VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Thanx God Seagate is ganna put an end to Maxtor for ever
    Quote Quote  
  2. How's Seagate replecment service work ?

I have a fleaky 20 Seagate 20GB. I will go thru the call if they are easy to work with.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Seagate RMA service is good, just be prepared to be switched around to different people and put on hold. Make sure you have at least an hour if not more to spend getting a 12 digit number from them for your return. They could do better but it's not like dealing with Dell.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I remember few years ago when my IBM GPX60 died.I got the RMA from their website. all they asked for was the SN#
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by SingSing
    How's Seagate replecment service work ?

I have a fleaky 20 Seagate 20GB. I will go thru the call if they are easy to work with.
    Go to seagate.com and check the SN there

http://support.seagate.com/customer/warranty_validation.jsp
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Of course whenever making a return you will want to have some important information available such as:

- Where you purchased
    - When you purchased
    - The model number
    - The serial number
    - The reason for the return
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROF
    I had dropped the drive in the mail the same day a replacement was at my house. Maxtor at that point had exceeded my expectation by providing a new drive while they hadn't even received the dead one. I sent them a letter thanking them for their quick response. The customer was also happy because I had reported that it might take up to 10 business days before their replacement was in. I had loaned them a small 40GB in the mean time so they were quite happy when I called later that day to say they could drop off the tower that evening because the drive was in. Great customer service and good reliable software is what has made me a fan of Maxtor drives.
    Good info ...

Can you give more info ... did you contact them by phone ... email ... what did they want you to do to confirm it was dead or dying ??

I had a Maxtor last year ... a full year ago ... and a 80 GB developed bad clusters within a month ... I wasn't too happy.

WinXP kept trying to analyse one of my drives and so I let it. Problem with WINXP is ... where do I find the results that say what condition the drive is in ... on this particular one ... I just happen to catch it just right and saw the display.

Is there another program out there that can analyse a hard drive and display the results.

Back in the Win ME days ... that was easy ... I could use Scan Disk and run it in DOS.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA
    Thanx God Seagate is ganna put an end to Maxtor for ever
    What do you mean ??

Did Seagate buy Maxtor ??
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. Seagate acquired Maxtor.

I contacting Maxtor by phone 1-800-2MAXTOR.

They wanted the info I described above about the drive and my purchase. I explained to them I was a reseller of products and explained to them the situation. After a few questions about what happened I was given an RMA number and an Order Number which I could use to check on the status of my return. When I opened the shipping box inside were RMA labels for returning the item I had already mailed. After about a week I checked to make sure everything was received on their end and all was right.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now I know the reason why Maxtor now has a 5 year warranty on the 250 gb SATA hard drive that I ordered from Computergeeks.com. They were bought out by Seagate eh! It works for me!

I had a MAXTOR 200gb hd fail after a month and had terrific customer service from Maxtor. They sent me a refurbished 250 gb hard drive so I got 50 gbs free! I hope customer service will continue to be good since Seagate bought them out.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Compusa is selling 80GB at give away price US$9.00. ( Only if your rebate come thru. )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    I hope customer service will continue to be good since Seagate bought them out.
    I would think so, Seagate has great customer service. I've had sectors go bad on my Cheetahs (the drive still worked, just got some bad sectors that a format wouldn't fix) and they replaced them in a hurry. Only thing they had me do was run the Seagate diagnostics on the drive to ensure it was a problem. Unfortunately they didn't give me larger versions of what I'd sent in
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have seen several times now in this thread where people say "Maxtor has great customer service". As far as I'm concerned, who cares?

I really have no idea how good Western Digital or Seagate customer service is. You want to know why? Because I've never had to call them about bad drives.

Maxtor is the PRINCO of hard drives. I understand Hitachi is not much different.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And to counterpoint you the only drive I've ever had fail completely was a 200GB Western Digital drive. I have a pretty good mix of Maxtor and Western Digital drives, all worked about the same. I view Maxtor and Western Digital as identical and only look at the pricing between them to decide. Seagate PATA and SATA drives I may view as marginally better, but only because of my fondness for their SCSI drives.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  15. The price of the MAXTOR 200GB PATA drive went from $59.00, to $79.00 and now up to $89.00. Are we in hyper Inflation ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I have seen several times now in this thread where people say "Maxtor has great customer service". As far as I'm concerned, who cares?

I really have no idea how good Western Digital or Seagate customer service is. You want to know why? Because I've never had to call them about bad drives.

Maxtor is the PRINCO of hard drives. I understand Hitachi is not much different.
    Very interesting ... and what Hard Drive is not a Princo in your book.

I've had a Maxtor lose clusters within a month of using it ... that is way too soon.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Western Digital or Seagate ... both are good drives. For people that want to whine about one, use the other. They get far less complaints than Maxtrash or Hitrashi.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Western Digital or Seagate ... both are good drives. For people that want to whine about one, use the other. They get far less complaints than Maxtrash or Hitrashi.
    Seagate just bought Maxtor...... :P
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I was on the same page that all HDs have about the same performance, until this Sunday morning. After I installed the new MAXTOR 200GB HD, I ran the HD bench mark on Westren Digital, MAXTOR, and SEAGATE HD ( All are ATA100/133 PATA ).

The result from fastest to slowest are : MAXTOR, SEAGATE, WESTERN DIGITAL.

MAXTOR is a bit faster than SEAGATE on seek time. WESTERN DIGITAL is 1/3 slower than the other two. Most likely due to small cache, and slow 11 ms seek time.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I couldn't disagree more. I've seen more failed western digital drives then maxtors. Western digital also has one of the worst customer services.

The reason why you see Maxtor or Hitachi complaints more often is because they are more prevalent in the industry, they are more often used in commercially built systems, and are available in more brick and mortar shops then any other drive makers. Western Digital in my opinion is one of the worst drives and is most certainly, hands down the worst customer servicer of all drive makers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Zen of Encoding
    The new "Hot Deal" standard is 20 cents per Gig after rebate.
    Fry's had a 250 Gig Hitachi for $49 (after rebate) 2 weeks ago.
    Just wait and keep your eyes open, you'll get this price or better.
    It's back......Fry's electronics:

Hitachi drives are somewhat suspect, but this is the best price
    in town for a 250 Gig SATA drive:

http://img.travidia.com/rop-sub/11647377
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maxtor bothers me with their finagling to get HDDs over 160GB to work on MoBOs. Yeah, I can get them to work, but dammit, I don't want to waste half my time trying to format a disk, then doing a funky intsall, before I even load my OS.

Dammit, just read the damn drive and GO!!!!

I know it's how they're setup, and I really like their drives, but it's really an inconvenience.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What funky install? I format them and install the OS just as I would any other drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the HDD is over 160GB and is your primary OS drive, you have to create a format disk for the system to read above 160GB. If it's your secondary drive, you probably won'thave a problem because you can DL the software to get it to read the full size above 160GB.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Doramius, You need a BIOS update.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Agreed. If your BIOS supports 48bit LBA and the OS you are installing supports it there is no need to install other software to accomplish this simple task.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Now, $110 online with a $20 rebate....
    Quote Quote  
  28. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy
    Now, $110 online with a $20 rebate....
    . . . or a Maxtor 200GB SATAII, 7200RPM, 8MB Cache for $84.98 delivered to your door. I just had to pick up two this morning. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144012

For those with ancient computers an IDE drive same specs is a buck cheaper. I probably could have done better than this but 200GB was the agreed upon capacity and I was already purchasing other parts from here too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    300gb ata for $80 free shipping!

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4187703
    Quote Quote