VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Can't be. Out of convergence normally induces blue or red edges.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by SingSing
    Can't be. Out of convergence normally induces blue or red edges.
    Isn't that more or less what she said?

Originally Posted by BroomQueen
    you can see the differet colors instead of a smooth merge.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If she only saw red or blue edges instead of many colors then you are spot on.

LARGE SCREEN PROJECTION TV ALWAYS NEED TO ADJUSTS ITS CONVERGENCE AFTER MOVING.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is an example of my monitor loosing convergence in the corners.

Time to tweak it up.

Quote Quote  
  5. This will not meet THX black level requirement. Doh...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    For $1000 the choices are a smallish LCD 27-32" or a 32-34" direct view widescreen CRT
    Yes, quite true but an infinately better picture than the route she has chosen. You cannot demand everything, cheap price, massive picture, and perfect quality. The equasion doesn't add up. You have to sacrifice something here. Pay more or settle for a smaller lcd.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SingSing
    This will not meet THX black level requirement. Doh...
    That is a photo of the screen.

What don't you like about my black level? :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cyflyer
    Originally Posted by edDV
    For $1000 the choices are a smallish LCD 27-32" or a 32-34" direct view widescreen CRT
    Yes, quite true but an infinately better picture than the route she has chosen. You cannot demand everything, cheap price, massive picture, and perfect quality. The equasion doesn't add up. You have to sacrifice something here. Pay more or settle for a smaller lcd.
    I went the direct view CRT route. LCD hurts my eyes (motion defects, poor blacks).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    true -- still can't beat a good HD CRT
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Ok, here's the actual TV I baught with all the specs. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7196465&type=product&productCategoryId=c...=1112808997179 It's not really a convergence problem, when I said about the colors was like the shades of colors. Say you have a really nice picture of a blue sky at twilight on jpg or gif. Well you know what it would look like if you converted it to .bmp. Thats what some of the colors look like on my tv, and I see lots of little squars everywhere on dvd and analog and hdtv. I just got a best buy guy coming out tomorrow to fix this crap. Read the description on this tv I got, it's all like saying it has this and that for "razor sharp pictures", right .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes -- that should help, best buy has the BEST techs in the industry
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Well the best buy tech said there's nothing to do about it, it's just the way it's gonna look. I changed some settings that the cable guy didn't even know about, it looks a little better now. it robably is because it's so big and im only like 10 feet from it, oh well, thanks everyone for your help
    Quote Quote  
  13. With a 50+ inch TV, 7 feet is the normal distant that you get to see a very clear picture.
    I assume you look at the same TV before at Bestbuy with their in-store broadcast or DVD playback, and did not see all these "issue" you have now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does a HDTV show look OK or not? Check on DiscoveryHD or InHD if you have that on your cable. Networks do HD mostly at night.

Cable SD blown up to 50" at 7ft will never look right.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    the color issue the poster is referring to is referring to an image with a low color depth. Instead of a smooth gradient between shades you get the harsh "banding" you would see perhaps if you changed a 16-bit image to 256 colors...
    Quote Quote  
  16. She also tried DVD player, which has at least 24bits of color depth.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Evaluate and consider this LCD set as an alternative. For the money it is a good deal but may not be ideal for SD cable. You now know what to look for.

This 32" set has a 1366x768 (~720p) LCD screen which is fairly standard but also comes with Faroudja's DCDi processing which is rare for a TV at this price point. The rap in this set is poor external construction quality but it is made from good internal parts.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6998396&type=product&id=1110265591303

A good CRT brand at that price point is SONY
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SingSing
    ...I assume you look at the same TV before at Bestbuy with their in-store broadcast or DVD playback, and did not see all these "issue" you have now.
    While I readily admit I don't know much about HDTV sets. This is exactly what I was thinking about. Did you look at it in the store? If it looked better something is wrong!!!

Do not - repeat do not...

believe any Best Buy tech. Who pays them? Not you.... that's for sure.

1. Go back to the store.
    2. Look at the display TV.
    3. If it's better - then set up a return of the TV. It''s defective. If they want to come out and look - fine - as long as it does not void your ability for refund because it takes too long. Get that in writing from a manager! No exchange with the same model unless they guarantee full refund if not happy. Do not be passive about this. Be firm.
    4. Hopefully you are in the return period.
    5. If not - a very difficult time. Hopefully paid with a real credit card. Can to submit a charge back due to defective merchandise and no support from retailer? Some cards also have warranty coverage.
    6. As a last resort call the manufacter and claim defect under warranty. I would imagine since it's this new they would replace it or fix it.
    7. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the TV is new, complain to the store manager. Challenge your Visa or Master Charge payment (800 number on your card). Document the problem. This puts the ball in their court and you may get a total refund.

If the problem is long lasting, call the Best Buy Regional Sales Manager and say that the tech can't make you happy with your purchase and you want an exchange. If that doesn't work post his name and phone number here.

The best lever is challenging the credit card payment. The store manager and regional manager are judged by their superiors on solving these issues. A call to the regional guy usually causes the local manger to act.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I may try returning it, although I was watching discoveryHD today on the galapagos and it looked pretty good. I'm gonna go back to best buy and check out the tv they have on display there (yes I checked it out about 3 times before I decided to buy it) and request a remote and write down all the settings they have then go home and do my tv the exact way. I think it's the cable company not the tv, the HDTV channels look pretty good and my dvd player looks pretty good too (after i tweaked some settings the best buy tech AND time warner didn't even look at!) I'm in the return period for another 2 1/2 weeks.
    Quote Quote  
  21. So, what do you think about your "personel geek squad" on videohelp.com ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I hate to say it but although RCA is an old name, their TVs strike me as lacking quality. I have a recent CRT based RCA which is acceptable, but inferior to the SANYO (also a recent model) it replaced in every manner. It was cheap and that was my sole goal.

I have noted that prices on HDTVs have blipped up significantly since Christmas. Part of this is probably the FCC mandate that TVs have HD tuners (useless for anyone with cable or satellite). Before Christmas, Costco was selling AIWA projection TVs for a grand or less, which offered exceptional pictures. (AIWA is SONY's bargain brand and is a strong seller).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The sad history of RCA. It is no more.

RCA went essentially out of business in 1986-87 when GE sold off all the assets keeping only NBC.

The "RCA" trademark was acquired by Thomson SA of France and used to sell far east consumer products primarily to America.

The "RCA Victor" and "RCA Records" trademarks were acquired by Sony and are now owned by a subsidaiary company "Sony BMG Music Entertainment".

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/R/htmlR/radiocorpora/radiocorpora.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_Music_Entertainment
    Quote Quote  
  24. I love having my own personal "geek squad" I really do appreciate everything everyone has said and taught me, and even though my tv isn't that great, if anythign I've learned a huge amount of info from everyone here and I WILL NOT screw up again when buying a tv that's for sure!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    edDV

I am aware of the history of RCA, but frankly believe it is not just a conduit for far eastern product, it is a conduit for low end/low quality far eastern product.

Selling below the house brand in most cases.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by oldandinthe way
    I am aware of the history of RCA, but frankly believe it is not just a conduit for far eastern product, it is a conduit for low end/low quality far eastern product. Selling below the house brand in most cases.
    RCA is under French company : Thomspon CSF. I only had 3 RCA products : 19in TV, 8mm VCR, CD player, and you guess it. None of them last more than 3 years.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldandinthe way
    edDV

I am aware of the history of RCA, but frankly believe it is not just a conduit for far eastern product, it is a conduit for low end/low quality far eastern product.

Selling below the house brand in most cases.

They would say "price leader" with "mass retailer appeal" and a "trusted legacy brand".

The "Westinghouse" brand on that other product is the same issue. Wesinghouse followed RCA to the great appliance store in the sky also in the 80's.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Ave,

I have the Exact Same TV. The D52W23, got it from Best Buy about 2 weeks ago. At $899.00, it's a deal. Of course a $3,000 LCD or Plasma would be better, but i don't have that kind of money.

I love the TV. It's awesome... and it's giving me great results. Without the proper cables and ordinary (composite) hook-up, everything was pixellating and picture was horrible. But with the proper cables & hook-up... it's Crystal Clear! Absolutely no complaints.

Here's what i did, and what i'd recommend you to do.

I got an Acoustic Research Component Cable (6ft) Model # AP091 ($28 at Best Buy... i got mine for $18 on eBay). http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=4118092&type=product&id=1051384700595
    Connect your DVD Player to the TV using this Component Cable. I have a Panasonic SC-HT670 Home Theater System. Don't forget to setup the DVD Player to give 16:9 Widescreen Picture, and also define your TV as "Rear Projection TV" in the DVD Setup, if available. The quality is absolutely perfect. No grains, no pixellation. It's crystal clear.

I got a Dual-Link DVI-D Gold Plated Cable (6ft) from eBay, cost me $14.50
    Connect your HD Cable Box to the TV using this DVI Cable, and run a regular Audio Cable to connect audio. Setup your Cable Box to 1080i HDTV. (You'll have to fiddle around with the HDTV Setup to see what looks best to you). Also, play around a little with the Sharpness and some other Advanced Picture settings in your TV's setup to get the best picture. I had to do the same. The results are amazing. No pixellation. Very clear picture.

When i got my TV, i had the exact same results as you did. But i knew beforehand that i had to get the right Cables and use the correct Inputs to bring better picture quality.

There's nothing wrong with the TV. Of course if you have more money, you can get better... but there's nothing wrong with it.

Mickey
    I don't suffer from Chronic Insanity & Psychosomatic Multiple Personality Disorder!
    I enjoy every moment of it!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mickey79
    Ave,

I got an Acoustic Research Component Cable (6ft) Model # AP091 ($28 at Best Buy... i got mine for $18 on eBay). http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=4118092&type=product&id=1051384700595
    Connect your DVD Player to the TV using this Component Cable. I have a Panasonic SC-HT670 Home Theater System. Don't forget to setup the DVD Player to give 16:9 Widescreen Picture, and also define your TV as "Rear Projection TV" in the DVD Setup, if available. The quality is absolutely perfect. No grains, no pixellation. It's crystal clear.

I got a Dual-Link DVI-D Gold Plated Cable (6ft) from eBay, cost me $14.50
    Connect your HD Cable Box to the TV using this DVI Cable, and run a regular Audio Cable to connect audio. Setup your Cable Box to 1080i HDTV. (You'll have to fiddle around with the HDTV Setup to see what looks best to you). Also, play around a little with the Sharpness and some other Advanced Picture settings in your TV's setup to get the best picture. I had to do the same. The results are amazing. No pixellation. Very clear picture.

Agree but FWIW, single Link DVI is all that is needed. HDTV currrently does not use the dual link pins.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by edDV
    Agree but FWIW, single Link DVI is all that is needed. HDTV currrently does not use the dual link pins.
    Ave,

Wisely stated! Absolutely no denying that.
    BTW, what is FWIW ?

Mickey
    I don't suffer from Chronic Insanity & Psychosomatic Multiple Personality Disorder!
    I enjoy every moment of it!
    Quote Quote