VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought the JVC SR-V101U and have noticed it adds an audio buzz to any tape I play, with the exception of the pre-recorded tapes. And I mean ANY tape, recorded in any speed on any machine from 1982 to 2002. Some tapes recorded in Hi-Fi will allow me to cycle through all the audio options but the hiss/buzz is still there. Tapes not in Hi-Fi do not allow me to change anything with the A. Monitor button on the remote.

I really don't want to have to run every single tape I want to convert through Soundforge. Anyone encounter this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can't fix buzz that well in SoundForge anyway.

The issue appears to be the tapes. Poorly recorded tapes can add hum, hiss, buzz and whine when played on equipment that is not "messed up" like the recording VCR/camera was.

There is always a chance your VCR is messed up, but you said "nearly" every tape, not every tape, so not likely.

And then you've not told us about your source tapes, what are they? How were they made? What kind of tape? How old? What recording mode? What recording VCR?

I face this problem too, but it's almost always the tape. And usually all VCRs on hand will reproduce the error to some extent.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Are you experiencing this audio buzz only with HiFi tapes?

I have two JVC S-VHS VCRs, one of them being a top of the line model (9800), the other a low end model (3900). Both machines offer superb video but they are both EXTREMELY "touchy" when playing the HiFi audio tracks of VHS tapes recorded on other VCRs; I often find it necessary to adjust the tracking to eliminate any buzzing in the sound. I think other Forum members have experienced the same problem with JVC units.

So if your buzzing audio is only for the HiFi tracks you might try adjusting the tracking. If, however, you are hearing a buzzing sound even on the linear (non-HiFi) track, your unit is definitely defective and requires repair.

I have hundreds of videotapes in my collection which were recorded over the last 20 years on a wide variety of what were - at the time - top of the line VCRs (such as NEC, Sharp, Toshiba, etc.). I'm in the process of transferring programs from those videotapes to DVD and, in general, I've found that the videotapes recorded on the older machines (NEC, Sharp, Toshiba) will present no HiFi audio tracking problems when played on the JVC VCRs. Most of the HiFi audio buzzing occurs with videotapes which were recorded on recent model VCRs, especially Panasonic units. I even have to adjust the tracking when playing a tape recorded on the relatively new JVC 3900 on the JVC 9800.

NOTE: I actually sent the 3900 to JVC's factory once with sample tapes from other VCRs and asked them to check/adjust the tracking for best audio. When I got the VCR back the tracking was slightly less "touchy" but still required adjustment for about 20% of my tapes.

In cases where I still have audio problems I use my 6-head Toshiba M782, which is near always able to properly track HiFi audio tracks recorded on ANY VCR with rarely any tracking adjustment required. In my opinion it is the very best non-S-VHS VCR one could use when dubbing videotapes to DVD: with its DNR circuitry engaged it offers superb color and detail almost as fine as that of the JVC 9800.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    You can't fix buzz that well in SoundForge anyway.

The issue appears to be the tapes. Poorly recorded tapes can add hum, hiss, buzz and whine when played on equipment that is not "messed up" like the recording VCR/camera was.

There is always a chance your VCR is messed up, but you said "nearly" every tape, not every tape, so not likely.

And then you've not told us about your source tapes, what are they? How were they made? What kind of tape? How old? What recording mode? What recording VCR?

I face this problem too, but it's almost always the tape. And usually all VCRs on hand will reproduce the error to some extent.
    I'll post some snippets of audio from the machine later today. But I'm seriously talking about any brand of tape, recorded on any speed, over a 20 year time span. I went to capture Superman recorded in EP from Showtime back in 1984 on a JVC tape in a giant Sharp beast of a VCR... there was buzz. I tried capturing an awards show from 1997 recorded in SP on a Fuji tape in a Magnavox 4-head heavy duty machine... there was buzz. I've probably used 10-15 VCRs over the years, not to mention tapes I've gotten from others, and so far I hear buzz in all of them. But not on pre-recorded tapes.

Now, here's the odd thing about the buzzing sound... when I hit the menu button on the remote, the buzzing then starts to pulse in and out. I'll upload a clip of that as well.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If the buzzing occurs with every tape could it be that the problem is not the VCR itself but possibly a ground loop resulting from your current cable connections and electrical hookup? Is your TV output hooked up to your stereo receiver?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gjb0219
    If the buzzing occurs with every tape could it be that the problem is not the VCR itself but possibly a ground loop resulting from your current cable connections and electrical hookup? Is your TV output hooked up to your stereo receiver?
    It's happening on every consumer tape that I've made. Store bought professionally recorded tapes are not doing it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, an update...

What I've found is that this is an issue with every tape that does NOT have hi-fi audio, or a hi-fi tape being played in NORM audio mode. (I know, I know, duh...)

Now I have two other VCRs as well, a cheapo Panasonic and a combo unit from Zenith. Listening to the same tapes on those machines through headphones, I can hear a very slight buzz on the Panny and what simply sounds like "open air" on the Zenith. The JVC unit just intensifies this noise, making it a very audible buzz/hiss. I can't hear the distortion through normal TV speakers on either cheap VCR, but it's definitely there on the JVC.

So I guess I'll have to sacrifice picture quality for sound on non-hifi records and just use the JVC for those tapes with hifi audio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If thats the case just capture the audio separately using one of the other vcrs and capture the video using the jvc.

Otherwise do 2 caps one jvc and the other machine. Demux the streams and multiplex the good audio with good video. Obviously you need to make sure they are in synch.
    I hope this has taught you kids a lesson: kids never learn.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I completely lucked myself into a MINT condition Panasonic AG-1970 last night with not so much as a speck of dust inside. The JVC has a slightly better picture, but the audio problems are completely gone on the Panny.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The SR-V101US strikes again! I seriously think that JVC has some subpar parts in some of their machines.

Glad to see that your Panasonic solved the problem though. I almost went after one of those on ebay.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last night I was ready to pack up the JVC and send it back, but I think I'm going to hang onto it to reduce wear and tear on the AG-1970. I'll do hifi transfers in the JVC and everything else in the Panasonic.
    Quote Quote