VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !

Poll: What do you do to waste time at work?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Surf the net!

A poll from daamon.
    Quote Quote  
  2. thats why jobs are going to Asia
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wish I could slack off, but I can't. It's solid flow 'til hometime!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    See what Internet sites my users have been visiting.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mattso
    I wish I could slack off, but I can't. It's solid flow 'til hometime!
    Ditto for me. The company I work for is run by former members of the Sicherheitspolizei.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Where is the "I don't have a job" option?
    Cole
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Watch movies!
    (I'm a projectionist)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    surf, babe.

anyone surprised that a poll of internet users puts using the internet at the top?

nah, me neither.
    never absorb anything bigger than your own head
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    60% of my time each day is spent on useless conference calls. Not trying to be funny but two years ago we actually had a guy die (of a heart attack) on a conference call and everybody thought that he just got disconnected.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by dwill123
    60% of my time each day is spent on useless conference calls. Not trying to be funny but two years ago we actually had a guy die (of a heart attack) on a conference call and everybody thought that he just got disconnected.
    That is funny, though. In a black way. Make a great scene in a movie.

Although I suppose it may also be symbolic of our working culture -- I was just reading in the news the other day that, in the USA, people are working more hours but are less productive. Basically, we're killing ourselves.

Well, other people are killing themselves, anyway; me, I hope if I end up dying behind my keyboard at work that I'm not sending a note to videohelp.com at the time! :P Seriously, I work tech support for a university and, as good tech support people know, surfing the web can be a very valid way to find information that you can use during the course of your job. Like when a computer crashes and you get some error message -- somebody else out there probably has had the same problem so why reinvent the wheel, just go hit Google. And if in the process you end up testing some new mpeg converter software, that's just killing two birds with one stone!
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm doing it at this very moment . . . .
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not doing it at this very moment...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Where's the " Flirt with the girls (coworkers)" option? I enjoy getting around and shooting the B/S with the better looking female coworkers.
    I stand up next a mountain and chop it down with the ledge of my hand........ I'm a Voodoo child.... Jimi Hendrix,
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    I'm not doing it at this very moment...
    You mean keeping tabs on this herd of cats is actually a job?
    Just kidding . . . 8)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Back when I was a practicing electrician I saw a time wasting practice akin to the "walk around with a piece of paper looking important" option. I had been farmed out (my employer loaned me to another electrical contractor). It was a huge job employing over 50 electricians. There was one guy who would pick up a stick of conduit first thing in the morning and just walk around the building all day carrying it. The whole time I was on that job I don't think I ever saw him do anything else.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  16. When we are slow, Surf the web, Play Spider Solitaire, Plug in the External drive from home and Author/Burn a DVD. Daydream!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just sort of zone out. Like the guy on Office Space.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I voted for OTHER because my solution to "wasting time" is taking a smoke break

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can't help being drawn to playing Mahjong Solitaire:

www.freegames.ws/games/boardgames/mahjong/freemahjong.htm

WARNING: Don't click the above link - It's addictive!

Rules and Objective. Note: There's four of each tile. All the "flower / plant" like tiles are considered the same, as are the four different women.
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
  20. oh man...

I check out VideoHelp, DMNForums, Cnet, Cnn, and lots of other sites. Then I'll load Doom off of my mp3 player (archos AV500) and play that for a while, then maybe move to Duke Nukem 3d or Quake.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i picked 'walk around with paper' but honestly i fall asleep from time to time too!
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Other than taking care of sick or dying relatives (which is REAL work) I haven't held a job since injuring myself at work more than 6 years ago.....
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ....participate in message threads like this.....

<grin!>
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    There was one guy who would pick up a stick of conduit first thing in the morning and just walk around the building all day carrying it.
    Variation on a theme: At work sometimes I'll need to go for a walk just to clear my head, some quiet time, and inevitably (sp?) when you do something like that you end up running into people who say, "Oh, hey, good to see you, have you got a minute, I've just got a quick question." So I don't get my peace and quiet time.

Unless on the way out of my office I pick up an old PC power supply, CD-ROM, mouse, basically anything that is both easy to carry and obviously geeky in appearance. Then I can go for a walk and nobody stops me or bothers me because I must be on a tech call.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ive only read two polls thats had yoda as an option or answer but both of them had had no responce from him.. why is that? or is it just that i havent read all the polls lately? i hope he doesnt take offence to them. i mean hes the new tgpo and that should be an good thing to him.

but to answer the poll i surf the net. but i also spend time in other departments talking to the other people (women) so when im away from my desk it makes me look busy.. gung ho all the way lol..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I masturbate often and then try and collect Dis-ability for my carpole tunnel
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HAMP
    I masturbate often and then try and collect Dis-ability for my carpole tunnel
    You too?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not long ago, my employer used to hassle people who (in the opinion of supervisors) went to the bathroom too often. However, when they threatened one employee with disciplinary action, she called up OSHA and filed a complaint. OSHA apparently "had words" with my employer, telling them that a 1998 interpretation of 29 CFR 1910.141(c)(1)(i) requires employers to provide access to bathroom facilities whenever they're needed ... and that failure to do so would lead to a citation ($$$). So cited, it could also lead to a lawsuit for harassment. My employer dropped the planned disciplinary action in a heartbeat.

So, whenever someone wants to "waste time" at work, they generally just go to the bathroom. I know people who use that ploy but I don't. During slow moments, I generally just look out the window and daydream.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i picked surf the net but

wheres the "all of the above" option
    Quote Quote