VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well it just doesnt get any better. I received the pioneer dvr 310 from newegg. I hooked it up and guess what? NO VIDEO. audio works fine. I checked the s video cable and it works. I called pioneer and talked to the tech. He had me reset the machine but that still did not work. He told me its about 3 years old and probably defective. I couldnt believe I bought a machine that was 3 years old. Whats even more sick is that I paid $50 for shipping. I emailed newegg to see what my options are. I'm really starting to think that someone is putting a voodoo spell on me.
    Quote Quote  
  2. So far my toshiba is working pretty good. I am not having the tuner and video drop out problems that I had with my pioneer. So far the toshiba likes my sony rw's and makes chapters marks. Hopefully, this will last
    Quote Quote  
  3. Of course I spoke too soon. I just attempted to watch my first recorded show on my sony rws and the recording skipped all over the place. I could not even finalize the disc due to the recorder not being able to create a chapter mark or something. I really do not have the patience to try different media, so back to sears the recorders goes. Looks like back to the drawning board again
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought my DR 4 from SEARS too. In fact I bought 2. Both went back. You might want to try the DR 5. Not as good as the DR 4 but at least the auto chapters worked. Not sure bout media RW media though. I only used Maxell -R. I could not finalize a Sony RW so I just stuck with -R. Right now I have a Sony GX330. Havent played with it enough to give my $.02. Good luck and happy hunting.
    Quote Quote  
  5. What happened to the Pioneer 310? Did they take it back?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I've used Verbatim RWs in the D-R4 every day for 6 months. I always do a full erase after using them, I've had no problems with the discs or recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I figured the recorder probably just doesn't like the sony rws, but I also wanted a better flex mode and maybe DL capability. I might try the DR-5 or wait for the new jvc to come out.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by johnmoon
    My dr-4 now does not want to load a DVD when it is turned on
    I had the same happen to me a few weeks ago. I turn it on then after a minute I get "ER7071". It doesn't even sound like its trying to load and seems like no power is going to the drive.

I'm considering doing a "buy, switch, and return" to Sears or somewhere else I can find a d-r4. My 90-day warranty expired months ago and I dont have the patience to deal with Toshiba customer service or mailing the crap to them.

Is there a restocking fee at Sears?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt very much that any retail stores still have the Toshiba D-R4 in stock ... the replacement model (the D-R5) has been out for months now.

I recently downloaded the manual to the D-R5 and it seems that they have dropped the recording modes down to "standard" times like 1 hour, 2 hour, 3 hour, 4 hour etc.

I didn't see anything in the manual about other recording times ala the D-R4 being able to set the bitrate in .2 increments.

Kinda sad.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  10. The D-R4 records 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 hours, it doesn't bitset. It will flex record, but only between 1 and 2 hours, it doesn't work over 2 hours.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by samijubal
    The D-R4 records 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 hours, it doesn't bitset. It will flex record, but only between 1 and 2 hours, it doesn't work over 2 hours.
    I thought you could set the bitrate to pretty much anything you wanted in .2 increments?

Or was that only the RD-XS34 model? [the one with the HDD built-in)???

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  12. It must be, it's not the D-R4.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have just come from my local Superstore (Canada) and the DR-4 is available for $180CAD + tax, so they are still around if you want them.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bridge
    What happened to the Pioneer 310? Did they take it back?
    yes, I have a RMA.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by josetjr
    Originally Posted by johnmoon
    My dr-4 now does not want to load a DVD when it is turned on
    I had the same happen to me a few weeks ago. I turn it on then after a minute I get "ER7071". It doesn't even sound like its trying to load and seems like no power is going to the drive.

I'm considering doing a "buy, switch, and return" to Sears or somewhere else I can find a d-r4. My 90-day warranty expired months ago and I dont have the patience to deal with Toshiba customer service or mailing the crap to them.

Is there a restocking fee at Sears?
    yes, I believe it is 15%.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Toshiba D-R4 Multi-Drive DVD Recorder $96.99 Free Shipping

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=70015759&adid=17662
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA
    Toshiba D-R4 Multi-Drive DVD Recorder $96.99 Free Shipping

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=70015759&adid=17662
    Not completely BRAND NEW as it says it is reconditioned.

Quote Quote  
  18. errrrrrrrr I didn't even see that. thanx
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just to offset the DR4 negativity a bit, I've had mine for almost a year and it has been relatively flawless. I've mostly used Panasonic RAM and Sony RW discs. Surprisingly, the RAM discs seem to crap out fairly quickly - work well for the first few weeks/months and then unit starts popping up various error messages. The RW discs have all worked perfectly so far with no errors (been using a single RW disc for over 3 months of daily recording / erasing!).

PQ is excellent even at low bitrates.

Overall, very pleased with this machine.
    Quote Quote  
  20. The picture quality is truly amazing. I've seen many retail DVDs that don't look near as good as the discs I've recorded on the Toshiba.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well folks I may have good news. After sending my DR-4 off to Toshiba three times and still having problems, they are telling me they will swap my DR-4 for a brand spanking new DR-5
    I am currently waiting on another FedEx label. I will let you know how things turn out with the DR-5
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well so far so good with New DR-5
    Everything works so far.
    I would say the DR-4 had a better GUI Interface and was more forgiving with a poor source.
    The DR-5 works well for what most folks would want to do.
    DVD-RW and RAM work fine. Auto chapter creation works good!
    The GUI is very different to the DR-4, but ok.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Does the D-R5 record in VR mode on DVD-RW discs? Looking at the website, it looks like it does. That's the one thing I wish the D-R4 did.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a D-R4 as well from Sears last week at their model close-out price so it is a bargain. Problem is I am running into the same problems mentioned in this thread.
    The -RW discs (TDK) formatting stops at 39%. -R discs (Memorex and Verbatim) that will not finalize. It is very frustrating because I now have 5 coasters. However, when the unit works, I do like it a lot. I can only hope the Toshiba service people can fix it. I need a recorder that is more forgiving with a poor source (as commented by johnmoon) since I am transferring 20-year old VHS tapes to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, my first post, and I am having the same problems as most here. First off, my chapters are not working whatsoever, have checked and double checked the settings... still no go. Also, will not format or initialize Fuji Brand DVD-RW, stops at 38 or 39% like others. Lastly, was unable to finalize DVD-R disk when trying to enter a title name. Got Error 14, but after removing the title I tried to put in, it finalized...

I am contacting Toshiba, hopefully they will have a fix. Only paid $99 at Zellers on Clearance, so would like to get it working!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is an old post, but I found it when I was trying to find a solution, and I sort of found one.

Just wanted to let you know:

"ER7071" error code probably means there is something jamming the disc drawer or a mechanism in the drawer isn't working right.

I basically fixed it. Toshiba tech support had no idea what the error code was! Called them up and they told me it would be 130.00 to fix and I basically laughed at him and tried to get him to find out what the error code was because SOMEONE must know what it meant! No luck.

So I decided to open up the unit. I saw on the side of the drawer a mechanism with a loop attached that was sitting on the side of what goes through it. So I fussed with it and put it back together. Out of ignorance, I broke a little plastic guide finger that probably helps line up the back of the tray, tried to fix it by replacing plastic finger with a screw, but it was scraping a little. I took the piece out and the recorder seems to work fine without it. If you do work on it, just make sure you line up the lid (has a white track attached) with the white knob finger on the tray when you place it back on.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I purchased a D-R4 2 weeks ago on final sale at Best Buy. My first impressions about the unit is that it does NOTHING it is supposed to right, and I'm talking about the basivs here. Every timed event I recorded ended in ERR014 using TDK-RW media. Yet the same media would format and record OK when used manually. The same thing happened when recording onto a Memorex -R media. I bought Panasonic DVD RAM media as specified in the Manual but the unit will not even recognize it!!!
    I wrote to Toshiba and inquired about a Firmware upgrade. I was asked to phone their Customer Service. I did that. They said someone will be in touch...Some days later, seeing that nobody got in touch, I phoned again. I was told that my first service call was recorded, the request was sent to Toshiba Head Office BUT they have no idea of the outcome. Meaning they cannot tell if a firmware was sent, is to be sent or if anything else is being done about my request. So far I am less than impressed with Toshoba C/S! I got a 10-day extention from Best Buy for a full money back. Hopefuly a firmware upgrade will do the job (if I get it soon), otherwise the unit will be returned and I will be done with Toshiba and their products for good.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure what you mean by recognize it (panasonic dvd ram), but this is my third ram recorder and when I tried discs that I recorded with the other units, I found the only way I could bring up any kind of menu so I could get to different chapters was by pressing the yellow "Easy Navi" (Navigator) button on the remote instead of title or menu button which I thought was weird. Can you get into any function menus to format the ram disc?

As far as your problems with timer recording, I don't know any possible solution, but I know my second machine, a Samsung R-120, will instantly give me an error message as soon as it loses a video or audio signal while recording. You can't get rid of the error message and it just continues recording! The only thing you can do is unplug the thing or shut the power off by holding in the power button. When it comes back your recording is gone because it doesn't burn the final instructions like it normally does when you stop recording.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Mpheadley,

What I mean by "it does not recognize it" is as follows: when I insert the Panasonic DVD-RAM the unit reports NO DISC. So there is no possible additional actions you can perform such as Format etc...What media have you used successfully so far?
    For recording, it works only if I start recording and stop the recording manually. Any timed recordings so far have ended in ERR014, using -R Memorex and -RW TDK media.
    I still did not get the Firmware upgrade and it has been more than 2 weeks. Another 2 days to go before the money back runs out at Best Buy...
    Quote Quote  
  30. The recorder is defective. The firmware update is to fix finalization problems, it won't fix a defective recorder.
    Quote Quote