VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi folks

Just for fun - doing a survey to see where this technology might be going:

For me I'd love to see simple navigations like a DVD or UMD on future Ipods and a way to transfer that info to a disc after youve purchase it.

Could you imagine how much money a blockbuster film would bring if it were released in theaters and on Ipods in the same day?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just read an article that said Apple is thinking about releasing a wide screen iPod at the end of the year.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Radio...Simple I know but all I'd like to see is an FM Radio built in (DAB would be nicer though). Until then think I'm going to buy myself an iRiver mp3 player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Direct P2P communication, telephony, and satelite radio services.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by e404pnf
    Radio...Simple I know but all I'd like to see is an FM Radio built in (DAB would be nicer though). Until then think I'm going to buy myself an iRiver mp3 player.
    Agreed. That (and video) was what made me grab that fake nano a few posts down. It's really should have happened awhile ago and now they have an official Ipod FM attachment I'm betting it won't happen.

On that note I'd so consider one if they implimented input slots on the side (like CF size etc) where add-ons like the FM radio could be placed inside of the Ipod. With that I'd so pick up:

AM/FM/Weather add on
    Analong TV tuner
    Digital TV tuner

all with recording feature to the HDD

Touchscreen with wi-fi ability would be nice as well.
    Day Dreamin' about John Waters...again.

The Naked Gord Program
    http://nakedgord.blogspot.com
    Humour, Politics, Gadgets.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, I'm pretty happy with my iPod (5G "video"). I convert all of my vid's to H264 and connect my iPod to my TV. I also have an iPod connector in my Scion (came standard) and can hold enough music to drive across Texas without repeating a song. (Probably enough room for a cross-country drive without repeating a song, eh?)

Only thing that might be a nice addition would be a higher-resolution option for H264. Let me have 640x480 (and not top out at 320x240). But I'm not complaining.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wi Fi would be decent. It would be great to be able to network to you IPOD to upload your tunes rather than connect it via cable. This would be great for streaming music to a PC.

A working text editor.

Ipod to Ipod IM capability.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Bluetooth to send the songs to another pod. Like on phones.
    Jagabo, please do not reply to this post. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smearbrick1
    Ipod to Ipod IM capability.
    Wouldn't that theoretically bring up the need for a small keyboard attachment, at some point, though? I really wouldn't want to try to IM using only the iPod's wheel... :P (It's bad enough trying to do it on a tiny cell phone's keypad. Not that I want to IM on my cell phone, but you get the general idea. ^_^)

Personally, though, I'm not sure IMing on the iPod is a good idea, but that's just me. I'd rather just listen to my music in peace. ^_^
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  10. DAB wont be on a portable for a while .. the chips that run it are far too power draining. FM requires about 1/10th of the power. ALso the more "powerful" the codec used in compression the more power is needed by a chip on decompression (h264) ergo battery life suffers. Wi-fi would be good , as would a virtual keyboard. DVb-t maybe even DVB-h. scratch free self repairing screen. GPS would be a laugh and an emergency beacon. A nice torch/reading light. replacement Car Keys for Keyless cars. A serrated frictional edge for striking matches. A drugs testing probe. A fold out section with a screwdriver , scissors, Horse shoe pick pliers... a laser etching design service for the titanium case
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by epicurus
    I just read an article that said Apple is thinking about releasing a wide screen iPod at the end of the year.
    Thats what I don't get about apple. Why in the world release a SQUARE video player in the age of widescreen???? That is just totally insane in my opinion. I mean widescreen is here to stay and that was just totally stupid. Sure they wouldn't want to reconfigure there "standard" design too much but video is a different creature than audio. You need the proper ratio.

And now everyone that bought a standard ipod video player is going to want to buy a widescreen one. Man what a waste.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    And now everyone that bought a standard ipod video player is going to want to buy a widescreen one. Man what a waste.

Not for Apple.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Personally, I'm just boggling at the popularity of the iPod video players, given their relative immaturity compared to all the other PMPs / PVPs out there (like Archos, iRiver...)
    Quote Quote  
  14. use AAAA battery.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Real Media,WMV, OGM, MKV, OGG, Nero Digital Audio, Nero Digitsl Video support. Those added and the iPOD will beat them all. Oh and the ability to play dual audio and subtitles.
    Do. Or, Do Not. There Is No Try. -Jedi Master Yoda
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by balefor
    wmv
    Um doesn't that stand for WINDOWS media video??

I don't think APPLE will ever allow WMV or WMA on their players. Even though they opened up the mac mini to windows on dual boot I think they're going to keep the IPOD locked up for as long as they possibly can.

Me I personally love my new IRIVER T30 1gb model. Does everything I need and even has a voice recorder and line in recording.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Don't consider this as a troll, as I own a 40GB 4G and two Shuffles..

Umm.. what I'd like to see is the addition of.. bass. Even with good headphones the iPod is piss weak. Compare the 'oomph' of the iPod's sound with say.. an iRiver, even long out of production models. Much more kick.

I don't know how anyone can put up with the default headphones. So, get the sound right before adding anything more exotic.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thats what I don't get about apple. Why in the world release a SQUARE video player in the age of widescreen???? That is just totally insane in my opinion. I mean widescreen is here to stay and that was just totally stupid. Sure they wouldn't want to reconfigure there "standard" design too much but video is a different creature than audio. You need the proper ratio.

I'd call that "Good Marketing Practice"

Get everyone hooked on the concept, then release and re-release new models with slight changes all the time, demanding money each time.

Sounds a bit like Star Wars DVDs, don't it ?
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    That's different. That's ACCEPTABLE marketing practices (It's Star Wars, you know I'll support it ). APPLE is just being stupid in releasing a non widescreen video player first thats all
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lossless audio codecs like SHN, FLAC and APE.
    High Quality stereo recording in PCM at 24/96
    Gapless playback
    Replaceable battery
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    That's different.
    Not really. Essentially the same shit, maybe a new feature or two, repackaged, and re-released.

That's ACCEPTABLE marketing practices (It's Star Wars, you know I'll support it ). APPLE is just being stupid in releasing a non widescreen video player first thats all
    OOOO-K. So what you're saying is that if it's STAR WARS it's acceptable, but if someone else does it, it's being stupid and it's different ?

Oh, the hypocrisy !
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dr_Layne
    Lossless audio codecs
    It already plays wav. That's about as lossless as you can get.

For most audio players, I'd like them have more like a PC OS. I know that some are "kinda" drag and drop, but that's just the tip of it. I want to play just a folder, have an more intuitive interface, and generally be more user-friendly. The closest I've gotten is putting linux on my 4G Nano (but then that also includes Doom and other bells and whistles that leaves the original OS in the crapper).
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd like to see it go away. It's too small and too expensive. My eyes can't focus on the flippin' thing. Take it away.....
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by yoda313
    That's nothing. My cousin bought an iPod Photo last year and a week later the iPod Video came out for the same price.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Wi-Fi network capability so you can walk around without having to load the POD with music. Just select music from your networked PC.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an iPod Nano, and it does everything I need. I don't want it to do anything else.

If you ask me what I want: I want other music players, as many as possible, to support the AAC/MP4/M4A format. I don't want to be stuck with the iPod, no matter how much I like it, so I'd like to see AAC becoming as popular as MP3.

As far as Apple is concerned, iPod did its job, and it did well: it sold well. As far as I am concerned, the same iPod does its job: it plays music well, and it's so popular that it significantly contributes to the acceptance of AAC as a successor of MP3. This is what I would like to see happening.

I'm tired of sticking to the inferior MP3 format just because there is no agreement who's the "better" successor. AAC is both high-quality and commercially-viable. (Sorry, fans of Microsoft) WMA is commercially viable, but regular WMA is inferior to AAC, and WMAPro, which is as good as AAC, isn't supported by almost any device. (Sorry, fans of Ogg) Vorbis is as good as AAC, but it's not commercially viable (no support for DRM.....) which is why most major music player manufacturers do NOT to support it.

Among all music formats, AAC has real chances to succeed. I was glad to see AAC supported by Sony's latest players, and I'd like to see the same AAC support in Creative. I am still stuck with MP3, because I need to be sure that my music plays on any decent music player, and AAC is still not the king. Thanks to iPod, AAC is supported on 70% (or whatever) of the music players ... because iPod is 70% (or whatever) of the music players.

Long story short, I am looking forward to seeing a good and future-proof successor of MP3. iPod did its job from this point of view by pushing AAC. Other than that, it's a damn good music player, and I don't need anything else from it.
    Cosmin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cool Topic,

I am diggin' my 5G 60 gig iPod, the videos I do with Nero Digital look great on a regular CRT TV, I haven't burned a DVD in months! It will output to TV in widescreen anyway so I don't see what all the whining is about even if they do release a widescreen version, I would guess that most users who are into the video side of things use TV out a majority of the time anyway.

My personal wish list would include AVI (DivX)playback, Full D1 resolution AVC playback, FM/TV Tuner, Better chapter seeking and replaceable batteries. Just my $.02
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by GMaq
    My personal wish list would include AVI (DivX)playback, Full D1 resolution AVC playback...
    I don't see Apple allowing for that which they don't have complete control over. I have a 5G 60GB unit too and I would love to be able to put videos on it with resolutions greater than 320x240. I'd even settle for Half D1. It is remarkable how good the Nero Digital stuff looks on a large screen though, isn't it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Jack&Water
    If you go Nero Digital Standard instead of Nero Digital AVC then you can increase the resolution to 512x384 (4:3) or 624x352 (16:9) sure the file size may be 15-20% bigger than an AVC file with a 320x240 res. but who cares you've got 60 gigs of space, it's not like it has to fit on a CD or anything. I've noticed that the larger resolutions really improve picture quality as long as you use a bitrate around 1000 kbps.
    Quote Quote