VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    davideck, you are just saying that to demonstrate the FULL ability of the Toshiba's TBC, I need to turn off the JVC's....correct?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am saying that in order to verify ANY timebase correction capability of the XS34, the JVC TBC/DNR must be off. Otherwise, the JVC TBC will output stable sync such that no additional timebase correction is possible.

Timebase correction, frame synchronization, and MV removal are all independent operations. A particular TBC device may or may not provide frame synchronization. A particular frame synchronizer device may or may not provide timebase correction. Either device may or may not provide MV removal.

The JVC TBC/DNR is a good TBC with no frame synchronization or MV removal.
    The XS34 provides timebase correction and frame synchronization but not MV removal.
    The TBC-1000 provides frame synchronization and MV removal, but little if any timebase correction.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davideck
    I am saying that in order to verify ANY timebase correction capability of the XS34, the JVC TBC/DNR must be off. Otherwise, the JVC TBC will output stable sync such that no additional timebase correction is possible.
    I understand for testing purposes, your point. For actual use though doing caps of, say VHS, the JVC wouldn't mess up the Toshiba's TBC-functionality, would it? I mean, is there still some benefit to using the JVC TBC when recording with a Toshiba or similar DVD recorder?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Using the JVC TBC/DNR will prevent the Toshiba from performing any additional timebase correction, but that should not mess up anything. The Toshiba will just see a more stable signal with the JVC TBC/DNR than it would otherwise see without. Use whatever looks best on a tape by tape basis.

For some tapes, the JVC TBC/DNR may perform better than the Toshiba TBC. I've also had tapes where my JVC 7600 TBC/DNR jitters vertically, while another VCR plays back fine. In that case, its better not to use the JVC TBC/DNR.

Its nice to have TBC capability in the DVD Recorder because it benefits all VCRs without TBCs, including Beta and 8mm machines.
    Quote Quote