VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a BVP-4 which I have been using to adjust some old home videos. The problem is that I am a complete novice & am worried that my video signal may be out of nstc spec (either too light or too dark).

So I am looking for some sort of hardware device that I can hook into my video chain to monitor the black and white levels (or anything else applicable) of the signal coming from my BVP-4.

Does such a thing exist? My only requirements are that it needs to be fairly cheap and fairly SIMPLE to understand and read (I do not have time to learn a super-complex tool).

An example of the functionality I am looking for is the SignVideo Proc Amp's built in LED meter.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I know Vegas editing suite has built in scopes you could use to adjust your bvp-4, providing you are going into your computer with the signal and not in to a standalone.

Here's a link to an official 30-day trial version:
    http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/download/step2.asp?did=583

The trial is fully functioning but you can not import or export files that are compressed with codecs that require liscenses, i.e. - mpeg-2,mp3,ac3.

hope this helps,
    peace,
    chris
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I am willing to think about using software. Are the scopes easy to understand, or does the program include a help file about them?

While we're at it, are there any other software solutions?
    Quote Quote  
  4. The black level scope is really easy to read. I'm not sure where in this forum I read about it but it was on vhelp. Their should be a carrier line called blanking at 0 (RGB level) then starting around 16 you should see the signal level begin and stay strong through 235. You do not want to have a signal above 235 or below 16 aside from the carrier. If you are using color bars on tape the scope will look like a stair step. Again search for "vegas scope" in the forum and you should be able to come up with pictures.

For color adjustments, using color bars on tape you try and get dots on the scope to line up with their corresponding brackets.

I'm new to this all too, but I've been reading my ass off making sure I do things right; so I know where you are coming from. I hope this all helps.

Another software tool you can use for less precise adjustments is TMpgenc. Which has a histogram function, but without a numerical scale to base it on you'd have to load in a pro-authored DVD to take a look at what your histogram should look like with properly authored material, and then compare it to what you're getting. Unlike Vegas, this would not be in real time and would probably be a pain in the ass if you had a lot of transfers.

AVID and other software probably all have the same (scope) type of feature.

peace, chris
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This might sound stupid, but is this as accurate as, say, an external monitor (like the one on the signvideo proc amp)?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't know, I'd say if you are capturing on the PC then it is probably more accurate because you can compensate for any setup errors in the capture card; but (comma, pause for effect) I really don't know and the above statement is just an opinion.

peace, chris
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, suffice to say it's better than nothing. I'll look into it.
    Quote Quote