VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I'm new, so I apologize if this has already been answered elsewhere, or if I'm in the wrong forum, or whatever else I might be doing wrong.

I have a DVD where the audio is about a quarter of a second off, and I want to fix it without losing video quality. Is there a way to re-sync the audio in the vob files, so that I can just replace them and burn with DVDDecrypter?

My method now is to rip with DVDx 2.3 to a .avi, then run the .avi through TMPGEnc Plus with an audio offset, to get a .m2v+.wav. Then author a new DVD with DVD Author. But the .m2v has worse video quality than the original. Is there another way to do this that preserves the original video quality?

I use the DIV 5.2 codec in DVDx at the maximum bitrate, and I use the highest bitrate I can in TMPGEnc Plus and still fit on the 4.7 GB disk. The new .iso is a little bigger than the original DVD, so I'm not compressing things to small file sizes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No need to re-encode the video. Add or subtract from the audio, then remux.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Demux the audio out of the vobs, adjust the delay, then add the audio back in. Look at the IFOEdit guides for methods of doing similar things.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Resyncing is not so easy. Generally you would need to convert the VOB to MPEG with a tool like VOB2MPG, then mux out the audio and apply an offset, or depending on the sync problem, stretch or shrink the time of the audio.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all! This is exactly the sort of information I needed. I don't know how to de- and remux, but I'll pick that up as I go from the guides. The general idea seems to be:

rip with DVDDecrypter
    use VOB2MPG to extract one big MPEG (with no loss of quality, right?)
    demux with some tool to extract the audio
    apply an offset to the audio
    remux with some tool
    replace the old VOBs with new ones
    burn with DVDDecrypter

Is this about right? I'll figure out the details as I go, and I'll probably ask more questions when I know enough to ask intelligent questions.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I have a new question about this. I used VOB2VCR to give me a big .mpg file, and I demuxed that to .mv2+.ac3 and applied an offset to the .ac3. I used IfoEdit to remux and split it up into 1 GB .vob files, like the originals. So far so good.

I know how to author a new DVD from these .vob's if that's what I have to do. But what I'd really like is to stick these new .vob's back into the old TS_VIDEO folder and burn from that, so that I preserve the old menus and chapters. Is there a way to do that?

I tried just overwriting the .vob files with the new ones, but the menus and chapters didn't work. I also tried overwriting the old .ifo and .bup with the new ones that IfoEdit created, but that didn't work either.

Is there some reasonably easy way to do this, without authoring a new DVD and creating new menus and chapters?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi-

But what I'd really like is to stick these new .vob's back into the old TS_VIDEO folder and burn from that, so that I preserve the old menus and chapters. Is there a way to do that?

Open the original out-of-synch DVD in VobBlanker and use the "Replace" button to replace the old one with the new in-synch one. That way you presrve the menus and anything else on the original DVD. The chapters should have been preserved when you reauthored with IFOEdit. If not, you'll have to go back and do it again. You can demux (getting the chapters in the process) using PGCDemux, or you can use what you already have and just get the chapters if that's all you need. PGCDemux gives you the chapters in a format supported by IFOEdit and Muxman.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    Open the original out-of-synch DVD in VobBlanker and use the "Replace" button to replace the old one with the new in-synch one.
    Thanks, manono, that worked. All done!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Just found this post and have similar problem, however, I'm not up to speed on DVD's on hard drives.

I have a DVD I bought at a record shop as new, however, it's obviously a bootleg and the audio is out of sync.

I ripped the dvd(r) to my hard drive using DVDdecryptor v3.5.4.0 Coded by Lightning UK! and now have a bunch of files that I have no idea what they are, or what to do with. When I select to play the file folder using Nero Vision (newest version) there are options listed in the DVD Main Menu that don't work (they didn't work on my home DVD player either) and the sync is still off by the same amount.

There's a total of 9 files and they are as follows (in Windows Details View order)
    VIDEO_TS.BUP............... 12kb
    VIDEO_TS.IFO ............... 12kb
    VIDEO_TS.VOB ............... 34kb
    VTS_01_0.BUP ................ 78kb
    VTS_01_0.IFO .................. 78kb
    VTS_01_1.VOB .............. 1,048,018kb
    VTS_01_2.VOB .............. 1,048,018kb
    VTS_01_3.VOB .............. 1,048,018kb
    VTS_01_4.VOB ............... 1,039,596kb

I have no clue what to do next. I have Nero 7 (latest version) and that's about it for any dvd editing.

any help for a total noob, such as what's a mux?

If I can't fix the menus, I'd at least like to fix the audio.

Thanks,

Rick
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi-

Extrapolate from what I said before. Open that VTS_01_0.IFO in PGCDemux. Make sure Mode is by PGC and Domain is Title. Check the Demux Video Stream box. Give it an output folder and Demux. At that point you'll have the original DVD in one place, and the demuxed movie (video, audio, celltimes.txt (chapters) and subs (if any) in another place. Immediately reauthor the demuxed stuff using Muxman (or maybe IFOEdit), adding in the video and audio (also setting the delay to resynch it) for sure, almost certainly the celltimes.txt, and subs, if any. Give it an Output folder and Start. Test it when done to make sure it's in synch. If not, reauthor again. When it's good, open the original out-of-synch DVD in VobBlanker. Highlight the movie to make it appear in the lower screen. Hit the Replace button to the right and scroll to your new in-synch video. Give it an output folder and Process. Test when done.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok,

That will take a while to figure out, and I'll get back to you.

Thanks

rick'
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just to add: If you look to the upper left for 'What is' DVD you will see a page on DVD information. <<<<<< Near the bottom of that page is the DVD file structure. That will tell you about the VOBs, IFOs, BUPs and other useful things about DVDs.

It all sounds complicated, but you should pick up the basics quick enough.

Generally there are two common types of sync problems, one is where the audio is off the same amount throughout the video. That can be corrected by an audio offset. The second is where the audio gradually drifts out of sync. That is generally because the audio and video are of different lengths. That's where you would have to stretch or shrink the playing time of one or the other. If the file is missing audio or video, corrupted or damaged otherwise, that makes it more difficult.

Muxing or Demuxing is the method of interleaving the audio and video streams together to form a single file. VOBs may have more than one audio stream.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks again everyone.

I'll play around with this tomorrow and get back.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry to take so long to get back.

I used PgcDemux and now I have two files on my desktop that I don't know what to do with. They are:

AudioFile_80.ac3 201mb

VideoFile.m2v 3.68gb

I've downloaded:

IfoEdit and VobBlanker, but don't know what to do next.

Thanks,

Rick

BTW - I think I discovered what caused the problem in the first place. The DVD I purchased was a bootleg and someone did a bad job of converting PAL to NTSC. The video and audio are fine, they are just out of sync.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Better never than late, eh?

Open IFOEdit. Up at the top go DVDAuthor->Author New DVD. In the new screen, add in the M2V and the AC3. For the chapters, load the Celltimes.txt you got from PGCDemux. Highlight the audio and fill in the delay. Hit OK to author. When done, test for audio synch and if OK, follow the rest of the instructions above for adding the good DVD back into the original DVD using VobBlanker.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Will post back - and I'll try not to take four months...

thanks...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok,

After three times through IfoEdit with three different ms delay values, it's quite clear that the audio is BEHIND the video and IfoEdit won't allow a negative intiger.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rick
    Quote Quote  
  18. just keep in mind that re-syncing can be a very long and tedious process depending on how bad the sync is. Not all clips can be fixed by just adding or subtracting from the audio length. Some films the sync increases in speed as the film plays against the source you want to use it with. Ex: I am currently working on re-syncing the original vhs audio from the film happy birthday to me, with the new dvd picture (music rights issues changed the audio). In my case their is a 3 second difference between the vhs and dvd source. However the vhs source keeps increasing in speed as the film plays. In that case its more of actually reconstructing the entire audio stream as adding/subtracting will not work.

Hopefully your cases are nowhere near this hassle.---
    Quote Quote  
  19. Hi-

it's quite clear that the audio is BEHIND the video and IfoEdit won't allow a negative intiger

My first suggestion earlier on was to use Muxman for the job. It allows for positive or negative values up to 300 ms either way. Either that or bring the delay down to zero by cutting the amount required from the beginning using AC3 Delay Corrector, which allows for positive or negative values as large as needed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks - I'll try them out.

I want to thank you for your patience when helping a total noob try to do somthing so simple, for an expert.

thanks again,

Rick
    Quote Quote  
  21. Glad to oblige. We were all rookies once.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well what do you know - it worked!!

Many thanks.
    Quote Quote