VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Cucusoft Ipod Video convert works like a charm except for two problems:
    You cannot customize the screen size yourself and have to pick one fo the preset ones. This is a problem for really wide widescreen movies. Also, once encoded, you cannot change any of the file info. For example, you cannot use AtomicParsley to mark it was a TV Show to have it appaer on your Ipod as a TV Show episode.

With Videora, you can customize everything and it all works out great. Except for the desynching issues. The farther into the video you watch, the more the audio is desynched with the video. If you have a really long movie, the desynching is several seconds.

So which other choices are there? Preferrably free or that at least have free 30 day trials. But I'm getting desperate, so just list them all.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    try super
    Quote Quote  
  3. Super has one huge problem:
    The resolution presets. For example, there's no resolution for 368x208. >_>'

Is there any way to get that kind of resolutions with h.264/AVC that's playable on the Ipod with SUPER?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In the top left-hand corner, for "1. Select the Output Container", pick "Apple - iPod" from the drop-down. You'll be able to select 368x208 in the Video section at that point.

(Are you using the latest version of SUPER?)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have purchased two iPod video converters this past week and both have problems:

ImTOO ipod converter - the one I liked best - the one with the least amount of buzzers and bells - encoded great except for one thing: at 9 minutes and 26 seconds, the screen turns green and there's a loud squeal. At a higher quality, from the point on, the vid plays fine. But at lower quality, from that point on the audio and video are out of sync. This was the case with 24 files. Not only did it happen with iPod video converter but the ImTOO PSP converter as well. Tech support rather than accept the fact they've got a bug told me to output to MPEG instead of AVI in Premiere and made it clear they do not give refunds. Yeah, well **** you, too. The reason I didn't detect this earlier is that the trial version only allows you to process five minutes of vid.

Next, I tried MOVkit iPod converter. The trial version worked great but now that I've purchased, when I load the files onto my iPod, 9 out of 10 of them freeze up. Once the vid starts playing again, there's no audio. Haven't heard back from tech support yet - just wrote them an hour ago - but hopefully I have a better experience with them than with ImTOO.

If I can't get my problem with MOVkit corrected, I'm going to try SUPER which I probably should have done in the first place. Then Quicktime Pro and then Xilisoft...... and then I'm going to the beach, supposed to be 82 tomorrow.

Take care!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I've tried Super, Videora iPod Converter, 3ivx with GraphEdit and Quicktime Pro,they all have their pros and cons but I've had the best results with Nero ReCode and the Nero Digital codec, the resulting files playback great and A/V sync is always spot on. The encoder and frame size etc. are very easy to configure and the de-interlacing looks good on a regular TV. As for freezing video issues the iPod firmware update 1.1 is notorious for screwing up a perfectly good thing. I had to roll my iPod back to version 1.0 to restore video functionality. Nero digital pro is 29.95 US so it's not cheap but it is rock solid and has many other features such as Capturing etc. Quicktime Pro is a waste of money,. it is buggy beyond belief and encodes VERY slowly and rarely finishes an encode without errors It also doesn't handle MPEG-2 Video so won't encode from DVD's. Anyway just my $.02.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got to agree with GMaq, Nero Recode works the best for me - easy to crop the sides of the movie so I can get a full screen picture on the iPod and its the fastest I've used. ImToo worked well for me but I output to Mpeg. I did not have sync problems in ImToo. Apparently you must uncheck the 'detect progressive 24hz' check box under preferences.
    Will have to haul out the cash for Nero Recode as I cannot do without it now.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    www.jodix.com

Freeware. I have never tried this though.

I am considering buying a video iPod, so please let us know what works the best.

Tearren
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    3gp converter (it's free) seems pretty good, but I have used is very few times.

I know that iTunes is ridculously bad at converting videos.
    snappy phrase

I don't know what you're talking about.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's my experience to toss in here.

I tried Xilisoft's iPod Converter first and didn't have even a single success with it. Every item I transcoded to .mp4 format tossed out an "Error -2014 - Incorrect Duration" error. I tried multiple files with multiple formats and they all encoded badly. I looked for help on the Internet and all I could find were suggestions to either keep trying to recode it or get a new program.

I followed the latter advice and got Cucusoft. I agree it works like a charm, and it successfully encoded the files that Xilisoft choked on. But I also agree with FallenAngelII; being limited to the preset dimensions makes it difficult for me to encode some movies I have with very odd dimensions.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I came across super dvd to ipod and it seems a good program to convert dvd to ipod video. Hope it helps you.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 11th Aug 2010 at 03:55.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since the iPod will play PSP encoded MP4 SP, you can also use the tools intended for PSP use.
    Quote Quote