VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    When looking at DLP or LCD projectors what should I be looking @ for specs?
    I saw an Infocus HD Projector for about $1100USD with electric screen.

Specs:
    HD LCD Projector
    12000:1 contrast
    1100:1 Lumens
    720P up to 1080i (have no idea what this means at all)

What are your thoughts on DLP or LCD. I myself like the DLP for HD tvs. I have seen some DLP projectors working, and must say the look nice. But haven't seen for my own eyes any LCD projectors at work.....
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IMO, the DLP are better.
    Make sure you get a colour wheel that is faster than 2x, if you are going the DLP route. Otherwise....you may run into the "rainbow effect".

I would also go with at least XGA resolution...or better.
    www.avsforum.com has excellent info on projectors.
    Which InFocus model were you thinking?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dever dawgs
    720P up to 1080i (have no idea what this means at all)
    Ok time to do a little reading.

1280x720 progressive is the broadcast specs for ABC and FOX and 1920x1080 INTERLACE is the specs for NBC, CBS and the UPN and WB (soon to be the CW).

Check out www.cnet.com for some more hdtv lingo. Very good basics there.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    These guys have some good tutorials also: http://www.projectorpeople.com/tutorials/default.asp

If you like the big screen, a video projector is nice. Some people will say projector bulbs are expensive, but mine had 2000 hours on it before I replaced it. It's not DLP, but my next one will be. Get a good quality screen and check your projection distance vs the screen size. And of course get a good surround sound system.
    Quote Quote  
  5. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I currently was looking at these

InFocus X2 $750+
    The X2 features a 4:3 format DLP chip in 800x600 resolution, and a four-segment, 2x speed color wheel. ANSI lumen output is rated
    at 1600 at full power and 1100 in low lamp (and lower fan noise) mode. Contrast is rated at 2000:1.
    Lens and throw distance. Manual zoom and focus with a 1.2x zoom range. A 100" diagonal 4:3 image is obtained in the range of about 12.6 to 15 feet.
    Lamp. 200W SHP with up to 3000-hour lamp life in low power mode.
    Compatibility. DVI, HDTV 1080i, 720p, 480p, and computer resolutions up to XGA (1024x768). NTSC, PAL, SECAM.
    Connection panel. Located on the rear of the unit. Inputs include one M1-DA port that takes computer RGB, DVI, HDTV and component 480p; one S-video port; one composite video jack. In addition there is one set of stereo

I also, was reading about the ones Infocus comaprison they are all/have
    16:9
    480p, 720p, 1081i

Which input would be best DVI or HDMI?

Specs wise I would want higher Lumens? Higher Contrast? 720p and 108i?
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would go with a 4x color wheel.
    I've seen some 2x wheels and I could see the "rainbow effect".
    Many other people can attest to this as well. The 2x wheels really aren't that good.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ok, there's a lot of research on this topic to do, but first, I would suggest one of the widescreen formats that do 16x9 native.

there's a few things to know, to project true 1080, there's a HUGE price difference, and only one projector from sony for home theater at about 10,000

for 1280x720, there's a few choices, but right now the best one for color price seems to be the optima hd72 (that's the one I'm about to get) at $1999

also for room placeent, there's the epson 550 at $2500, it's an lcd so it's not as good quality as the hd72, but had much more flexability in placement and room size.

there's a bunch of cheaper 16x9 projectors which are not hd, but are video res, and not hd. these run from $600 to $1100

check out www.projectorcentral.com for great reviews/etc...
    Quote Quote