open the box and test it out.
    The Philips-made Magnavox ones seem to have lots of problems but the Funai-made Magnavox ones seem to be okay with not many problems, and it costs less.
    Quote Quote  
  6. "Emerson, Sylvania, and Symphonic products"

As if I would be caught buying one of those manf's......

Don't consider price only. If you want cheap, online at phillips outlet you can often get a dvd recorder for $83 free shipping.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just bought this unit last week from Sams.. So far so good. Its about all you can expect from a 98$ recorder. I have a higher end recorder in my front room and am just using this one to burn dvds from my tivo. I have already had 3 successfull burns using TDK dvd+r. No compatibility issues with my sony or other magnavox. I plan on keeping in this unit. I dont think you can beat the price or compatibilty. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  8. The trend is these Chinese made electronics are getting better and better, just like the japan electronics industry from post WW2. Both of them beat those offshore Europe/US factory products, because these offshoe plants have to due with coporote deadweight, and those second class parts, their parent companies produce.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, in the 65+ years since WW2 they've made some advances. Can we really use that point on the timeline to compare?
    Quote Quote