VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    in one of the posts of this thread ...

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=293200

A person mentions he can't record TV shows because of the copy protection flag ...

Which DVD Recorders are being built with this ... and what shows are including this.

So far ... my Pioneer and my Panasonic DVD Recorders are not having any problems ... are the 2006 models going to include this.

My Walmart has a few Pioneer DVD Recorders sitting up on the shelf ...
    The Pioneer DVR-233-S ... is at www.walmart.com ... for $198 but the Pioneer at my Walmart is selling for $180.

The JVC DRM100S is also at Walmart dot com ... for $238.

hmmm .... are they already bugged or should I run down to my local Walmart and grab one now before the new ones come out with the copy protection bug.

You know ... all this hooha ... about Panasonic quality being terrible compared to JVC and Pioneer ... what will be the point ... if we can't record the TV show we are watching on our TV ... for later viewing.

What are we going to do with our DVD Recorders ... use them for archiving our VHS tapes ... I definitely have a bunch of tapes I could copy to DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My understanding is that all DVD recorders have this copy protection built-in save for the very early models probably the first couple by Panasonic and maybe the first Pioneer.

But this technology has been built-in to all DVD recorders for a while now.

I read that other thread you talk about a few days ago and it seems that his area decided to "turn on" the copyright flags whereas most other areas have not ... that or he is getting a false copy protection signal due to poor quality signal due to bad cables or long run cables etc.

I live in Pittsburgh, PA and have COMCAST and so far I have not had any problems using a Pioneer DVR-531H-s

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    If you run the video (composite or s-video) through a full frame TBC it should defeat the copy protection. The cheapest full frame TBC is the AVT-8710 which goes for around $190 USD
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have owned a Lite-on model LVW-5045 since Dec 2004 and have upgraded the firmware about 4 times. Someone came up with a hack to defeat macrovision and it has worked flawlessly for me until the last upgrade (ver 203) in Nov 2005. In this latest upgrade, MV couldn't be hacked out. I tried both the hacked and unhacked firmware and they both did the same thing.

There were a few programs that would get anywhere from 5 to 55 minutes into the recording and then stop with the error message "protected input source". When this error first showed up I didn't know about it and it was very nasty to be into an hour show and just before the ending it would stop recording. It was almost as if the providers were enabling MV just before a program ended just to piss you off. I reinstalled the previous firmware version (201) and the problem is gone.

The program that I can remember it occuring most often was "Bones". Which is on our local Fox network channel 13. This program was supplied on standard analog cable not digital. I do not have a set top box, just the coax that goes directly to the TV. My provider is Comcast and I live in the Seattle area.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All of them have that crap built into the recorder. It's up to your cable/sat provider whether they want to send out the signal or not. It also depends on what model your cable box is. Some of the older ones don't have this technology so it won't recognize the signal from the provider being sent, so your recorder will still be able to read it. Jacked up thing about it is, if you can't record stuff all of a sudden due to the flag, and have to get one of those TBC's, it probably will diminish the quality since it has to be processed through another machine before it gets to the recorder, further degrading PQ.
    Quote Quote  
  5. actually a TBC will not diminish the quality at all. They are not like those cheap on the fly copy removal devices. And in general a TBC's main purpose is not for copy removal (though that being an added benefit).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where can I get one of these? Got a link?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cahusker
    Where can I get one of these? Got a link?
    AVT-8710
    http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=AVT-8710&btnG=Search+Froogle

TBC-1000
    http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=TBC-1000&btnG=Search
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wrote to Pioneer electronics and brought this to their attention. This is their reply:
    Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.
    At this time, most TV stations, broadcasters and such are not copy-protecting their content. They do have the option to do so and may in the future. Our units will abide by the rules set by the DVD Forum
    and not copy any copy-protected material.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cahusker
    I wrote to Pioneer electronics and brought this to their attention. This is their reply:
    At this time, most TV stations, broadcasters and such are not copy-protecting their content. They do have the option to do so and may in the future. Our units will abide by the rules set by the DVD Forum
    Well DUH what did you expect them to say ???

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by cahusker
    That is all well and good. But what good will it be, to buy a recorder that wont let you record at all? I can understand not allowing you to record to removable media. But why disallow recording to a hard drive for later viewing?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys,

Facing same issues as posted here, I recently bought a modified DVD recorder, the Liteon 5005x, with a built-in copy protection remover. I'm very happy with the purchase. Records premium channels or any DVD/VHS. The same company provides also a copy protection remover device (The Videographer) that does the same but installed externally. Amazing products...
    LINK DELETED

Ocean
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, this is a VERY old post, but i'll comment anyway. Back in 2006, a repeat of "Saturday Night Live" was on, and Metallica were the musical guests. I attempted to use my Pioneer DVD recorder to record "Fuel", which they played. I got a message on the screen saying that the unit could not record the song, that it was copy protected. First time, in the year and a half since i bought the unit, that i saw that message. When it came to VHS, you would never see a message like that, or have problems recording something on the tv it was connected to. We get what we pay for, and that's big time technology that prevents us from doing what we wanna do.
    Quote Quote  
  13. But today you can just visit Hulu & watch the program for free
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    snafubaby - NOBODY CARES!!!

Really? You know how we hate crap like that where people dig up old posts to say "Me too". Thanks for nothing.
    Quote Quote