VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had a hitachi dvd camcorder and made a few dvds on the camcorder but never finalized them. That camcorder ended up breaking and the replacement I was able to get was a Sony model that won't read the unfinalized disks that were made on the Hitachi. Now I've tried using Nero on my computer to try to finalizing the disks, but it doesn't work. Does anyone have a suggestion or a program that will work?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have had similar questions.
    I have had limited sucess with Nero and with DVDDecrypter.
    Basically what I now wind up doing is using ISO Buster to find all file data and then in the new heading it puts up I copy the video files out to a folder.
    From there I burn them -usualy using Nero Vision, as a new DVD.

I would be very interested in seeing if there is a better/faster method.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey dude, can you write me step by step what did you do for finalizing you mini DVD. I have Two of these discs, and i want to make them readable for my computer and DVD Player (Sang). I'm looking forward to see your post )
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by PepeBianto View Post
    I'm looking forward to see your post
    Hey Dude....these guys are probably dead by now because you dug up a 5 year old post.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It doesn't matter, I want to make my discs...
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm not dead, yet! I'm only sleeping

I come across this problem a lot. I still use ISO Buster, and it works about 95% of the time.
    Run ISO Buster, save out the video files. Be warned this can take minutes or many, many hours. Use a program such as AVStoDVD to create a basic disk structure inside a folder on your hdd.
    Use Imgburn to burn the AVStoDVD folder to a new disk.

Have fun!

--dES
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I'll try that
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i couldn't do almost nothing. is there easier way to finalize that type of disc ??
    Quote Quote  
  9. Other than using the original camcorder to do it there is no reliable way to finalize a disk. ISOBuster allows you to save out the video from the unfinalized disk, then you using an authoring program to make them into a new disk. If that doesn't work then there really isn't much else to try that I know of.

--dES
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found my files with IsoBuster, then i save them into a new folder, after that when i just clicking around the folder, i found that Pot player mini can read iso files. I watched my video files, yeah, the quality is great, but what i'm gonna do with this ISO files?? C'mon man, help me this disc is very important to me, if i succeed, i will be very happy.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I have a Mac Mini and cannot insert a mini-DVD into my Super Drive.

A customer wants me to copy contents of mini-DVDs. The original Camcorder is gone.
    There seem to be two formats of discs. Some are in scaled-down jewelcases, others are locked into sleeves that might be some kind of adapter insert.

Is there a media player that will play one or both style of these mini-DVDs?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think there's no way we can finalize disc using other brand. Anyway our concern is only to recover recorded video. What I did is to threat that disc as defective and just use a disc data recovery tool called "CD Roller v.8" If it's a Sony mini-DVD camcorder you can find Video_ts folder, all you have to do is only to burn it again using Nero. However, if it's from a Canon camcorder you can find only a .vro file. This file is best restored using Womble Mpeg Video Wizard "MPG MBS Scanner" and author it right there on same apps.

Hope my suggestion can help!
    Quote Quote  
  13. It might help, once I get to that point. For now, I'm trying to find a way to play the discs in the first place. Customer says the camcorder was probably an Hitachi. It may have retailed at $3500; customer isn't sure now, but says the price was over $3000. Even used, eight years on, those cameras cost more than I can comfortably spend, to do this job. I want to buy a relatively inexpensive 3" Disc Player -- mini-DVDs in Hitachi format, many of which are still in adapter sleeves.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Groami Geistalt View Post
    It might help, once I get to that point. For now, I'm trying to find a way to play the discs in the first place. Customer says the camcorder was probably an Hitachi. It may have retailed at $3500; customer isn't sure now, but says the price was over $3000. Even used, eight years on, those cameras cost more than I can comfortably spend, to do this job. I want to buy a relatively inexpensive 3" Disc Player -- mini-DVDs in Hitachi format, many of which are still in adapter sleeves.

Thanks.
    Some Hitachi camcorders used mini DVD-RAM discs in cartridges. These do not require finalization, but I don't know if any internal or external Mac DVD drives support the DVD-RAM format. PC drives that read DVD-RAM have a circular indentation that fits the mini discs. There may be a way to remove them from the cartridge. http://www.mytechguide.com/18/removing-dvd-ram-disc-from-cartridge/ MPEG Streamclip may be able to read VRO files if there are no bad sectors and no file fragmentation. Using a PC, Cyberlink PowerDirector should be able to read them and Cyberlink PowerDVD should be able to play them.

Panasonic DVD players may be able to play these discs, if you just want to see what is on them.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Jun 2011 at 16:54.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hi guys,

I've come across this problem and found this thread. I only have 2 mini discs that have not been finalized, and the camera is not accessible, and don't expect to have this issue again. Therefore, I can't justify spending $40-50 to use ISOBuster just two times. I downloaded the program, but it is saying I need a key to extract the video. So, does anyone know of true free software that can do this instead? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Many people have posted that they have good success using IsoPuzzle which is free.

--dES
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    I have a similar issue in that I have multiple mini DVD-Rs that I did not finalize in my Hitachi DZ-MV550A before selling the camcorder. My question is, if I buy a used Hitachi, same model, can I finalize those discs? Everything I read says I have to finalize in the original machine, but would another one of the same model also work? I risk losing many of my family videos and I am desperate to retrieve the data. When I load the discs on my computer, it shows that there are no files...looks like a blank disc.
    Quote Quote  
  18. That should work. But why not use ISOPuzzle or invest the $35 in ISOBuster to extract the files to the computer?

--dES
    Quote Quote  
  19. I forgot to write a follow-up here.
    I purchased an external disc player and ISO Buster. Removed the mini-dvds from the cartridges so they'd snap into the external disc player, and ISO Buster lifted all the information with no trouble.
    Job done.
    Sorry for forgetting to come back here with the news.
    If you go this route, read carefully the external disc player's description, make sure it specifically says it that it will play the smaller discs.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you. I was considering programs like ISOBuster and CDRoller. I guess I am really nervous if something goes wrong that something will happen to my data. I am not the most tech-savvy person so was trying to go the easiest and what seemed to be the least risky route, which was to buy a used camcorder. I have found some for under $100. I may consider software...still reading up. I appreciate the responses.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hi

If you're using a PC box with an internal CD/DVD player, the disc tray may have the indent for the mini-DVD. I bought the external because it's newer and faster than my internal drive.

Being an optical drive, it'll read the data on your mini-DVD without physical contact.

So if you have an internal drive with a tray that'll hold the smaller disc, then the cost of the software is all you may need to consider.

If the mini-DVDs are in plastic cartridges, browse this website for information on how to open the case to extract the disc. It's a simple procedure.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks. Yes, I have a newer computer with an internal drive that holds the mini-discs. I will try the software and see if it works.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I KNOW THIS IS A OLD POST BUT I HAD SAME PROBLEM ( HANDBRAKE ) WORKS BEST IT WILL CONVERT YOUR FILES INTO ONE MP4/MPEG FILE, EVEN IF DISK IS UNFINALIZED TTHIS WILL RECOVER YOUR VIDEO...THANKX FOR THIS POST AND THANKX ( HANDBRAKE) CREATORS
    Quote Quote  
  24. Thanks for that info, mrcrook.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I downloaded Handbrake and placed my mini disk in the tray. When I go to that drive while in Handbrake there are no files shown. How does handbrake work in recovering an unfinalized video from a mini disc?
    Quote Quote  
  26. seems like Handbrake sucks!
    Quote Quote