VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I used to work in a TV shop back in the 80s and 90s. we found the best way was to take 2 nice clean crisp 1$ bills and fold them into 1/4 dip one of them into denatured alcohol (we had a dummy cassette so it would go into play mode) with the head spinning gently press the wet end against it while holding the other end then repeat with the dry one. Make sure it is dry before you insert a tape.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by TOM11 View Post
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    The cleaning tapes which used chamois and cleaning solution (rather than abrasive tape) were actually not only safe but reasonably effective.
    Which cleaning tapes used chamois?
    This is the one I still own. I haven't used it in years, so I suspect the chamois may be pretty stiff:

Allsop V VHS Head Cleaning Videocassette Non-Abrasive Wet Kit
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I haven't used it in years, so I suspect the chamois may be pretty stiff:
    And is it good situation??
    Do you not recommend dry/wet from renowned brands such as JVC, BASF, etc.?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by TOM11 View Post
    I haven't used it in years, so I suspect the chamois may be pretty stiff:
    And is it good situation??
    Do you not recommend dry/wet from renowned brands such as JVC, BASF, etc.?
    The translation may not be accurate because I am not sure what you mean.

I am not an expert who can tell you what cleaning cassettes were available thirty years ago, back when they were being manufactured and sold. The only brand that I know about which used a chamois and alcohol solution, just like a professional would use, was the Allsop brand that I already linked to.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by n8tvm View Post
    I used to work in a TV shop back in the 80s and 90s. we found the best way was to take 2 nice clean crisp 1$ bills and fold them into 1/4 dip one of them into denatured alcohol (we had a dummy cassette so it would go into play mode) with the head spinning gently press the wet end against it while holding the other end then repeat with the dry one. Make sure it is dry before you insert a tape.
    These days, due to inflation, do you think a $20 bill would work better?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Barrythecrab View Post
    Originally Posted by n8tvm View Post
    These days, due to inflation, do you think a $20 bill would work better?

For even more effective cleaning, we need to use modern methods, particularly PayPass.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    12voltvids uses the back of his finger nail and gently touch the spinning heads, It works instantly.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    12voltvids uses the back of his finger nail and gently touch the spinning heads, It works instantly.
    He mentioned it, but did not explain how exactly to do it. Just the back of a nail? Not the edge?
    Quote Quote