VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Any thoughts on these budget priced P4 dual core cpus...??? The price seems to be right...

http://www.mysterybyte.com/index.htm?content=parts.htm&side=sidepart.htm
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    A good chip(s) but as with all budget intels both cores are non-hyperthreaded. I do not recommend you plan to overclock unless you buy a better heatsink/fan combo. The stock cooling system is insufficient. Depending on the board you pair with this one you can overclock well into the 3Ghz range but even at it's initial 2.66 you will notice higher than normal temperature readings on this CPU. Personally I'd opt for AMD because even with stock cooling you can overclock without worries and also AMD is hyperthreaded plus 1g FSB.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by ROF
    AMD is hyperthreaded plus 1g FSB.
    You mean HyperTransport, not HyperThreaded.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I love AMD... the last Intel I had was a P166.... However I can't buy a dual core AMD for the same money....
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kenmo
    I love AMD... the last Intel I had was a P166.... However I can't buy a dual core AMD for the same money....
    True but which software do you own that will take advantage of the dual cores? All software will take advantage of a faster FSB and a hypertransport(thanks Jagabo) or hyperthreaded socket/cpu. It's a good processor, but don't expect the same performance you'll get from a single core hypertransport AMD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'll use it in my Windows file/print server which is currently a Duron 750 or in my video computer which is an Athlon XP 1800...

If I use it in my video pc, then the Duron 750 will inherit the Athlon 1800...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    A good choice for your purposes. Which board are you considering pairing it with?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have this in mind... but still shopping....

http://www.mysterybyte.com/index.htm?content=parts.htm&side=sidepart.htm

Any recommendations...???

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    No motherboard listed on that link.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Are you looking for these ?

Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SingSing
    Are you looking for these ?

That's a dual core, but not in the 2.6Ghz, miniscule 533Ghz FSB, non-hyperthreaded line. The chip being discussed is a smithfield not the cosmic presler.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by SingSing

OOPs....sorry...

Asus P5GV-MX...

http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=237&model=793&modelmenu=1

Would also purchase 2 gb DDR 400 memory and use onboard video... Maybe upgrade to a PCI-E video card at a later date...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by ROF

That's a dual core, but not in the 2.6Ghz, miniscule 533Ghz FSB, non-hyperthreaded line. The chip being discussed is a smithfield not the cosmic presler.
    Out of my budget sight... I would prefer an AMD X2 3800 or X2 4200 but again out of price range...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't enable HT on my system, it's really only useful if you're using it for a lot of office and internet applications and switching between them a lot.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by rallynavvie
    I don't enable HT on my system, it's really only useful if you're using it for a lot of office and internet applications and switching between them a lot.
    And what do you gain or loose by not enabling them...???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What about something like this, a little more budget minded
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103529
    Quote Quote  
  17. Does dual_core_CPU run your program faster ?

My experience is not really, unless your program can take advantage of it. Most of the programs that can take advantage of mutiple CPUs are the SUN/Unix type. Few of them are being around for a while.

I had a dual CPU SUN, and now shared a 4-CPU SUN, and even the programs use the multiple CPUs effectively, processing started to stall if graphics or I/O is involved,

I think Intel know CPU clock rate can't go any higher, due to the heat generated by the CPU, and hope dual core can keep them in the competition.

Note : I disable the 'smart' of the cpu fan in my home brew PC to prevent the intel processor from overheating.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM

OOPs....sorry...

Asus P5GV-MX...

http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=237&model=793&modelmenu=1

Would also purchase 2 gb DDR 400 memory and use onboard video... Maybe upgrade to a PCI-E video card at a later date...
    I'd recommend against this board for two reasons. The first being you can't use Pentium Dual cores in it and the second being the limitation of x4 on the PCI-E slot(yuck!). There are also considerations that you only have SATA I support, and DDR instead of DDR2 slots.

For the same price I might recommend the ASUS P5LD2-VM. It has 4 SATA II slots, 4 DDR2 Slot, 1 PCI-Ex16 Slot(Truex16), 2 PCI Slots, Gigabit LAN(You did say Server didn't you?) plus video onboard. You will maintain your MicroATX style but get a much better board with more server support.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Does dual_core_CPU run your program faster ?
    Today, NO!

But who buys a computer without thinking about tomorrow besides Dell owners.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by SingSing
    I had a dual CPU SUN, and now shared a 4-CPU SUN, and even the programs use the multiple CPUs effectively, processing started to stall if graphics or I/O is involved.
    Okay I have to eat my words now. I just run the same program on a dual-P4 PC vs the 4cpu SUN. The SUN is about 10 times faster. I overlooked that the SUN ( SUN said it is 3.5 times faster than any PC ) comes with 16GB of RAM per CPU. So there are hardly any disk I/O.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by ROF
    Today, NO!

But who buys a computer without thinking about tomorrow besides Dell owners. :)
    Most video encoders are already multithreaded. TMPGEnc for example runs nearly twice as fast when using both cores of my Athlon 64 X2 3800+. Cinemacraft Encoder (when I used the 30 day trial) was significantly faster with both cores. Even with single threaded software I can often run two instances of the program to nearly double my throughput (VirtualDub with Xvid for example).

Even if the 2.66 GHz Pentium D is only 50 percent faster when running both cores that's equivalent to a 4 GHz Pentium 4 which, doesn't exist, would run much hotter, and, cost several times as much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROF
    Today, NO!

But who buys a computer without thinking about tomorrow besides Dell owners.
    Who buys a Dell or Gateway expecting it to work tomorrow? Heck, even a Compaq or HP. Build your own damn PC and get your money's worth while having a computer that may have decent upgradable abilities.

It sounds like the main system described is using these for the right purposes. Even intense gaming would be fine. As for cooling, anyone care to adventure using liquid cooled system to maintain temp. It'd probably be a heck of a lot more stable, especially if you went the way of AMD. My knowledge of AMD is very limited, but from what I hear, you'll really be able to get a lot out of a system liquid cooled, dual core, & overclocked.

Just one thing, if you're using it to play StarWars Battlefront II or anything similar, invite me over, PLEASE!!!! I've gotta see this thing in action.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by kenmo
    I love AMD... the last Intel I had was a P166.... However I can't buy a dual core AMD for the same money....
    me too.
    I just got it last week and it's a total dissapointment......better wait to get an AMD dual core. it's probably about 15-20% faster than my 1.8G athlon xp.

I used to hate Intel, now I'll never buy another one.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I think your problem got sorted in the other thread.

Software has be optimised for two cores to take any advantage of it. There's nothing wrong with the dual core P4s. They are excellent CPUs and vastly more powerful than an Athlon XP.

I personally would have bought a dual core Athlon64 myself though.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by Doramius
    Heck, even a Compaq or HP. Build your own damn PC and get your money's worth while having a computer that may have decent upgradable abilities.
    I must said my wife's Compaq workout very well. It has all the convience USB, firewire connections and memory slots at the front. It was really a bargain when I bought it as clearnce from staples.

Sigh, I bought most of the stuff from staples. I don't think it is too healthy. I want to be a HOME DEPOT guy, really. I want DRY WALLS.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rallynavvie
    And what do you gain or loose by not enabling them...???
    Well any application which is not SMP-aware will then utilize the entire processor, not just a scaled portion of it with HT enabled. And since I have two CPUs I have another chip to run more processes on. If I wanted to go crazy I could even set the processor affinity for every process. HT is a little more useful in the settings I stated before on a single processor system, however since dual-core chips resemble an SMP platform more than just an HT-enabled single-CPU system I'd have to recommend just leaving HT off. Anything that is SMP-aware will use both cores anyway.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  27. Just thought of something.... I'll neeed a 24 pin ATX powersupply as my powersupply is 20 pin...

What is the advantage of DDR ram over DDR2...???
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by kenmo
    Just thought of something.... I'll neeed a 24 pin ATX powersupply as my powersupply is 20 pin...
    Old ATX supply only has 24 pin connector, and good for PIII, and older processor.

Newer ATX supply has 20 pins and a 12 volts connector, the 20 pin go to pin 1 side of the 24 pin connector, and the 12 volt is for the processor, that support P4 and newer processor.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by kenmo
    What is the advantage of DDR ram over DDR2...???
    DDR works in motherboards designed for DDR, DDR2 in motherboards designed for DDR2. They are not interchangeable. If you're buying a Pentium D you need a motherboard that supports the proccessor. Which means you will be buying DDR2 memory. And almost certainly a PCI Express video card.
    Quote Quote