VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried to burn a 716Mb mpeg using a 730Mb CD-R, i thought it should work, but i failed to play the disc on either PC or DVD player. Is there anything i have to pay special attention to? I use NTI CD maker as the software.
    Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use VCDEasy. I used to burn VCD before I got a DVD burner, and this is the software I used. It will author and burn VCD (assuming your CD burner is compatible with CDRDAO - otherwise create disk image, use daemontools to mount the disk image as a CD, and use NTI CD Maker to copy the mounted image to CD). There are guides for it too - check out the guides on the left side of the page.

CogoswSDS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Congratulations! You are the 1,000th person to ask this basic question. Did you know that FAQ stands for Frequently Asked Questions, it exists to answer such questions, that is why it is recommended that all new members actually read it.

Burn as VCD or SVCD, these formats allow for 800 MB on an 80 minute CD, as no error correction is used.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37
    Congratulations! You are the 1,000th person to ask this basic question. Did you know that FAQ stands for Frequently Asked Questions, it exists to answer such questions, that is why it is recommended that all new members actually read it.
    I think I was probably about the 400th or 500th to ask the question in 2002 ... and was given the same answer. It could be that people new to video technology are a bit overwhelmed by this site ... hoping some helpful member will simply give them a link.
    Burn as VCD or SVCD, these formats allow for 800 MB on an 80 minute CD, as no error correction is used.
    Hmm ... my CDs have always said 700 MB. :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by magicnic22
    I tried to burn a 716Mb mpeg using a 730Mb CD-R, i thought it should work, but i failed to play the disc on either PC or DVD player. Is there anything i have to pay special attention to? I use NTI CD maker as the software.
    Thanks in advance
    Follow the advice CogoSWSDS gave you ... unless you have Nero. Nero will recognize a VCD compatible MPEG file and convert it into a somewhat smaller file (AVSEQ01.DAT) and create the appropriate required directories (and other required files) needed to recognize it as a VCD during the burn process.

BTW, and (grin) don't try this at home, hehe ... but for some odd reason, my DVD player will play "raw" MPEG1 files without the need to convert them to VCD. I doubt if most players are that friendly. MPEG1 files must generally be converted to the specific VCD format (with certain files and directories expected to be there on the CD) in order for a player to read it as a VCD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by AlecWest
    Nero will recognize a VCD compatible MPEG file and convert it into a somewhat smaller file (AVSEQ01.DAT) and create the appropriate required directories (and other required files) needed to recognize it as a VCD during the burn process.
    Nero *should* only convert when you give it a non VCD-compliant MPEG, and you can stop it reencoding by unticking the "create standard compliant " checkbox. If you've prepared the MPEG-1 to VCD specs, the AVSEQ01.DAT file should in fact be slightly bigger than the original MPEG file due to additional headers and whatnot being added during authoring.

MPEG1 files must generally be converted to the specific VCD format (with certain files and directories expected to be there on the CD) in order for a player to read it as a VCD.
    Again, the MPEG file must be VCD-compliant and then authored as VCD for it to be read as a VCD.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Congratulations! You are the 1,000th person to ask this basic question. Did you know that FAQ stands for Frequently Asked Questions, it exists to answer such questions, that is why it is recommended that all new members actually read it.

And Congratulations to you ... Nelson37 ... you are the 1,001 person to remind someone to read the guides.

A lot of the quides are old ... and there are a lot of different methods.

Did you notice your the only one who bugged him to read the quides ... yeah ... yeah ... you did post some advice but the other ones put out more information.
    Quote Quote  
  8. If the individual does not know that piece of information, then it is extremely likely that there are literally Dozens of other items he or she needs to know. Do you know what they are? No, didn't think so.

Now, they will either get frustrated and quit, or keep repeating other questions in yet more posts, and getting single answers to individual questions. When what they really need are some comprehensive explanations of what they need to know.

If you enjoy constantly re-typing the same answers over and over, and literally holding someone's hand step-by-step, have at it. The result of this is that the Newbie Gets Shortchanged. Will you include the screenshots, example files, lists of programs needed, and examples posted in the Guides and Faq? Will your answer be refined and improved over a period of months or years? Is it not only likely but virtually guaranteed that a series of off-the-cuff answers will at some point contain innaccurate or less-than-optimum information?

It is just like real life. They need to do the work. There is no short or easy way. Encouraging the belief that they do NOT need to do the work is not helping.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lacywest
    And Congratulations to you ... Nelson37 ... you are the 1,001 person to remind someone to read the guides.

A lot of the quides are old ... and there are a lot of different methods.

Did you notice your the only one who bugged him to read the quides ... yeah ... yeah ... you did post some advice but the other ones put out more information.
    And Congratulations to you ... lacywest ... you are the only person in this thread to not help the OP at all.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by AlecWest
    I think I was probably about the 400th or 500th to ask the question in 2002 ... and was given the same answer. It could be that people new to video technology are a bit overwhelmed by this site ... hoping some helpful member will simply give them a link.
    Hmm ... my CDs have always said 700 MB. :P
    Nelson37 is completely correct AlecWest.

Data capacity of CDs: https://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/135642.php

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  11. A perfect illustration of my point. The FAQ contains accurate information on this and other issues, as do the guides, to a somewhat lesser extent.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And Congratulations to you ... lacywest ... you are the only person in this thread to not help the OP at all.
    Nope ... I didn't ... not my area of interest ... a few years ago it was ... back when I was using DVD2SVCD ... I don't mess with VCDs or SVCDs anymore.

But I do get pissed off when a person(s) takes the time to ... bug a person to read the guides.

but oh well ... I doubt very much anything will change ... other than that ... did we all have a nice weekend ??

Got to go ... my wife has dinner ready and it is time to eat ... yum ... yum
    Quote Quote  
  13. @ Lacywest:

Telling someone to read a guide is still rather more helpful to the original poster than your two posts on this thread. Please keep on topic and if you have nothing of substance to add then please refrain from posting at all.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vitualis
    @ Lacywest:

Telling someone to read a guide is still rather more helpful to the original poster than your two posts on this thread. Please keep on topic and if you have nothing of substance to add then please refrain from posting at all.

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    Nero will recognize a VCD compatible MPEG file and convert it into a somewhat smaller file (AVSEQ01.DAT) and create the appropriate required directories (and other required files) needed to recognize it as a VCD during the burn process.
    If you've prepared the MPEG-1 to VCD specs, the AVSEQ01.DAT file should in fact be slightly bigger than the original MPEG file due to additional headers and whatnot being added during authoring.
    Not according to Nero. I just took a 10-minute excerpt from a History Channel special and encoded it as VCD-compliant MPEG1 with TMPGEnc Plus. In the capture below, you'll notice that the AVSEQ01.DAT file is smaller, not larger, than the MPEG1 file it came from:

Originally Posted by vitualis
    Nelson37 is completely correct AlecWest.
    True ... but that wasn't the point of my post (grin). Notice that, at the very end of my first paragraph to Nelson37, the word "link" is an actual "link." Click on it and see what you get. The point I was trying to make is that instructions like "Just read the FAQ" don't cut it. Which FAQ? There are a number of them out there. Both my link and yours are VCD FAQs. I put in the "700mb" (followed by the funny face) to remind him that a beginner will look at a CD and see "700mb" (or 735mb) printed right on it ... and that, to a beginner, it would appear as a statement of FACT about the holding capacity of a CD.

Bottom line? I just thought he should lighten up on the beginner.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where was all this help whenever I first asked: "How do I create VCD compliant video?" I got the same answer the original poster got... "Read the guides". I guess we spoon feed now.

Either way... VCDEasy is your best bet. Last time I used it, they had implemented great menu features and made it pretty much an all in one piece of software (minus the encoder). Check it out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smearbrick1
    Where was all this help whenever I first asked: "How do I create VCD compliant video?" I got the same answer the original poster got... "Read the guides". I guess we spoon feed now.
    Well, "read the guides" would be an excellent suggestion IF there was only one guide to a particular topic, not 4 or 6 or 10 on different pages. It would be nice if links to all like-minded guides could be put in one place. On VCDs for example, Vitualis posted a link to a good one. So did I. And I know there are more out there because, God knows, I hunted until I found them all. But like I said in my first post:
    It could be that people new to video technology are a bit overwhelmed by this site ...
    Originally Posted by smearbrick1
    Either way... VCDEasy is your best bet. Last time I used it, they had implemented great menu features and made it pretty much an all in one piece of software (minus the encoder). Check it out.
    I was going to try VCDEasy myself but lazied out (grin). I'm so used to Nero for burning VCDs ... the few I burn anymore. I use DVDdecrypter to burn DVDs via ISOburn. But when I got my new combo burner, my old Nero ceased to function. It was set up to ONLY work on the burner it was bundled with. So (sigh), I bit the bullet and went to a surplus software store (older stuff) and bought v6.6.0.12 ... which is now up and flying. But, I'll only use it to burn audio CDs, VCDs, SVCDs and "data."

Anyhoo, I just hope that beginners don't get the wrong idea about Videohelp.com and begin thinking of it as Videogauntlet.com, hehehe.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not according to Nero.
    ... because Nero is re-encoding. It does that. Unless of course you turn off the "create standard compliant disc" or whatever the tickbox is.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Agreed.

If the software is only remultiplexing, the file will be slightly "bigger", not that it matters all that much if you prepared the original file correctly (i.e., it was multiplexed correctly in the first place). If there is a significant difference in the size of the file, there are probably problems with padding.

In addition, you should not pay too much attention to the "size" of the DAT file as reported on the filesystem. The filesystem is only pointers to the actual data in the form2 sectors as it is structured on a VCD. With how VCDs are structured, it is not bit accurate.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    Quote Quote  
  20. OK, let's get this correct. I did NOT tell the noob to read a guide, I ASKED if they had read THE faq, that would be the VCDHELP FAQ, that would be the ONE FAQ that ALL new members are requested, if not required, to read, and which BTW, would have answered the question for them as well as the next dozen or so they will ask.

I did not suggest ONE program, because there are dozens of them, I did not get into re-encoding non-compliant files because then I would have to explain what "compliant" means, and then would have to explain bitrates, resolutions, MPG1 vs MPG2, audio sampling rates, encoding methods, "X" versus standard, and a whole slew of things which are already very well explained in a series of Superb Statements in the FAQ.

The noob needs Access to these Superb Statements, everyone needs more Access to these Superb Statements, which are regularly renewed and presented in order, we could call this the Dynamically Updated Master Breakdown for Access to Superb Statements.

A quick, simple answer is NOT, IMO, what they need. They need a full and complete explanation of a whole range of subjects. There is no need to do a half-ass job of re-inventing the wheel, it's already been done. Refined, perfected, added to by dozens if not hundreds, with pictures, screen shots, examples, etc. Saying "use VCDEASY" is like telling a rookie race car driver to "go faster".

And people are saying that was harsh? WTF, what planet are you on? I gave them the correct answer, unless I missed it I was the ONLY one to give the correct answer, I credit them with having the brain power to actually look further and learn what they need, instead of just saying "here, idiot, use this software." I did not confuse them with innaccurate information, I answered the question and suggested a simple document which they are supposed to already have read and obviously need to.

You want to see HARSH, keep it up and I will teach you the true meaning of the word.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Calm down people. He's just trying to make a VCD...

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi magicnic22, how did you go with your VCD ?

In the posts above, amongst all of the excitement, there are a number of suggestions that you use VCDEasy. If you decide to use VCDEASY, you could initially start with the freeware version 1.5.2 (You won't find it on the VCDEasy site) and later pay for the later version to get the additional features.
    Have a nice Day
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for causing some kind of a row here... but i've skimming through the methods, and i think the easiest way is to lower the bitrate til the file becomes ~700mb. Thanks to everyone who reply to this topic~
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for causing some kind of a row here... but i've skimming through the methods, and i think the easiest way is to lower the bitrate til the file becomes ~700mb. Thanks to everyone who reply to this topic~
    Hi ... yeah ... we do get carried away here ... just dont talk about downloading movies from the Internet ... illegal ... and other things that could be implied that your stealing from somebody ... talking about doing that can get you banned and worse ... get this site shut down.

Back when I was messing with CDs ... I would use DVD2SVCD ... the mpg encoder I use is the CCE encoder ... works great. But when the price of DVDs dropped in price I moved on to DVDs. If you have Nero installed on your computer ... how about giving it a try ... if anything ... just for the heck of it.
    Quote Quote  
  25. MagicNic - A standard, 80 minute CD, when burned as a VCD or SVCD, will hold 800 MB of data. There is no need to reduce bitrate. All you have to do is burn it correctly. This is very simple.

Here is one way which worked for me hundreds of times, never failed. There are other ways, but this is simple and foolproof. Use VCDImager to create a Bin/Cue file from your MPG. Ignore any non-compliant warnings, though these might indicate an issue you need to deal with. Using virtually any burning program, burn the bin/cue image. This removes the burning prog from dealing with any compliance/re-encoding issues, which most of them do not do very well anyway. Also, VCDImager made the FF and RW work correctly for me.

The basic info about the 800mb size availability is well-covered in the FAQ. You are either doubting or not understanding what I am telling you about the size issue, that is why I suggest getting this info from an authoritative source.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VCDImager ... here is some links for it ...

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/vcdimager.htm

https://www.videohelp.com/~vitualis/

http://www.gnu.org/software/vcdimager

http://freshmeat.net/projects/vcdimager

http://www.freshports.org/multimedia/vcdimager

https://www.videohelp.com/~vitualis/vcdimager_tools_gui.html

http://www.vcdeasy.org

This is how I learned to make VCDs -- Video CDs and SVCDs -- Super Video CDs

I looked at all the guides ... especially the stuff at >> http://www.doom9.org

DVDR Help ... [this website] came later ... Doom9 ... is where I first went to learn.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Even if I make it an image before I burn the disc, the image will be over 700Mb, and that would be overburning I believe, which special procedures have to be taken instead of just burning it normally. Some of the FAQs said that overburning might damage my disc writer, so I don't want to risk it...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Even if I make it an image before I burn the disc, the image will be over 700Mb, and that would be overburning I believe, which special procedures have to be taken instead of just burning it normally. Some of the FAQs said that overburning might damage my disc writer, so I don't want to risk it...
    MagicNic - A standard, 80 minute CD, when burned as a VCD or SVCD, will hold 800 MB of data. There is no need to reduce bitrate. All you have to do is burn it correctly. This is very simple.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When you make a VCD or a SVCD ... and the program creates a Bin file ... that is over 700 megs ... Nero will burn it to a normal CD and it wil be fine ... it does it a different way.

It's not the same as trying to burn over 700 megs of data to a CD-R ... it wont happen.

But a Bin file over 700 megs will fit ... the file system burns in a different manner.
    Quote Quote