VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a video recorded from sat. It has a lot of problems. I tried several ways to convert it to DVD-mpeg 2 but the A/V sync problem is still there. However it plays OK. So I was wondering if I could "recapture" it from my hard drive to AVI like I capture it from any other external devices? Are there any software with this function? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    is the source out of sync? then wont any recapturing help that much.
    if it is a mpeg2 dvb source use projectx to demux/repair and the convert.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The source file plays Ok.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    ok..so you are saying you have a video file on your computer that plays ok..but when you try to encode to mpeg2 it gets out of sync?

then your problem is during encoding, not capturing.
    is your source file and destination mpeg file on the same hard drive? if so you need to put the destination mpeg on a seperate hard drive. if you don't have a seperate hard drive then get a seperate hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "wondering if I could "recapture" it from my hard drive to AVI "

While the correct answer is to fix your processing, the problem with capture is going to be getting around the limitations of a single PC. You'll need to record to a separate device (tape deck, PC etc.), or use a screen capture codec, like the one Microsoft offers. Quality will be an issue, because you'll lose some.
    Quote Quote  
  6. greymalkin,

I will try to encode it to different HD. Does it really matter with hard drives when encoding?

mikiem,

I am also interested in getting the screen capture. Where could I download it?

Thank you all.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by greymalkin
    ok..so you are saying you have a video file on your computer that plays ok..but when you try to encode to mpeg2 it gets out of sync?

then your problem is during encoding, not capturing.
    Totally agree

is your source file and destination mpeg file on the same hard drive? if so you need to put the destination mpeg on a seperate hard drive. if you don't have a seperate hard drive then get a seperate hard drive.
    Total bollocks

If you are re-encoding, any single hard drive will be about 10000 times faster than your encode speed.
    If your saved file is playing ok on your computer, then it's down to the way you're re-encoding. You didn't say what format your sat. saved file is in, so it's pretty hard to help you.
    Quote Quote  
  8. My original file is in mpeg2 format as well as my destination file. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "I am also interested in getting the screen capture. Where could I download it? "

Microsoft includes one I believe in wmencoder9, but also googled on "video codec screen capture" and found 2 in the 1st three results out of almost 2 mill. hits.

Still might research DVB video though. There's an awful lot of info, including what others do & have done with DVB to get DVD video. From what I've read audio repairs are somewhat common.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by KBeee
    Total bollocks

If you are re-encoding, any single hard drive will be about 10000 times faster than your encode speed.
    If your saved file is playing ok on your computer, then it's down to the way you're re-encoding. You didn't say what format your sat. saved file is in, so it's pretty hard to help you.
    I'm just giving real world experience...theoretical statements about hard drive speed doesn't change this fact. It is a "best practice" to have a secondary hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  11. FWIW you didn't mention the source....

Is it a capture through a capture device or is it extracted from the sat hard drive?

if the latter than running it through VideoReDo quickstreamfix tool has fixed many problems for me.

I use for many mpg problems. To fix corrupt files or files with sync problems. It can also be set to correct GOP size errors.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks, mikiem.

TBoneit, I haven't used VideoRoDo yet. I will try. Thanks.

greymalkin, in fact I have two Hard Drives, both are 120G. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  13. If the sound is good when you just watch captured video and out of sync when you convert it use CoolEdit to extract that sound then mux with converted dvd. Then it shoud play normaly!
    Cann't tell it's possible don't tell anything.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Try the Demux function in TMPGenc. See if there is a padding stream, and if it has any significant size. If so, this is likely your problem. Running the file thru the Merge and Cut function usually solves this.

The padding stream is used in some way to correct synch. You must demux and remux using a program that uses this correction file. Trial and error is the only way I know of to determine which programs will do this. TMPGenc does, apparently Womble and Videoredo also, though TMPGenc's Merge and Cut is the only one I have completely tested and can verify it does in fact perform this function.
    Quote Quote  
  15. TBoneit, I tried VideoReDo. It seemed not working.

Nelson37, I couldn't see any padding stream when I use TMPGEnce. I tried correct but got the same result. It seems not sound.

kurbads, are there other alternative softwares available? Colledit is $300.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Another question:

Before I had a standalone sat receiver and I captured the programs through my camcorder to avi file. Then the convertion was good without any problem. Now I use Twinhan's starBox that captures it to mpeg2. When I convert the file there are always errors. So I just wonder if I can capture it to avi directly to avoid any errors? My Twinhan StarBox is a USB external. Is there any way to capture it through USB? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  17. mikiem,

I dowloaded a screen capture codec. After I installed it I can see nothing, not even know where I installed it. So I don't know how to use it.

For the DVB covertion, everytime I do through ProjectX--TMPGEnce, it takes a long time (even minutes ) to fastforward or jump when playing. The captured video doesn't have this problem.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do you use Merge and Cut to add the padding stream? It keeps telling me it's not a mpeg file.

And, can you add a private stream (whatever that is) the same way?
    Quote Quote  
  19. You don't add the padding stream, Merge and Cut does NOT add anything at all.

The padding stream must be taken into account when editing. Some softwares ignore it, this leads to synch issues. It is created during capture, no way I know of to make one manually.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?
    Quote Quote