VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hallo.
    I'm thinking about moving to linux world also with grabbing clips from my miniDV
    camcorder. I saw that there is an application that looks quite nice. It's name
    is `kino'. I need some more information, esspecially about quality of grabbed pic
    tures.

On windows I am using scenalyzer + main concept DV codec. I'm very glad about th
    e quality of grabbed clips. Can You tell me whether grabbing quality is the same
    in kino.

There is one more thing I like in scenalyzer. It can split my source into clips
    based on drastic change of time that is stored on the miniDV tape. Can kino do t
    he same?

Thank You in advance for Your help.

Greetings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pawel7
    Hallo.
    I'm thinking about moving to linux world also with grabbing clips from my miniDV
    camcorder. I saw that there is an application that looks quite nice. It's name
    is `kino'. I need some more information, esspecially about quality of grabbed pic
    tures.

On windows I am using scenalyzer + main concept DV codec. I'm very glad about th
    e quality of grabbed clips. Can You tell me whether grabbing quality is the same
    in kino.

There is one more thing I like in scenalyzer. It can split my source into clips
    based on drastic change of time that is stored on the miniDV tape. Can kino do t
    he same?

Thank You in advance for Your help.

Greetings.
    A DV transfer should not differ in "quality" regardless of the program used. The stream goes straight to a file on the HDD. The only way a codec impacts the transfer is for video/audio decoding for monitoring. The stream isn't affected. Normally DirectShow (XP DirectX) will be used to manage the transfer and DirectShow defaults to the MS DV codec for monitoring.

Beyond all this, programs like Scenealyzer add features for "optical" image processing for scene detection purposes only. Scenealyzer probably uses its internal codec to feed this but maybe you instructed it to use Mainconcept instead, or maybe they use Mainconcepts OEM DV codec internally. Regardless the stream to file transfer is untouched.

Maybe you are using Mainconcept's DV codec for Virtualdubmod for DV-> RGB -> DV

Kino is a simple editor (like Vitualdub) that will import and export DV (like WinDV). As far as I know it doesn't have scene detection features like Scenealyzer.

I'm not sure which DV codec Kino uses to and from RGB. I don't think Kino supports native YUV processing. I haven't used it in months.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hallo edDV
    > Kino is a simple editor (like Vitualdub) that will import and export DV (like WinDV). As far as I know it doesn't have scene detection features like Scenealyzer.

Do You know any linux miniDV grabber that has `scene change detection' feature ?

Greetings
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are two types of scene detection.

Camcorders add metadata for every record start and stop point matched to timecode. This is what consumer capture software uses for "poor man's" scene detection. This works well for camcorder material, but does nothing for captured programs.

Scenealyzer uses "optical" image analysis to detect scene changes. I'm not aware of a Linux program that does the same thing.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Let me do summary of Your post.
    > There are two types of scene detection.
    1) "optical scene detection" - used by scenalyzer. You do not know any linux soft that can do it.
    2) camcorder time metadata detection

Is the summary above correct ?
    If Yes, I have 2 more questions
    a) Do You know any linux soft that can detect scenes based on 2)
    b) do all (or most) miniDV camcorders add such metadata to miniDV tape while recording ?

Greetings
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pawel7
    Let me do summary of Your post.
    > There are two types of scene detection.
    1) "optical scene detection" - used by scenalyzer. You do not know any linux soft that can do it.
    2) camcorder time metadata detection

Is the summary above correct ?
    If Yes, I have 2 more questions
    a) Do You know any linux soft that can detect scenes based on 2)
    b) do all (or most) miniDV camcorders add such metadata to miniDV tape while recording ?

Greetings
    a) I don't recall
    b) As far as I know yes. At least Sony and Panasonic.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello
    Let me explain:
    I have miniDV tape with movie from my vacation. There are a lots of scenes on that tape.
    Definition of `scene': piece of movie that has continous time.

I'm looking for a linux tool that will grab that movie from my camcorder and will split it into files where each file will contain one scene.

My question is whether You know such tool ?

Greetings
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, I don't but you can easily do this under Windows with WinDv or your Scenalyzer and then shift to Linux to edit your files.

I haven't found an editor that I like in Linux so I do 99.9% of video in Windows.

Here are some sites that review Linux video applications

http://linuxgazette.net/issue62/silva.html
    http://www.exploits.org/v4l/
    http://usalug.org/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=63
    http://www.b-lux.net/courses-multimedia.html
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    edDV,
    thank You for Your help
    I will try to find something I like.
    Greetings