VideoHelp Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. We just got a huge snowfall here, over a foot which is the largest in several years. Anyway I went out to move some of it off the driveway ect and put my sansa e140 mp3 player in my pocket, all safe inside all my coats and layers. I listened to it for the whole time shoveling and when I came in I took it out (mind you the music was still playing, no problems) and found this:

Looks like a broken LCD screen to me, what do you think? It wasn't like there were sharp objects in my pocket to make it crack, and it was in the case they give you to protect it. I tried poking around sandisk's site for some support help but all I found was this page which doesn't seem to cover mp3 players:
    http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Warranty.aspx

I originally purchased this at Circuit City, but I'm guessing that they won't be able to do anything anyway. Do you think this is covered under the warranty or is there a way to fix this?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I had one LCD display frozen once when I left it in my car overnight, but it didn't look that bad. It shouldn't have gotten that cold in your pocket anyway. I wonder if something was pressing against the display and damaged the LCD layers?

About all you can do is get a RMA from Sandisk and take your chances. Their warranty seems a little vague. I've gotten some luck by writing a nice letter telling them 'how much you love your device and you can't live without it' and they might be more sympathetic. Can't hurt.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by redwudz
    I had one LCD display frozen once when I left it in my car overnight, but it didn't look that bad. It shouldn't have gotten that cold in your pocket anyway. I wonder if something was pressing against the display and damaged the LCD layers?

About all you can do is get a RMA from Sandisk and take your chances. Their warranty seems a little vague. I've gotten some luck by writing a nice letter telling them 'how much you love your device and you can't live without it' and they might be more sympathetic. Can't hurt.
    Yeah it probably pressed against something but I had it in my pocket and the lcd was facing towards me, I'm not really sure what to think. I know it wasn't frozen because I had so many layers on over that.

Their warranty says it doesn't cover "3rd party devices" but this doesn't fall under that so they should in theory replace it, after all it probably was a weak display. Unfortunately this means me calling, mailing, and then waiting for them to send it back, probably at least 2 months.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

EXACT SAME PROBLEM..similar genesis.
    It was in my BACKPACK in a padded case by Ambico when it happened to my 3 month old player yesterday (FEB 17)

I hope I can get that RMA also..Then I'll buy an iPod!
    Note: I turned mine on for the pic..
    see how little display is left on the bottom right...sucks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by dcsos

EXACT SAME PROBLEM..similar genesis.
    It was in my BACKPACK in a padded case by Ambico when it happened to my 3 month old player yesterday (FEB 17)

I hope I can get that RMA also..Then I'll buy an iPod!
    Note: I turned mine on for the pic..
    see how little display is left on the bottom right...sucks
    Wow, that's the exact same problem!!!!

Did you contact support, did they give you a new one or a refund?
    Quote Quote  
  6. don't buy an ipod...........the audio quality is craptastic, do yourself a favor and get a creative zen instead....MUCH more solid players imo....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry..Haven't made an attempt yet..but sooon!

they're not open till monday 9am and besides ?
    I don't see a phone ####
    I thought iPods tested great in sound qual...the damaged SANSA
    worked ok without that bogus SRS eq they include..
    I would just use the built in equalizer to jack up bass and treb slightly
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by dcsos
    Sorry..Haven't made an attempt yet..but sooon!

they're not open till monday 9am and besides ?
    I don't see a phone ####
    I thought iPods tested great in sound qual...the damaged SANSA
    worked ok without that bogus SRS eq they include..
    I would just use the built in equalizer to jack up bass and treb slightly
    I'm not sure if they will give me a $$ refund. Do you think it is worth it to give the Sansa another shot? I liked this combination of features that it had, if you could show me another player like it I might go with that:

-> Realitively inexpensive
    -> FM Tuner
    -> Expansion slot for more memory
    -> Flash memory - no moving parts = less problems hopefully
    -> Good battery life as well as removeable battery

The number you can call is 1-866-SANDISK, after calling I had to email them a photo of it along with a description, I did that on Friday and haven't heard back yet, I will probably early this week though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I took a different route finding i already had an "EBOX" at Sansa from the issue regarding FIRMWARE update to 'see' the SD chips in the field
    (at first, the E130 player didn't recognize a new SD drive inserted in the field - until re-docked by USB) So I sent a RMA request with description of the problem thru my "E_BOX" thingy..I assume If they don't respond in a timely fashion i will call, thanks...!
    No, wouldn't expect a refund, but would take one if offered!
    (And buy a camera to use them sd chipppies)

I got this response... so far..... a RMA...... but no instructions!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Let me know if and when you get a response, I will do the same.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I recieved a response today from RMA stating that my request for return has been approved. I'm not sure if this means a cash refund or just an exchange, we'll see
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by whitejremiah
    don't buy an ipod...........the audio quality is craptastic, do yourself a favor and get a creative zen instead....MUCH more solid players imo....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    24 hrs have goneby and nothing has been done to the SANSA SUPPORT REQUEST..
    Like you I'm in the dark.. Where do I return it to and what to expect are not clear.
    The E 130 needs repair but how?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by dcsos
    24 hrs have goneby and nothing has been done to the SANSA SUPPORT REQUEST..
    Like you I'm in the dark.. Where do I return it to and what to expect are not clear.
    The E 130 needs repair but how?
    Yes, its now been 24 hours since I sent my response with address ect. I'm not happy with them, I expect a response within 24 hours, they should be on top of things with their support
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    THEY RESPONDED WITH A REQUEST FOR MORE INFO
    BUT I WASN'T ABLE TO COMPLY FULLY WITH HIS REQUEST BECAUSE THEIR INPUT FORMS WERE GREYED OUT!,
    anyway after his post is my response:
    SanDisk Response: (02/21/2006 09:40)
    Hello,

Thank You for contacting Sandisk Technical Support.

By answering your email, we have created an eBox account to register your product
    with the information you have sent us.
    Please take a moment to update the Registration Information in this eBox account
    to complete product and personal information. This will facilitate the replacement
    process in the future if necessary.

To do so, go to www.sandisk.com, in the upper left of the webpage, select "My Account".
    Select the "If this is your first time here, please register" tab. Fill out the information and click on "SUBMIT".

Go to your EBOX and login with your Username and Password which was sent to the email address originally used to contact us.

Once you login click on my profile, put in your personal information and press submit at the bottom.
    Click on "my addresses" at the very bottom, put in your personal information and press submit.
    As a last step click on "My Stuff" tab, and make sure all the SanDisk products are registered. If not, you can click on the "Add Another Item" tab and fill out the information. Please reply with the following information:
    1. Place of Purchase (Name of Store and City)?
    2. Serial number?
    3. Date of purchase?

Please email me back when this is done. Include in your message the three details.

Best Regards,
    Ofir A.
    Sandisk Technical support
    (Hebrew & English support)

US +1 (866) 726 3475
    ISRAEL 1-809-440513
    UK +44 (207) 3654 193
    ==================================
    MY RESPONSE:
    Your Response: (02/21/2006 09:40)
    You said: Please email me back when this is done. I'm hoping this is what you asked for as you gave no EMAIL ADDRESS 1. Circit City New York 2. ax0508da00xxxx 3. 12/ 1/ 06 Note I was,nt able to enter this info into MY EBOX .as there is no way to enter the date of purchase or store.. (fields never appear STARRED or updateable) So Do I have to send you the unit? .. Where? How? -Danny
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it normal in the US to go back to the manufacturer if a product develops a fault? UK law states it is the responsibility of the retailer to arrange repair, replace or refund. Let them argue it out with the manufacturer. If they don't get any joy, you haven't lost out but the retailer won't stock that product for long if he has to cover the cost of any faulty ones.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Over here the retailers never lift a finger
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by dcsos
    Over here the retailers never lift a finger
    The retailers are useless for most products, they simply refer you to the manufacturer which basically means weeks of crap trying to get in contact and get everything in order - as this experience is turning out to be. We should follow the UK's example!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Garabaldi, isn't it odd the techsupport guy lists 3 phone ###'s including one in Israel?
    Like he wants a call.. Maybe i should see if I can SKYPE it...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by whitejremiah
    don't buy an ipod...........the audio quality is craptastic, do yourself a favor and get a creative zen instead....MUCH more solid players imo....

Horrible lack of updates I've had many people say about the Creative MP3 players, instead of updating the existing one they just release 24 new models every 10 days.

Go with the iPod my Audio Quality is just fine, and my cousin says his is fine also. He is an Audio Engineer who says anything except full 320k Mp3s suck.
    Quote Quote  
  21. 320k/s mp3 playback......well that depends on the device it's played back on....honestly, in my opinion at least, creative's tend to have a bit cleaner sound quality than the output that ipods throw out..............personally between the two players, i'd never TOUCH an ipod.......that's also just my opinion, but i suppose, your money to throw away, feel free to throw it away on whatever you want.....also, just so your aware, even 320k/s mp3 IS in fact lossy, so maybe you should teach him all about lossless compression.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    He knows its lossy. We've had many conversations about audio. Most of which goes well over my head. He decided that 320 sounds good enough for his taste and like I said doesn't complain about the iPod audio wise.

My iPod video sounds wonderful.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Congratulaions to SANSA.. I hpoe my repaired one lasts!
    I think I'm gonna keep using this device because they've paid for the RMA shipping by FED EX:
    TODAY:
    -----------------------------------------------
    Please login to your eBox at the SanDisk website to receive your complimentary Fedex label.
    1. Login to your eBox
    2. Click the 'Support Request' tab
    3. Click the RMA ID number
    4. Click on the link 'Get your FedEx Shipping Label'
    5. You will receive a separate email from FedEx with your label and mailing instructions. Please carefully read and follow the instructions on that page to print your label.

YOU WILL HAVE 14 DAYS FROM THE TIME THE FEDEX EMAIL IS GENERATED TO ACCESS AND PRINT YOUR LABEL.
    Once printed, you MUST ship your product the same day. When shipping your RMA, please take the package to any conveniently located FedEx Drop-Off or FedEx/Kinkos location. Do NOT call FedEx to pick-up your package as this will incur unwanted charges. Note that your complimentary label is only valid for packages that are DROPPED OFF at a FedEx location

-------------
    THANKS SANSA
    Quote Quote  
  24. I also got this email after calling their tech support, which was very helpful. I am going to print the label and mail it tomorrow, hopefully the shipping there and back won't take very long. Let me know how long it takes for you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FRIDAY AM UPDATE:
    Replacement Product: SanDisk Sansa e130

now just 2 days altho a delivery dates not set yet
    Meanwhile while I'd never consider this as my primary player as it is only $14.99 but I might get one for BACKUP!
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1638005&CatId=1695
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BRAND NEW UNIT RECEIVED TODAY 10/9/2006
    Thanks SANSA
    Quote Quote  
  27. Yep I recieved mine a few days ago - I'm glad to get it back!! Now I just need to find the place with the best price on a 1GB SD card for additional memory

Also dcsos I read somewhere that the player can display lyrics, have you figured out how?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dunno the cheapest (about $35.00 would be perfect, I've seen 'em for $39.95)
    but look!
    http://www.adata.com.tw/adata_en/product_detail.php?ProductNo=109

Haven't seen the lyrics don't you need a "lyric firmware" update?
    Quote Quote  
  29. That's a good question although I don't think so. Could you mess around with your mp3s and see if you can get one to show up? I'm working on it too but not having any luck
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I suspect that is only a feature of the screen bearing SANSA's
    that haven't hit the stores yet
    http://tinyurl.com/dz44x
    but tests with WMA LYRICS & ITUNES LYRICS on our unit with firmware
    1.0.010a (most recent) shows nothing!

did you like MICKEY's SD drives?
    Quote Quote