+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. This is an ad from staple :

Ultra 200GB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Special Buy $119.98 Reg price
    -40.00 Instant savings
    -20.00 Coupon savings (Enter coupon 79158 at checkout)
    =$59.98 Final Price Complete solution for ultra fast backup

200GB
    Ultra ATA/133
    7200 RPM
    Ultra fast 8MB cache buffer

I say couple of these will last me for a while.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Out of Stock online...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My local Staples probably has only one in stock. You might have to get there when the doors open.

But I have found if they are out of them in the store, I can still order the same sale item over the internet and they deliver it to my door. And it's delivered from same the local store.

EDIT: It's not shown in my local Staples flier, so no go.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by redwudz
    My local Staples probably has only one in stock. You might have to get there when the doors open.

But I have found if they are out of them in the store, I can still order the same sale item over the internet and they deliver it to my door. And it's delivered from same the local store.
    This is better than their after tank_giving sales. There are only a few HD onhand, and no rain check.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I used to go through those drives once every few weeks

Wish I could have picked them up at that price though. I recall my first 200GB HDD, which could be the same model as that, I bought for $300+ at the time. They had just hit the market though. That was maybe 4 years ago?
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I picked up the last two at our local store this morning. An excellent deal I will most certainly be passing along to someone in need of a PATA drive.
    Quote Quote  
  7. After you guys rushed down and get yours.

Bought one, I have.

Happy, I am.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just got a 120gb at Staples at that price last week. Should have waited.

The funny thing is that the 120 gig for $60 was next to an 80 gig which was like $80. No brainer there.
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You know I'm pissed LOL

I bought a new computer in December 2004 that can only work with SATA HDD drives (unless I buy a PCI ATA card which aren't cheap).

I know SATA is "new" but it's been around long enough that I thought the price would have come down yet ATA drives are always SO MUCH cheaper and most retail stores have a very poor selection of SATA drives.

Same thing with video cards ... I still see way too many AGP cards considering how long PCIe has been around now.

I mean the ATA 100/133 HDD drives took over the market from older HDD tech way faster than the SATA drives which seem to NOT be taking over the market and AGP also took over the market from regular PCI much faster than PCIe is replacing AGP.

What gives with that?

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Conquest10
    I just got a 120gb at Staples at that price last week. Should have waited.

The funny thing is that the 120 gig for $60 was next to an 80 gig which was like $80. No brainer there.
    I am returning my $59.00 seagate 120GB to Bestbuy.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bummer. My local Staples has the $ 59 special but it's for a 100 GB drive. No 200 GB drive on sale there. A couple of weeks ago they did have a 200GB USB drive on sale for $120 bought it and thought it was a little slow but not as slow as transcoding or ripping.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by FulciLives
    I mean the ATA 100/133 HDD drives took over the market from older HDD tech way faster than the SATA drives which seem to NOT be taking over the market. What gives with that?
    One of the reason is nearly all the PC have PATA interface, becase of the CD/DVD drive.

I did ask about pro and con about SATA. So far, it only make a different if one has heavy HD to HD transfer, like authoring Video into DVD. I do thanks folks on that post.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by cal_tony
    Bummer. My local Staples has the $ 59 special but it's for a 100 GB drive. No 200 GB drive on sale there.
    I only saw this in My E-mail ( must be my E-rebate account ) Need to ask for Staple part no. 504517. See this link :

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?ts=114247511943...a=FEATURED:SC3
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    @FulciLives

PCI reigned over ISA for almost half a decade before AGP came along. SATA and PATA drives are priced pretty much the same at most shops.

Staples.com - Hard Drives

Tigerdirect.com - Hard Drives

I don't know where you might be buying hard drives but a 200GB SATA and a 200GB EIDE are the same price where I shop.

PCI-E has pretty much eroded AGPs dominance. It's more costly to produce AGP cards which should be obvious to the end consumer. When comparing same family PCI-E and AGP GPUs the PCI-E is usually cheaper. PCI-E is rather new so give it a chance. Alot of people are still learning the benefits of it.

It takes time for the market to shift whether PCI-E Vs. AGP, PATA Vs. SATA, DDR Vs. DDR2, etc.

BTW, which board did you buy that only has SATA and no EIDE? In advance, congrats on your choice to avoid legacy hardware onboard.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cal_tony
    Bummer. My local Staples has the $ 59 special but it's for a 100 GB drive. No 200 GB drive on sale there. A couple of weeks ago they did have a 200GB USB drive on sale for $120 bought it and thought it was a little slow but not as slow as transcoding or ripping.
    I used there online computer ... in the their office furniture department and found it at there website and printed it up ... and brought the paper to the clerk up front and I bought 2 of them ... Monday Evening.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This weekend, COMPUSA has 200GB drives at a final price (after rebates) of $29.99.
    Whatever doesn't kill me, merely ticks me off. (Never again a Sony consumer.)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    @painkiller

Is it a CompUSA rebates, a manufacturers rebate, or a combo? If it's CompUSA allow about twice as long as stated to receive the rebate. It will show up but they take forever to issue checks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROF
    @painkiller

Is it a CompUSA rebates, a manufacturers rebate, or a combo? If it's CompUSA allow about twice as long as stated to receive the rebate. It will show up but they take forever to issue checks.
    Yes ... it is a mixture of rebates ... I will not even bother ... BestBuy seems to have sales on Hard Drives every week ... and they are instant savings ... I've got 3 Seagate 120 GB harddrives ... not even opened up from their sale two weeks ago. ... and add on the two 200 GB Maxtors ... I bought last Monday ... I'm fine thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROF
    @painkiller

I've never had problems with COMPUSA rebates. They send those rebate checks fast from my experience with COMPUSA. The fastest one I received from them was in 4 weeks.

As Lacywest mentioned Best Buy has been having instant rebates for Seagate hard drives the last few weeks. Those deals are hard to pass up. I've noticed from last year's black friday sales that COMPUSA didn't and hasn't had any hard drives that come with full instant rebates. It's always a $10 instant with a $30-$40 mail in rebates. Too bad I don't need any hard drives cuz I'd go with the instant rebates.

Also those Maxtor & Western digital retail hard drives from stores like COMPUSA , CIRCUIT CITY, etc. only come with a 1 year warranty. Some online retailers carry those brands/models which are OEM with 3 year warranties. At COMPUTERGEEKS.COM there is a Maxtor SATA hard drive that comes with a 5 year warranty. Now that's something new for MAXTOR to carry a 5 year warranty. I've bought 2 SATA hard drives a few months ago from COMPUTERGEEKS.COM since they come with a 3 year warranty.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Fry's has been selling 300 GB PATA drives recently for US$69 ($119 - $50 MIR).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROF
    @FulciLives

BTW, which board did you buy that only has SATA and no EIDE? In advance, congrats on your choice to avoid legacy hardware onboard.
    I bought a already configured "store bought" computer *gasp* but it was a BIG bang for my BUCK ... no way I could have put the same thing together for the price.

Anyways I haven't clue what the motherboard is other than it only supports two IDE devices on one channel (my multi-format DL DVD burner and a DVD/CD-ROM) and has two ports for SATA drives ... it came with a single 200GB SATA so when I add a 2nd I want one that is at least 200GB or more. The motherboard also has a PCIe slot and came with a 128MB NVidia GeForce 5300FX which is a low end PCIe card but good enough ... beats most other maker's that include some sort of intel built-in chipset *yuck*

While I am at it the computer is an Intel 540 3.2GHZ WITH 512MB RAM DDR 3200 (2x256MB)

Total price for all that with a MAG 17" CRT monitor and a Lexmark color printer was $900 and that was December 2004

So I think I did rather well

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Fry's has been selling 300 GB PATA drives recently for US$69 ($119 - $50 MIR).
    The new "Hot Deal" standard is 20 cents per Gig after rebate.
    Fry's had a 250 Gig Hitachi for $49 (after rebate) 2 weeks ago.
    Just wait and keep your eyes open, you'll get this price or better.
    Try these forums, their members do nothing but look out for
    deals (use the search to look for your hard drive type):

http://www.fatwallet.com/c/18
    http://forums.slickdeals.net/f9-hot-deals.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Zen of Encoding
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Fry's has been selling 300 GB PATA drives recently for US$69 ($119 - $50 MIR).
    The new "Hot Deal" standard is 20 cents per Gig after rebate.
    Fry's had a 250 Gig Hitachi for $49 (after rebate) 2 weeks ago.
    Just wait and keep your eyes open, you'll get this price or better.
    Try these forums, their members do nothing but look out for
    deals (use the search to look for your hard drive type):

http://www.fatwallet.com/c/18
    http://forums.slickdeals.net/f9-hot-deals.html
    I saved a copy of this in my so called ... C-Drive Internet Files Folder

These websites come in handy ... I used these type of websites to buy my Dell Laptop.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    @FulciLives

You got one incredible deal. The 540 was just appearing on the market at that time. It still sells for over $200 just for the chip. Plus you got all that other, what at the time would be considered, advanced hardware. A 200GB SATA drive too. Definitely a bargain at $900 for a 2004 purchase.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    they're cheap...but are they quality?
    the industry offers mail-in rebates because they know 75% will forget/not use/lose them
    Quote Quote  
  26. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If they are the Hitachi Desktar quality is questionable. I haven't had one fail buying both the 160GB and 250GB models but they are quite noisy.
    Quote Quote  
  27. The $69 300 GB drives last week were Seagate, Ultra ATA/100, 8MB cache, 5 year warranty. The brand/model/size changes every week but the prices are running around 20 cents per GB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROF
    If they are the Hitachi Desktar quality is questionable. I haven't had one fail buying both the 160GB and 250GB models but they are quite noisy.
    Agreed, the IBM/Hitachi PATA and SATA drives are not quite the thing. Their SCSI drives are OK, but otherwise I wouldn't touch them. Seagate, Maxtor, and Western Digital are pretty much everything for non-SCSI storage. I prefer Seagate drives if only because they're the king of SCSI storage, their quality control standards must carry over to their non-SCSI products. I'm eagerly anticipating their move into the high-rotational speed SATA market.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  29. Update : The same 200GB drive is now $79.00.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I prefer both Seagate and Maxtor drives over all others. I've had too many Samsung HDD die for it to be coincidence so I tend to avoid them. I also do not like Western Digital but only because if you do have to deal with them for a dead drive it's worse than pulling teeth for them to admit their drive failed and all you want is a replacement. I can't name a brand of hard drive I've had that hasn't died at some point. The only company who seems to deal really well with these is Maxtor.

I've only had two or three die on me over the years but they were quickly replaced. Early last year I had a DiamondMax crash on a customer. I was able to recover the data but the drive had alot of bad sectors on it so I contacted Maxtor. I explained to them the situation and they gave me a return number. I had dropped the drive in the mail the same day a replacement was at my house. Maxtor at that point had exceeded my expectation by providing a new drive while they hadn't even received the dead one. I sent them a letter thanking them for their quick response. The customer was also happy because I had reported that it might take up to 10 business days before their replacement was in. I had loaned them a small 40GB in the mean time so they were quite happy when I called later that day to say they could drop off the tower that evening because the drive was in. Great customer service and good reliable software is what has made me a fan of Maxtor drives.
    Quote Quote