VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But.. i bought an ACEDVio a couple years back for some restoration work and just got round to setting the stuff up. I'm realising now that from a really pure reference the DV already shows up a good bit of noise in detail.. perhaps it would be better recording straight to mpeg on a standalone? But i'm out of date with these now.. what's recording quality like?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You'll never get a definitive answer to your questions on DV vs. mpeg2 recording, but as one who has just switched from an ATI AIW (as mpeg2 cap card) to a Toshiba DVD recorder, I can tell you that the quality IS better...but not by leaps and bounds. As for the quality vs. that obtained from DV encoded to mpeg2....well, there are many people who claim that the DV method is actually the best. So my answer to your question is "it depends who you ask".

But I think it's not all about quality, which is rather subjective. It's also about ease-of-use. For me, the DVD-recorder makes the whole process of converting vhs to dvd VERY easy and even more importantly, fast. With DV, you spend hours encoding your DV caps. This doesn't even include the authoring process (editing and so forth).

Check out the DVD Recorder forum on this site for more info.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi mate, thanks for reply. I've taken most of these issues up now on the capture section but basically i'm not happy with the results i'm getting with dv capping and am looking at a hardware mpeg2 solution or huffyuv.. i don't mind all the encoding shenanigans as i like to edit/author anyway
    Quote Quote