VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The movie in question has a run time of 2 hr 53 mins with 5.1 surround sound. I put the recorder on FR and set the recording time of 2 hr 54 mins. It stopped recording at 2 hr 38 mins with 12 mins of disc space remaining on SP. I try to record more material on the same disc but it says the disc is full. What gives? Is the 5.1 surround soundtrack taking up too much disc space? I've never had this problem with FR recording movie up to 2 hrs. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is it possible you just have a bad disk? Try it with a dvd-rw and see if it repeats.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried 2 Verbatim Videoguard +R and they both stopped at the same spot with FR. I've never had problem with Verbatim on this recorder until now. These are decent blanks with no surface imperfection whatsoever. On the other hand, I tried Panasonic DVD-RAM recording the same movie on 2 occassions and FR worked as expected. Any idea?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just tried the 3rd time recording the same movie using another Verbatim +R. The recorder stopped again at exactly the same spot 2h 38m, 12 mins ahead of my predetermined recording length. What gives? Could there be something wrong with FR or my ES20? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Are you trying to record a video that allows "one time only recording"? This type of broadcast cannot be recorded properly to dvd-r, dvd-rw, or dvd+r. It does work with cprm compatible dvd-ram.
    Quote Quote  
  6. "It stopped recording at 2 hr 38 mins with 12 mins of disc space remaining on SP."

SP is only 2 hours....

It needs some room to finalize your disk I bet.

Why don't you just use LP mode?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by trhouse
    Are you trying to record a video that allows "one time only recording"? This type of broadcast cannot be recorded properly to dvd-r, dvd-rw, or dvd+r. It does work with cprm compatible dvd-ram.
    No, I'm making a backup copy of a movie DVD that I own with Sima GoDVD video enhancer in between to take care of MV.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy
    "It stopped recording at 2 hr 38 mins with 12 mins of disc space remaining on SP."

SP is only 2 hours....

It needs some room to finalize your disk I bet.

Why don't you just use LP mode?
    LP sucks big time PQ wise...

FR should take care of the disk space problem. The manual says just input the length of the program. It should take care of the rest and record a full disc with best PQ possible but it's not doing what it's supposed to.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I would suggest a test with a video that long that is known to not be copyrighted and see if it works.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did, you try a DVD-R disc, the previous accepted native format of the earlier panny recorders?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have had the same problem with mine. The Maxell DVD-R works and so does the TDK's DVD+R's. There may be others that work as well, its up to you to try them. Let me know if you find success with others, please. The following DVD+R's don't work if you want to record over 2 hours: NexXtech, Memorex, Sony, and Verbatim. There may be others don't work, its up to you to try them. Otherwise, they work just fine if you want to record under 2hrs. The new firmware upgrade won't resolve the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check here for a lot of info on the ES-20 pertaining to this problem:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=586960
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Mikdee! By the way, I'm a new to this, but why would one format a disc? I mean, what's the purpose of formatting a blank DVD? Don't they come ready to use?
    Quote Quote  
  14. You can't format a write once dvd & that wasn't what they were referring to

You can format a dvdram though.
    Quote Quote